TV: Silicon Valley Pt 2

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Pretty sure really all he said was "Hiroki, thank you." I think he said "gozaimasu" at the end but I don't remember what that means, but I'm pretty sure it's nothing important.

If he said "Ohayo gozaimasu" he was saying "Good morning!" In fact, according to my translation book, gozaimasu seems to only be associated with good morning.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Now that episode was hilarious. Finally an episode that flows organically and gave the crew a victory of sorts. The scene with Erlich coughing up a storm was hilarious. :laugh:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Our boys win again. Why do they have to always win? I don't think I can handle this much winning :sarcasm:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Best episode so far.

Something of a shame to lose Jack cause I thought as a character he was good for the show. But as a plot device he was an annoying hindrance.

Our boys win again. Why do they have to always win? I don't think I can handle this much winning :sarcasm:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah Laurie was not intolerable this episode. It's almost like the writers have figured out we don't like her schtick so they just toned down her weird rigidness

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Best episode so far.

Something of a shame to lose Jack cause I thought as a character he was good for the show. But as a plot device he was an annoying hindrance.

Agree, the guy playing Jack is a really quality character actor. Was great on Deadwood years ago...but agree also glad he's gone.

I've enjoyed the bit of misdirection with them seemingly constructing Laurie as an emotionless robot...and then she actually takes his slight personally and jumps on the first opportunity to pay him back by taking him out.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I kinda hope not. He's pretty much the best non core group character since Gavin. I did like Russ though. But in more of a oh look at this rich wacky ****.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
"Wait 4 seconds. You can skip the ad after."
"No, it's the kind where you have to watching the whole ****ing thing.."
"Thought we stopped doing those."

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That was about as good as Silicon Valley gets. On-point industry references, organic/clever plot turns that are uncontrived, and packed with inspired gags/character moments.

The Endframe employee scene, every Gavin scene, Richard's climax-killing head-smack, Gilfoyle/the developers being incapable of not being perfectionists, that Bull-dog scene, Big Head being Big Head, Jared's consoling of Monica, and Erlich's coughing fit revelation. All gold.

Just about perfect. No missteps at all. Felt like one of the better episodes of season 1.
If anything, this episode works against your argument/eye-rolling dismissal of those complaints-- Didn't you suggest that relentlessly contrived conflicts were a necessity for keeping the show engaging/interesting that should be accepted and that even an episode without it would be doomed to be uninteresting/lame? This episode answers/avoids every one of those reservations and proves that it can be successfully done with flying colors.

The reason it's worth pointing out is because dismissing those reservations actually takes away well deserved credit from how exceptionally great these episodes are when they come along and fully earn it.

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
When Gavin didn't recognize all of those ex-Hooli staff members that were re-hired with the Endframe purchase...too funny. :laugh:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The reason it's worth pointing out is because dismissing those reservations actually takes away well deserved credit from how exceptionally great these episodes are when they come along and fully earn it.

And you don't think that perhaps an episode like this is so satisfying because we only get it ~twice per season? The counterargument was always that their success should be sporadic-- not that it shouldn't happen.

If they were racking up super-awesome wins like this 3+ times in a 10-episode season, they wouldn't be nearly as satisfying.

You also can't complain about things like "build me a box" being contrived conflicts and then turn around and praise the episode that resolves the conflict. You wouldn't have had this success without that conflict.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
And you don't think that perhaps an episode like this is so satisfying because we only get it ~twice per season? The counterargument was always that their success should be sporadic-- not that it shouldn't happen.

If they were racking up super-awesome wins like this 3+ times in a 10-episode season, they wouldn't be nearly as satisfying.
Actually, that's not accurate. The argument was always that the ongoing conflicts should be organic, uncontrived and balanced-- not that they shouldn't happen regularly. The counterargument from Kurtz was that an episode that takes any sort of a break from that would be incredibly boring and uninteresting, akin to Entourage.

We don't need to keep this going, but it doesn't make sense for him to be all "I told you so about it" when this episode works against what he was saying.

I never suggested that "build me a box" was contrived. Conflicts are required for resolutions to be satisfying, but contrivances aren't.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad