Proposal: Sign Jonathan Toews for 4th line (1-year)

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
Which prospect gets forced down to Bellville, with Toews on the roster?
This is funny. No way do I want Toews, but Ottawa played Gambrell and Kelly for a combined 110 useless games this year. Then add in all of the useless callups that provide nothing.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Can you explain this to me? I don't pay close attention to hockey politics.

Some people, who really think ther are "holier than thou", like to blame Jonathan Toews for the Kyle Beech sexual assault scandal because he was the Captain.

They seem to forget, HE WAS 22 YEARS OLD & Stan Bowman and Joel Quennvile own this one from an organisational perspective.

They also give the following veteran player, most of whom were in their thirties, a pass for...reasons?

Marion Hossa
Patrick Sharpe
Christobal Huet
Brian Campbell
Brent Seabrooke
Duncan Keith
Dustin Byfuglien
Dave Bolland
Andrew Ladd
John Madden

Yeah, but clearly it's the 22 year old kids fault.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Jonathan Toews: "Nah."
I bet he just can't wait to extend his career by playing for a non playoff teams 4th line. Lol

Sign Monahan instead
God no. 0 motor on that guys. Toews is a HOF. Would he a great fit but i doubt anyone around here is willing to pay what it's gonna take. Sens need a natural shut down C tbh. Doubt he wants to come here and play that role.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Nah, he's a scumbag
Yawn.

3 years / 12M. A GM should be fired for taking that to his ownership
If this were the case Dorion would be fired long ago. That's a way better contract than some of the ones he's handed out.

I don't even think it's unreasonable if he can still be a top 9 player given the leadership and experience he has. He's an amazing player. Has won so much would be great to add him to this young group. It's quite clear watching these playoffs the sens need more veterans and leadership. Leafs are down big if they didn't add Orielly.

Reactions: Stylizer1

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Some people, who really think ther are "holier than thou", like to blame Jonathan Toews for the Kyle Beech sexual assault scandal because he was the Captain.

They seem to forget, HE WAS 22 YEARS OLD & Stan Bowman and Joel Quennvile own this one from an organisational perspective.

They also give the following veteran player, most of whom were in their thirties, a pass for...reasons?

Marion Hossa
Patrick Sharpe
Christobal Huet
Brian Campbell
Brent Seabrooke
Duncan Keith
Dustin Byfuglien
Dave Bolland
Andrew Ladd
John Madden

Yeah, but clearly it's the 22 year old kids fault.
People don't like him because he went out of his way to say he respected two people who were involved in the cover up of the sexual assault. He definitely deserves criticism for that.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yawn.

If this were the case Dorion would be fired long ago. That's a way better contract than some of the ones he's handed out.

I don't even think it's unreasonable if he can still be a top 9 player given the leadership and experience he has. He's an amazing player. Has won so much would be great to add him to this young group. It's quite clear watching these playoffs the sens need more veterans and leadership. Leafs are down big if they didn't add Orielly.
This is where your own bias comes in. Try to separate Dorion from this equation

Chicago is moving on from him. Their captain. They won't sign him to a 3/12 contract.

He was all of the things you mentioned. That's not debatable. But that's not the question. The question is what could he be for the next 3 years. It's definitely out there that he has some long covid symptoms. It's out there that he's considering retirement. There's a likelihood that Toews cannot continue to be an NHLer for 3 more years.

On the other hand, I would sign Ryan O'Reilly to that deal

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
People don't like him because he went out of his way to say he respected two people who were involved in the cover up of the sexual assault. He definitely deserves criticism for that.

I respect Barack Obama but he has ordered the death of people knowing there would be innocent civilians murdered in the process....

but seriously, below are his quotes.

“Make any argument you want, they’re not directly complicit in the activities that happened,” Toews said. “It’s not up to me to comment on whether they would like to deal with it differently or not. I just know them as people and I’ve had a relationship and friendship with them for a long time as being part of the Blackhawks family."

“How this situation went down, what the timeline was, what they knew, I can’t really comment on that. It’s obviously a tough day. Regardless of the mistakes that may have been made, for someone like Stan who has done so much for the Blackhawks, and Al as well, to lose everything they care about and their livelihoods as well, I don’t understand how that makes it go away – just delete them from existence and that’s it, we’ll never hear from them. So I have a lot of respect for them as people. They’re good people.”

They read to me like a young man who, at the time, feels shitty that his friends and mentors are going down. He likely believed their side of the story where they downplayed what/when they knew - because he has a personal relationship with them and he stands by people he cares about. Misguided?...likely. But standing by your friends and giving them the benefit of the doubt used to be a sign of character.

Is he biased? Hell yeah. Since when did we expect objectivity from the friends and family of people involved in these situations?

f*** we live in a shitty judgy society where no one ever takes a charitable view of peoples feelings & intensions. After some time to process and further information, he gave the below quote.

"Had I been connected to the situation and known some of the more gory details of it, I’d like to say yeah," he said, "I would have acted differently in my role as captain, yeah.""

“It puts things in perspective. When you’re chasing your dream of a Stanley Cup it becomes the only thing. They say winning is everything. It just consumes your whole world. It’s a special memory in a lot of ways, but when something like this tarnishes it, it definitely makes you realize that there’s more to life than hockey. In so many ways it’s an unfortunate situation. Winning the Stanley Cup that year is beside the point."

Scumbag? Good grief.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is where your own bias comes in. Try to separate Dorion from this equation

Chicago is moving on from him. Their captain. They won't sign him to a 3/12 contract.

He was all of the things you mentioned. That's not debatable. But that's not the question. The question is what could he be for the next 3 years. It's definitely out there that he has some long covid symptoms. It's out there that he's considering retirement. There's a likelihood that Toews cannot continue to be an NHLer for 3 more years.

On the other hand, I would sign Ryan O'Reilly to that deal
Chicago is moving on from him because they are in a rebuild.

The irony of suggesting someone has a 'bias' when it comes to dorion for critiquing him is too rich for me. Just gonna walk away at this point.

Unfortunately Orielly is going to get more than that but i would too. He's probably going to be in the 5 million dollar range on a 4 year deal.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Absolutely not, he has no backbone and is a shit leader. Its one thing to expect a 22 year old to speak out against authority, its another to see a seasoned vet still not call out that same authority a decade later. He's the last thing we need in this locker room.

Plenty of vets that can play a better role that have a spine.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
I respect Barack Obama but he has ordered the death of people knowing there would be innocent civilians murdered in the process....

“Make any argument you want, they’re not directly complicit in the activities that happened,” Toews said. “It’s not up to me to comment on whether they would like to deal with it differently or not. I just know them as people and I’ve had a relationship and friendship with them for a long time as being part of the Blackhawks family."

“How this situation went down, what the timeline was, what they knew, I can’t really comment on that. It’s obviously a tough day. Regardless of the mistakes that may have been made, for someone like Stan who has done so much for the Blackhawks, and Al as well, to lose everything they care about and their livelihoods as well, I don’t understand how that makes it go away – just delete them from existence and that’s it, we’ll never hear from them. So I have a lot of respect for them as people. They’re good people.”

They read to me like a young man who, at the time, feels shitty that his friends and mentors are going down. He likely believed their side of the story where they downplayed what/when they knew - because he has a personal relationship with them and he stands by people he cares about. Misguided?...likely. But standing by your friends and giving them the benefit of the doubt used to be a sign of character.

Is he biased? Hell yeah. Since when did we expect objectivity from the friends and family of people involved in these situations?

f*** we live in a shitty judgy society where no one ever takes a charitable view of peoples feelings & intensions. After some time to process and further information, he gave the below quote.

"Had I been connected to the situation and known some of the more gory details of it, I’d like to say yeah," he said, "I would have acted differently in my role as captain, yeah.""

“It puts things in perspective. When you’re chasing your dream of a Stanley Cup it becomes the only thing. They say winning is everything. It just consumes your whole world. It’s a special memory in a lot of ways, but when something like this tarnishes it, it definitely makes you realize that there’s more to life than hockey. In so many ways it’s an unfortunate situation. Winning the Stanley Cup that year is beside the point."

Scumbag? Good grief.
It really shows no empathy or respect for the victims or their families, so yes I would say it's a scumbag move.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It really shows no empathy or respect for the victims or their families, so yes I would say it's a scumbag move.
Glad I'm not your friend as I would hope to get the benefit of the doubt, at least initially.

Given time he changed his mind, which is reasonable and rational.

Toews, like most of us, is not perfect like you presumably are. His instinct was to believe people he knew and cared about...

Situation like this in real life are very difficult, complicated and nuanced. Sitting in the peanut gallery passing judgement looks a lot more like virtue signaling rather than any actual human compassion.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Glad I'm not your friend as I would hope to get the benefit of the doubt, at least initially.

Toews, like most of us, is not perfect like you presumably are. His instinct was to believe people he knew and cared about...

Situation like this in real life are very difficult, complicated and nuanced. Sitting in the peanut gallery passing judgement looks a lot more like virtue signaling rather than any actual human compassion.
The person who deserves the most compassion at this point is Beach. Any part of the organization that did that disgusting shit to him needs to be held accountable. Either you grow up and make the difficult adult situation of say "we failed Kyle, all of us, including people I'm friends with are responsible for not speaking out", or you have no spine in this situation. The last thing this team needs is someone who is so chummy with people that were complicit in messed things. Doing the right thing sometimes means calling out people you're close with, doing the right thing isn't always easy.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On Toews, it so difficult to evaluate how much he might have left in the tank because he played so little recently. Also, to say that his health is a wild card would be an understatement. Any team signing him would want their own doctors to look at his medical history and give their evaluation. I think he's 50/50 to retire, frankly...

Reactions: bert and MarkStone

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley

Yes I care about SA victims, and I dislike any behavior that adds to the trauma that victims and their families go through. Essentially saying "well they were nice to me" in the media will make those people feel more alienated than they already are.

And we could be friends, you never know.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
The person who deserves the most compassion at this point is Beach. Any part of the organization that did that disgusting shit to him needs to be held accountable. Either you grow up and make the difficult adult situation of say "we failed Kyle, all of us, including people I'm friends with are responsible for not speaking out", or you have no spine in this situation. The last thing this team needs is someone who is so chummy with people that were complicit in messed things. Doing the right thing sometimes means calling out people you're close with, doing the right thing isn't always easy.
Compassion is not a zero sum game. I'd go as far as saying its preferable to have compassion for as many people as possible, even within the situation.

Doing the right thing is very hard sometimes. Knowing what the right things is can be harder. People, particularly young people, fail at that sometimes. It doesn't make them "scumbags" by default.

Keyboard warriors who shit talk people without even trying to see things as nuanced and difficult aren't helping anyone, not Kyle Beach. They are just making themselves feel morally superior on the interweb.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Yes I care about SA victims, and I dislike any behavior that adds to the trauma that victims and their families go through. Essentially saying "well they were nice to me" in the media will make those people feel more alienated than they already are.

And we could be friends, you never know.

I didn't say we could be friends, just that we weren't.

That being said, I prefer my friends to be loyal enough to be at least conflicted in a situation like that.

Do you actually think that Toews wanted to disrespect Beach? That he didn't care or had ill intent.

Or maybe, he was conflicted because he didn't want to believe, right away, people who had done right by him and that he was close too had done something very bad.

Misplaced loyalty in that situation makes him human not a "scumbag".

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
On Toews, it so difficult to evaluate how much he might have left in the tank because he played so little recently. Also, to say that his health is a wild card would be an understatement. Any team signing him would want their own doctors to look at his medical history and give their evaluation. I think he's 50/50 to retire, frankly...
I think he ends up back in Winnipeg and I hope he goes there. Would be a great fit especially now that we know that Dubois wants to move on. What a shit hand Winnipeg has been dealt this year in the playoffs. So many terrible injuries, no bounces. The hockey gods are cruel, no idea why vegas gets all the luck.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
1. Toews will not, in any circumstance, agree to come play for the Sens 4th line

2. Sens would not agree to have Toews come and play for the Sens for what it would cost to get Toews

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
Nah. Thing is if Norris is healthy 3rd line will be better with Pinto. Then I would like to see 2 of Formenton/Greig/Sokolov with Pinto and we should have a decent 3rd line. Kasty with two of the 4-5 guys we have to choose at the moment should be a fine 4th line. I think as long as Norris is back at full health the 3rd/4th lines are not a big problem it is the goalie situation that is the big problem here..

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK

Scumbag? Good grief.

Lol. He was in his 30's. I don't care to rehash the rest of the Towes argument but this part made me laugh because of how often I see it.

Here's a classic bit from Chappelle on this "Young man" phenomenon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad