Value of: Signed Taylor Hall on July 1st (trade)

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Hall is the exact type of player who declines hard in his 30's. It would be smart IMO to move Hall if discussions won't go anywhere instead of overpaying him to stay.

This honestly scares me. Once he loses his speed, he won’t be anywhere near as effective. He’s not as skilled and his IQ is not as high as the other elites that are able to remain effective well into their 30s.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
You honestly think Chia would want to reacquire Hall? Lmao

Do not underestimate Chia. I wouldn't be that surprised to wake up one day to a headline that reads "Oilers trade McDavid for Hall" and to open the article and read it was a 1 for 1 swap with a quote from Chia that says something along the lines of "Taylor's a Hart winner just like Connor, but on a better contract. It's not every day you can get a Hart winner for under 10MM".

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Oilers likely would not have even taken Barzal. 16th overall pick...NYI had some luck on that.

Hall is a superstar.

True but trading any first round pick for a guy who could never make the NHL is just awful. I won't defend that one.

Hall is a lot of things but a superstar is not one of them. He is a first line player on almost any team in the league but he is not a superstar. Even if he was though the 2015/16 Oilers already had a better superstar. Unfortunately for them their top defenceman was Sekera who was -15 and their top right handed dman was Schultz who was -22 in 45 games and eventually forced a trade by refusing to try anymore. The team was going nowhere without fixing their defence. You have to look at it in terms of team needs and frankly it seems to have worked. Believe me the Ken Hitchcock era Oilers that I have been watching the last few weeks are way better than the 2015/16 version.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ok ok.

Hall for Fleury + Necas?

Canes can't afford to move Necas for a guy who most likely won't sign long term here. I don't think they are at the spot where they are missing one thing to get them over the hump. They need goaltending fixed to start, and then they need another top 6 center at least, then add Hall and they are dangerous but they simply can't afford to gut their top end prospect pool right now.

Stay the course.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
True but trading any first round pick for a guy who could never make the NHL is just awful. I won't defend that one.

Hall is a lot of things but a superstar is not one of them. He is a first line player on almost any team in the league but he is not a superstar. Even if he was though the 2015/16 Oilers already had a better superstar. Unfortunately for them their top defenceman was Sekera who was -15 and their top right handed dman was Schultz who was -22 in 45 games and eventually forced a trade by refusing to try anymore. The team was going nowhere without fixing their defence. You have to look at it in terms of team needs and frankly it seems to have worked. Believe me the Ken Hitchcock era Oilers that I have been watching the last few weeks are way better than the 2015/16 version.

Hall just won the MVP. He is the definition of a superstar.

From San Jose, I would be willing to offer a package even more attractive than the one that we paid for Erik Karlsson, but I suspect New Jersey would ask for Timo Meier in exchange and I’m not sure that I could stomach that.

My offer would be something like:

Ivan Chekhovich or Sasha Chmelevski
Ryan Merkley
Antti Suomela
Justin Braun or Tim Heed
1st round pick

I actually think that’s a superior package to the one that we paid for Erik Karlsson.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
can see him securing a Draisaitl-type contract. 8.5 per for 6 years of somethin'

Predicting he'll sign with one of three teams in 2020: Colorado, Vegas, or Boston.
If he's thinking about winning it all, with Nathan and Rantanen in their prime, adding Taylor Hall could be the catalyst they need to go all the way.
If he's thinking about lifestyle (he was well known in Edmonton for being a bar-star, enjoying the night life), then Las Vegas is the place he'll want to go.
If he's thinking about his favourite team, the team that he wanted to be drafted to in 2010, then Boston is the city.

All 3 would have the cap space to do it

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Pretty sure you could get one of Canes good D + a solid forward prospect and pick for HALL i think that would make the most sense for both parties .

Canes got 3 Solid Center prospects in the AHL under the age of 22 & one in college maybe

1 OF Necas , Kuokkanen , Drury , Roy + Pesce + 1st top 5 protected moves to 1st 2020 unprotected For Taylor Hall

I think this trade would be pretty close to what each team is looking for and will fill the needs for both teams. Canes can afford to do this with their crazy Prospect depth

Last edited:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Do not underestimate Chia. I wouldn't be that surprised to wake up one day to a headline that reads "Oilers trade McDavid for Hall" and to open the article and read it was a 1 for 1 swap with a quote from Chia that says something along the lines of "Taylor's a Hart winner just like Connor, but on a better contract. It's not every day you can get a Hart winner for under 10MM".
Don't be dumb

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah 100%

If they made it past the ducks, or reached the finals, or even won the cup that year, does it change your opinion? If so, you can't call this the worst trade in modern history. Maybe they overachieved, maybe they didn't get enough value back, but it was worth it at the time of the trade and made them immediately better.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Well when a player is fresh out of rehab his value goes down. And some teams just won’t even look at him. Hmmm isn’t that what happened ?
I highly doubt Larsson was ever in rehab.... but if he was, this makes that trade look even more lopsided.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
can see him securing a Draisaitl-type contract. 8.5 per for 6 years of somethin'

Predicting he'll sign with one of three teams in 2020: Colorado, Vegas, or Boston.
If he's thinking about winning it all, with Nathan and Rantanen in their prime, adding Taylor Hall could be the catalyst they need to go all the way.
If he's thinking about lifestyle (he was well known in Edmonton for being a bar-star, enjoying the night life), then Las Vegas is the place he'll want to go.
If he's thinking about his favourite team, the team that he wanted to be drafted to in 2010, then Boston is the city.

All 3 would have the cap space to do it
Recent MVP of the league isn't going to get 8.5. Think 10.5M+, considering JT got 11M without winning any individual awards, it's pretty safe to assume Hall will use that as leverage and someone is going to pay it.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Hall just won the MVP. He is the definition of a superstar.

From San Jose, I would be willing to offer a package even more attractive than the one that we paid for Erik Karlsson, but I suspect New Jersey would ask for Timo Meier in exchange and I’m not sure that I could stomach that.

My offer would be something like:

Ivan Chekhovich or Sasha Chmelevski
Ryan Merkley
Antti Suomela
Justin Braun or Tim Heed
1st round pick

I actually think that’s a superior package to the one that we paid for Erik Karlsson.
That's not hard considering you got Karlsson for dog shit. Any offer is going to top the one given to the Sens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad