Proposal: Sign Jagr

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Over the past two seasons Jagr has 112 points
Over the past two seasons Neal has 99 points

Last season Neal only had 6 more goals than jagr.

I bet we could get jagr a lot cheaper than the contract Neal had.

First two lines:
Jofa
Jagr jarnkrok fiala

Plus Jagr would be amazing for the young guys on our team as far as leadership especially with fish probably gone.

Jagr would love Tennessee as well and possibly a chance at another cup.

Just some good for thought, but I think Jagr would look good in gold.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I'm 100% behind signing Jagr. People will complain that he's too slow or too old, but the guy gets it done. He's averaged over 40 points at 5-on-5 the past 2 seasons, so he's figured out how to excel despite his lack of speed. He's definitely better than at least one of Aberg or Smith for next year, I feel completely confident saying that.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Give him what he wants for a year (given it's reasonable) and plug him on the second line with Bonino and Fiala. The #2 all-time leading scorer to mentor guys like Fiala and Aberg? Yes, please. Big veteran presence, consistent producer.
Sign me up.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm mixed on this.

I'd love to have a vet like Jagr on the Preds but his speed is slow.

He can score and is surprisingly good at shot suppression but I wonder about the contract and who the Preds could trade for at half price at the deadline.

If he plays 57 games this season he would BREAK GORDIE ****ING HOWE'S most games played in the NHL record. But do you want that for the sake of the team?

A line of Hartnell-Hook-Jagr would be slow but exciting, can Hook provide enough speed to make it work?

Jagr is a RW. Preds need a RW on the 3rd wing. But it would keep Aberg or Salomaki or Gaudeau from being a opening night player.

I'm mixed.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
One year deal is a cheap contract lol

No it isn't, it's a short contract. Joe Thorton's deal sure as hell ain't cheap. And Jagr has been signing 1 year deals every season since he came back, so it's a given that it's going to be 1 year.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I'm not worried about his age as much as the speed at this point. Have we lost too much speed already? If this is the roster we are going with +/- Fishwr, I would be in support of signing him.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I would sign him just to see the Traveling Jagrs!

I don't know if they've ever come here, but I'm sure they would if we signed him.

Aside from that, heck yes, I'm in favor of signing him!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No it isn't, it's a short contract. Joe Thorton's deal sure as hell ain't cheap. And Jagr has been signing 1 year deals every season since he came back, so it's a given that it's going to be 1 year.

Jagr can't pull that kind of money. Frankly I'm not sure how the heck Joe got them to pay him that.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Dollars don't matter if we don't need the cap space. Not that he would get it, but even a $6M Jagr on a one year contract doesn't harm the franchise. A three. Contract with $3M AAV is actually worse. But as long as he's signing one year deals, and there's cap space for flexibility, there's basically no overpayment.

I don't care about dollars with Jagr, he'd certainly sell jerseys too. I'm only worries about his speed and stamina. He needs to be limited, and he needs nights off. He's looked okay in Florida, but when he's been a deadline rental recently he's been totally gassed in the playoffs.

Still, as a third liner, I'd love him just for the press and the experience. Of course there are 20+ other teams saying the same thing.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
As we missed out on Jokinen, here's a 2nd _still legit despite had a disapponting year_ guy who really could help us if on a 1 year deal under or at 3 mill-ish

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I don't understand why this hasn't been done already. He is perfect on that second line spot and would be a great mentor for guys like Smith and Forsberg.

I'd easily give him 5-6M for a year.

Imagine the pop in this city signing a legend like that.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Brain says no, heart says yes

Everything should say yes. Even strength is where speed is most important outside of the gimmicky overtime and he excels at even strength. He's maybe the best in the NHL at protecting the puck down low and cycling.

He needs to be limited, and he needs nights off. He's looked okay in Florida, but when he's been a deadline rental recently he's been totally gassed in the playoffs.

I'm sure lots of people think this just based on his age, but it's wrong. He's played over 1100 minutes just at 5-on-5 each of the past two years. Played his best stretch of hockey after the All-Star break last season. He'd probably benefit from dropping those numbers a bit, but he's an absolute freak, 1100 minutes is insane. Would be 2nd on the Preds slightly behind Johansen.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
That's essentially what I said, "looked okay in Florida"... But if you get into the playoffs, he's scored one goal in 39 playoff games since returning from the KHL. He hasn't been able to keep up when everyone else has their foot on the gas.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
That's essentially what I said, "looked okay in Florida"... But if you get into the playoffs, he's scored one goal in 39 playoff games since returning from the KHL. He hasn't been able to keep up when everyone else has their foot on the gas.

I don't remember the Florida series where he played 6 games, maybe he was gassed there, dunno, didn't watch. But when he was with Philly and Boston, he didn't look gassed to me. He didn't put up big numbers for Boston, but he played a very effective possession game. Of course that was a while ago, he's only played 6 postseason games since 2013, I don't think you draw too many conclusions about his postseason play given that he's barely been there. The fact that he was actually better after the All-Star break last year, despite playing tons of minutes, is a pretty good sign though.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't know if the posts are still on HF or not, but go read the stuff from his run in Boston, he was not good in those playoffs. You can say possession, but Jagr's possession game has never relied on speed, he could probably be 60 years old and still be decent at protecting the puck and dishing it off along the boards. But if he has zero goals, that's a strong indication that hes off his game because he's unable to get into open shooting lanes.

Like I said, I still want him. Just that he needs to save a bit for the postseason.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'd love to have him for regular season but pass on post season. His wheels aren't going to do us any good there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad