Confirmed with Link: Signed: Vladislav Namestnikov (2X2)

Dec 26, 2019
Kamloops B.C
How I see the roster

Mantha-Larkin-Zadina
Bertuzzi-Fabbri-Ryan
Ganger-Filppula-Namestikov
Helm-Glendenning-Erne/Timashov/Smith

edit: Forgot Brome. Unsure where I put him since unsure how good he is

banish Nielsen to the shadow realm
I don’t mind this line up either. Whatever line combos it is it will definitely be more competitive than last year. Which isn’t saying much.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
An alright signing. It's not like we have anyone to take IT away from him at that 2C spot, and if we force feed him 17+ minutes a night, maybe he can find some of the promise he showed in Tampa.

Reactions: 14ari13

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not enough room if you factor in th kids. Trade coming?
Eventually. Helm, LGD, Gagner, Ryan, and FLip are all TDL bait.

Interestingly, we now have 3 players that can wind up playing 2C, but no real 2C.

I don't think any of the kids aside from Svech gets a roster spot. Even Brome is now questionable, they might just let him play in Sweden all season and sign a contract for next season. Basically agree to delay the experiment for one season due to COVID, because it makes sense for both parties.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
There has to be a trade coming right? I actually would mind moving a younger piece like Cholo or even a bigger name for the right package.

I can see LGD moved or Helm as they have had interest from teams in the past.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
If Yzerman buys out Abby and Nielsen in the same offseason that's as good as a cup in my mind, buyout cap hit be damned.
A Nielsen buyout barely saves any cap over the next two seasons, but it does save some money and opens up a roster spot? If Bert signs a team friendly deal maybe the Red Wings had Bert file for arbitration deliberately?

Reactions: avssuc

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
A Nielsen buyout barely saves any cap over the next two seasons, but it does save some money and opens up a roster spot? If Bert signs a team friendly deal maybe the Red Wings had Bert file for arbitration deliberately?

Perhaps, I don't doubt things like that happen. Bert does have ties with the org and all.
Personally I would just be happy to see a Nielson free roster.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
There has to be a trade coming right? I actually would mind moving a younger piece like Cholo or even a bigger name for the right package.

I can see LGD moved or Helm as they have had interest from teams in the past.
Not necessarily.

They’ll be at 14 forwards and 7 defensemen once the RFAs (Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Timashov) sign.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Again, people need to be a bit more patient. This is a great signing, because he's a legit NHL quality middle-six forward who can play on the PP and PK, and he eats a roster spot.

We need NHLers to eat roster spots, because otherwise we're ruining young players by putting them in negative situations instead of properly developing in the minors/europe.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Honestly, I think Staal would be the more likely buyout. Saves us more on the cap this year and next year, while also saving Ilitch ~$2.5m in actual money.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Perhaps, I don't doubt things like that happen. Bert does have ties with the org and all.
Personally I would just be happy to see a Nielson free roster.
Same. This is a very puzzling move given that at least some of Timashov, Smith, Pearson and Svechnikov are still likely to make the jump this next season.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
At least the extra two cap years are only $666,667. I'd still rather just bury him and not extend his hit at all though. Abdelkader is going to be a $1 mil penalty until '25-26. We should have just buried him

Reactions: SirloinUB

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yes, you are correct, it saves very little money. Plus the Wings will need warm bodies after the trade deadline. At the same time, Nielsen keeps getting physically abused every time he's on the ice, so it would be the best thing to happen to him. They could just as easily bring the kids over instead.

Buyout details, courtesy of Capfriendly as usual:

Frans Nielsen Buyout Details

Cost Calculations

BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2020$4,000,000$4,000,00024362/3$2,666,667$1,333,333$666,667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
detroit_red_wings.svg
DET)
2020-21$2,500,000$5,250,000$2,500,000$666,667$3,166,667$1,833,333$3,416,667
2021-22$1,500,000$5,250,000$1,500,000$666,667$2,166,667$833,333$4,416,667
2022-23$0$0$0$666,667$666,667-$666,667$666,667
2023-24$0$0$0$666,667$666,667-$666,667$666,667
TOTAL$4,000,000$10,500,000$4,000,000$2,666,667$6,666,667$1,333,333$9,166,668
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: avssuc

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
At least the extra two cap years are only $666,667. I'd still rather just bury him and not extend his hit at all though.
I agree, but it's not going to make a huge difference either way, given that we are on the hook for Nielsen regardless.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Same. This is a very puzzling move given that at least some of Timashov, Smith, Pearson and Svechnikov are still likely to make the jump this next season.

Maybe Yzerman does not view them as part of the future?!
Or he wants them playing in the AHL/Overseas getting bigger minutes?!

Can't rule out any trades either, Abby had an A and he got bought out so I don't think Yzerman would hesitate to trade guys like Glenny or Helm.

However it shapes up I do trust Yzerman in his role.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I agree, but it's not going to make a huge difference either way, given that we are on the hook for Nielsen regardless.
But if we just bury him we're only on the hook for this year and next. I want the team free of dead cap ASAP unless we're taking draft picks for it.

Reactions: kliq

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I may be alone on this island, but I think Nielsen is a better player than Filppula. Look at how Filppula got demolished as a 2C last year, compared to what Nielsen did at 2C the year prior.

Reactions: 14ari13

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Maybe Yzerman does not view them as part of the future?!
Or he wants them playing in the AHL/Overseas getting bigger minutes?!

Can't rule out any trades either, Abby had an A and he got bought out so I don't think Yzerman would hesitate to trade guys like Glenny or Helm.

However it shapes up I do trust Yzerman in his role.
I mean he has only made good signings this off season. He's getting bargain bin contracts for solid role players, and for no long term commitment either. It would be hard to not like any of these moves individually, or taken together as an indicator for the future direction of the team. I also wouldn't rule out that almost any player on this roster is a trade piece come the TDL. We could retain 50% and get back some nice assets from Cup Contenders.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
I mean he has only made good signings this off season. He's getting bargain bin contracts for solid role players, and for no long term commitment either. It would be hard to not like any of these moves individually, or taken together as an indicator for the future direction of the team. I also wouldn't rule out that almost any player on this roster is a trade piece come the TDL. We could retain 50% and get back some nice assets from Cup Contenders.

I agree 100%.
Also I wonder how our young core feels right now. Larkin, Bert, Mantha, I wonder if they feel better about the upcoming season knowing Yzerman went out and got them help. Does it restore some faith they may have lost due to last season? I think Bert and Manthas contract will be very telling on how they view this org.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad