Proposal: Sign Jagr

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I'd love to have him for regular season but pass on post season. His wheels aren't going to do us any good there.

How much good did Aberg's "wheels" do the Preds? 5 points in 16 games while stapled to Forsberg. How much good did Smith's wheels do the Preds? Three points in 10 games. I think Jagr's wheels could do better than that in the postseason at the RW.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
About the only unrestricted free agent I would be happy about getting would have been Patrick Marleau (too late now that he was picked up by Toronto) and Justin Williams (picked up by Carolina). Jagr would be okay though. I would also be okay w/ Brian Gionta, Jiri Hudler, and Thomas Vanek but only if we can't get Duchene.

Last edited:

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Hartnell will give us the veteran scoring and locker room oomph and he is much less old

It's not about that. Even in his mid 40s, he's still a better option than every RW the Preds have except Arvidsson (if he continues his play from last year). It's about making the roster better for next year, period.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I love Jagr and he puts up points still but it makes me wary he's played in two post-seasons in the last 6 seasons (the 1st of those as a deadline acquisition), which may speak to the quality of team that is (or rather isn't) willing to offer him contracts at this point. It may just be a coincidence, but GMs may seem his as a "he puts up numbers but doesn't do much for the team when it really counts" type of player.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
I love Jagr and he puts up points still but it makes me wary he's played in two post-seasons in the last 6 seasons (the 1st of those as a deadline acquisition), which may speak to the quality of team that is (or rather isn't) willing to offer him contracts at this point. It may just be a coincidence, but GMs may seem his as a "he puts up numbers but doesn't do much for the team when it really counts" type of player.

Yep that would be my only concern too is his post season play and why I rather go for Brian Gionta, Thomas Vanek, or may even Jiri Hudler instead if getting Duchene doesn't work out. For the regular season though I would pick Jagr hands down over those other guys.

Last edited:

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

The only thing it speaks to is Jagr's desires in his old age. He pretty much goes to the place that offers the most money. After going deep in the postseason with the Bruins, he turned down re-signing with them to make more money with the awful Devils the next year.

Yep that would be my only concern too is his post season play and why I rather go for Brian Gionta, Thomas Vanek, or may even Jiri Hudler instead if getting Duchene doesn't work out. For the regular season though I would pick Jagr hands down over those other guys.

Gionta looked pretty much completely done at the end of last year, not sure I'd take him for free. Vanek would be fine, but he plays LW and he's not a good playoff performer himself.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
The only thing it speaks to is Jagr's desires in his old age. He pretty much goes to the place that offers the most money. After going deep in the postseason with the Bruins, he turned down re-signing with them to make more money with the awful Devils the next year.

Probably smart too. Why get yourself injured especially at his age from going hard in the playoffs when you can just rack up goals and assists in the regular season without getting beaten up or too beaten up and get the most money when you go to another team. He has won two Stanley cups already so he probably doesn't have too much to prove in that area and just wants to play as long as he can and make as much money as he can.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011

Gionta looked pretty much completely done last year, I wouldn't take him for free. Vanek would be fine, but he plays LW and he's not a good playoff performer himself.

Maybe so but I just see those guys working harder in the playoffs to try to win since two of them hadn't even won a Stanley cup before I believe and they have scored some goals in the post season in the past. Maybe with a better team they would get further in the playoffs.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I don't think it will take 5 million to get Jagr. I suspect he's waiting for the right situation not the most money.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I don't think it will take 5 million to get Jagr. I suspect he's waiting for the right situation not the most money.

I don't think so, he's shown a propensity to take the most money with a guaranteed top 6 role. I think he probably wants 5 million or so. Last year he took 5.5 million and he loved playing for the Panthers and of course the cap went up this year.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
While I wouldn't hate the idea it isn't going to happen. Who would he replace in the line-up? I guess if fisher doesn't resign it could work instead of Aberg getting to play.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
By looking at the depth chart via HERO charts, the Preds are screaming for a C/RW. if Smith moves down to the 3rd line I can see it.
Fiala-Bonino-Jagr/Smith.
Hartnell-Jarnkrok/Fisher-Jarnkrok/Fisher/Jagr/Smith.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
How much good did Aberg's "wheels" do the Preds? 5 points in 16 games while stapled to Forsberg. How much good did Smith's wheels do the Preds? Three points in 10 games. I think Jagr's wheels could do better than that in the postseason at the RW.

What would you predict Jagr's stats to be, as well as those around him, if he replaced either Smith or Aberg? I'm sure you've looked this up but it's not as if Jagr lit up the playoffs last time he was there (2 assists in 6 games).

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I don't think so, he's shown a propensity to take the most money with a guaranteed top 6 role. I think he probably wants 5 million or so. Last year he took 5.5 million and he loved playing for the Panthers and of course the cap went up this year.

I would think if anyone was offering that kind of money he'd already be signed by now.

My guess is he's either not getting any offers at all(if his agent has indicated that he's looking for 5 million or more) or else he's getting lower offers from places he doesn't want to go.

The more time that passes, team have less and less cap room. I just don't see a 5 million dollar offer coming in August or September

Last edited:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I think we're waiting to get all of our rfa signed before we do anything else. just to see how much money we have after. I still think we need to be shopping smith to get rid of that 4.5 cap hit. 8×8 contract for Joey, arvi should get 2×4 to prove that this year wasn't a fluke and he'll still be a rfa after. Watson should get 4×1.5 aberg 5×2. that will leave us at around over 5 mil under the cap. if you trade smith you're sitting at almost 10 mil under the cap. a lot you can do with 10 mil

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I'm high on Aberg but no way is he about to sign a 5 year contract for $2M. I'm guessing 2 years, and +/- $1.75M

it would be nice though lol. give him that big raise from what he was getting for long term. i would use his youth and inexperience as a way to way to some how get him long term. then in 2 years when he's a top 6 forward we have a steal for 3 more years. kind like poile did with josi Ellis and eks. those 3 should be getting way more than they are getting but poile gave them a long term contract when the was coming into their own. now we have a great d Corp and were not paying them what they could get

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
There is no way in hell Aberg gets a 5 year deal now. I think he has earned a one way deal but he hasn't proven anything.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I doubt this will happen. Lavi didn't want Jagr resigning in Philly years ago.
Have to see what happens with Fisher first, at least.

1 - Johansen
2 - Forsberg
3 - Arvidsson
4 - Bonino
5 - Jarnkrok
6 - Smith
7 - Fiala
8 - Hartnell
9 - Aberg
10 - Sissons
11 - Watson
12 - Salomaki
13 - McLeod
14 - Gaudreau

There is basically one spot available if you sent Gaudreau down. I'd keep that for Fisher for now. If Fisher retires, it could be an option to look at one of the leftover UFAs, but I think a lot of them are players who don't have much speed left, Jagr especially, and I'd probably rather continue to promote a speed game than take on slower veterans.

That said, when you have the cap space and at least a potential roster spot, it's basically a free asset, which could provide flexibility in some capacity down the road. *IF* Fisher isn't coming back.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016

Didn't stop us from signing Arvidson to 7 years. 3 goals in 22 games. I think he was a minus in the +/- category against Pens. I love Arvy but he got swallowed up against the Pens and at times against the Ducks, too.

If Fisher retires I think it would be fun to have Jagr's mullet in town.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008

This ^^

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad