Proposal: Sign Jagr

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Have any of you ever seen Jagr back check? Or otherwise done battle for team mates?

He was an absolute star in his own right 10-20-hell almost 30 years ago by just being magnificent with the puck, but he can't do those things anymore and his negligence off the puck is catching up with him as he is no longer a major threat forward. Instead it becomes like playing 4-on-5 hockey defensively when he is out there for your club.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
True, Ribs also seemed to be in and out of Levy's doghouse for that kind of play even before the personal problems cropped back up. He certainly got ripped on this board for it on more than one occasion.

Well outside of passing Ribs didn't really do anything you expect a center to be able to do. I mean he was going to generate points, but he probably generated just about as many the other way as well.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Florida didn't offer him another contract because of his lack of speed. They want to play a style similar to the Preds. If he's too slow for FLA, he's too slow for the Preds. This is even more of an issue with Hartnell likely getting top 6 minutes. That'd b 2 aging guys in important roles that can't skate the way Lavy wants.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Florida didn't offer him another contract because of his lack of speed. They want to play a style similar to the Preds. If he's too slow for FLA, he's too slow for the Preds. This is even more of an issue with Hartnell likely getting top 6 minutes. That'd b 2 aging guys in important roles that can't skate the way Lavy wants.
Hartnell will not be a top 2 left winger, Forsberg and Fiala are 1 and 2.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009

So that means Hartsy will primarily play on the 3rd line, barring injuries, and PP?? Even so, I'd rather have a faster, younger, less experienced winger over Jagr. Especially in light of all the comments about his ineffectiveness during playoffs.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

You don't know that. Everyone hopes that Fiala takes a big step next year, but he wasn't very impressive at all last year, while Hartnell was excellent at even strength and always has been. And who knows if they'll even have any differentiation between the two middle 6 lines? Especially if Fisher returns.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

Jagr is way more talented than hartnell and could easily play on a line with bonino at centre who is also not very fast. And unfortunately people are saying bonino is second line centre so this would make Jagr second line winger

Top two lines:
Jofa
Fiala bonino Jagr

Then third line is strong too with aberg jarnkrok harts

Sign Jagr!

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
No thanks. We already got slower this offseason, we don't need to slow down even more.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
No for Jagr, IMO. I think Fisher is coming back and then we'd get too old in offense with 3 players over 35. Also, I don't think Jagr is that good anymore and moreover he's slow as hell.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Practically speaking, Jagr playing a #3 RW means we have a middle 6 F pushed down to playing with Watson and Hook/Sissons and Salti gone or permanently our 14F. the net of all that - Jagr isn't gonna' outscore by more than a goal or 2 whoever he pushes down (aberg, likely), so whatever Aberg gets on the 4th (under 10 playing with those guys and sitting against big teams) over what Salti scores. So, maybe we get 6 more goals and whatever intangibles Jagr brings?

That is really easy pass.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Jagr is way more talented than hartnell

You have to face the fact that talent isn't all. If you want talent alone, go ahead, but you won't get to see a GM with that opinion.

GM's need to face a reality where the work ethics and abilities off the puck also matters.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No for Jagr, IMO. I think Fisher is coming back and then we'd get too old in offense with 3 players over 35. Also, I don't think Jagr is that good anymore and moreover he's slow as hell.

I just don't think he fits the teams style of play nor do I think he would have much left in the tank if we hit the playoffs anyways.

Easy Pass.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
The amount of people underselling what Jagr brings to the table here is disturbing. Five seconds of research would confirm he is more like Arvidsson on the ice in terms of effectiveness if you believe in advance stats.

I'd also point to the emergence of Florida's young core as a reason to being Jagr in. He can help teach guys like Forsberg and Aberg.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
You have to face the fact that talent isn't all. If you want talent alone, go ahead, but you won't get to see a GM with that opinion.

GM's need to face a reality where the work ethics and abilities off the puck also matters.

Jagr is always working out he's going hard right now in kladno and doesn't even have a contract and he would be a great mentor for our youth. It's a can't lose by signing him.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Now that we know Fish isn't coming back I'd be glad to take Jagr but only if he'd sign for one year at 2.5 or less. You'd think unless he was one of these guys who got screwed out of his money along the way that at this point he'd be more interested in a good situation than money, but maybe I'm wrong

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The amount of people underselling what Jagr brings to the table here is disturbing. Five seconds of research would confirm he is more like Arvidsson on the ice in terms of effectiveness if you believe in advance stats.

I'd also point to the emergence of Florida's young core as a reason to being Jagr in. He can help teach guys like Forsberg and Aberg.
While that's great and all that same Florida team said cya.

Not to mention it basically means pushing Aberg out of the line up, and I'm not sure the bench or another season in the AHL does him much good.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
While that's great and all that same Florida team said cya.

Not to mention it basically means pushing Aberg out of the line up, and I'm not sure the bench or another season in the AHL does him much good.
Well, at this point it means pushing Gaudreau to the minors, and Aberg maybe down in the lineup but not out. Aberg isn't exempt from waivers anymore, so he's not going down to the minors. He could spend more time on the bench or in the pressbox perhaps.

I wouldn't think Poile had completely lost it and wouldn't spend too much time complaining if they did sign Jagr. Just it wouldn't be something I'd chase after myself. There probably isn't a big downside at least, Jagr seems like an easygoing guy who would fit in whether he is playing well or whether he had trouble contributing anymore. He'd be fine on the PP whether he could keep up the rest of the time or not.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well, at this point it means pushing Gaudreau to the minors, and Aberg maybe down in the lineup but not out. Aberg isn't exempt from waivers anymore, so he's not going down to the minors. He could spend more time on the bench or in the pressbox perhaps.

I wouldn't think Poile had completely lost it and wouldn't spend too much time complaining if they did sign Jagr. Just it wouldn't be something I'd chase after myself. There probably isn't a big downside at least, Jagr seems like an easygoing guy who would fit in whether he is playing well or whether he had trouble contributing anymore. He'd be fine on the PP whether he could keep up the rest of the time or not.

Pretty much would leave Aberg or Smith on the 4th, which isn't really where their skill set lies.

Just don't think it's worth it imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad