Sign Hemmer

Oct 10, 2010
I think if we resign him it'll be between 4.5 and 5.

Lets just hope Melnyk can pony up the cash to keep him.

Agreed.

And depending on Melnyks budget, i am not sure i would pay him that.

May be better to use (the more than likely) limited funds on something else like a good solid defensemen.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Agreed.

And depending on Melnyks budget, i am not sure i would pay him that.

May be better to use (the more than likely) limited funds on something else like a good solid defensemen.

If the choice is between Erhoff and Hemsky, for example, I think I'd agree. I just hope that Melnyk realizes that, for the first time since probably 2006, Spezza doesn't have to do EVERYTHING. Notice how in the last 3 games he hasn't had one ****** turn over? Noticed how he can cover a man defensively? Notice how he can crash the net without the puck? This is all because he has someone else on his line who can pass and carry the puck.

When Spezza doesn't HAVE to do everything, he keeps his mind calm and simple... and ironically actually does everything. Hemsky is the best thing for this team going forward... but we SERIOUSLY need a legit top-4 D, at least until guys like Ceci, Cowen, and Claesson settle in and can handle real, top competition consistently.

Please Melnyk, invest another $10 million. Having All three of Hemsky, Ehrhoff and Michalek would make this team pretty legit. Our Top-6 would have great talent, our bottom 6 would be pretty decent too (9MM, Zibi, Lazar, Smith, Hoffman, Stone... :D )... and our top-4 D would be Karlsson, Methot, Ehrhoff, Ceci/Cowen... already much stronger!

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
With Melnyk not being a big spender, Murray has to decide between Hemmer and Michalek as both will want similar money. Easy choice of Hemmer to me without a doubt.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
What a great goal tonight.

My big question is whether we can convince him that we will compete next season. He made it pretty clear leading up to the trade deadline that he wants to experience the playoffs again, and be a part of the chase for the cup. Hard to blame him if he decides that we are not going to get a whole lot better any time soon.

rickyrunfar

Mar 1, 2014
As an Oiler fan and having followed Hemmer his whole career I believe all Hemmer really needs to have success is to play on a line with a good center and play with D who can make an outlet pass to utilize his speed. Hemmer also seems to think the game better when he's moving. Edmontom has crap D and Hemmer has played with **** centers for years and Hemsky has suffered for it. He's got heart and skill to burn.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
we will sign hemsky and trade for stewart in the summer

book it

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hemsky's probably going to get plenty of attention now that he's out of Edmonton

We're not going to be able to keep him since our team ****ing sucks major ****

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
For the first time in a LOOOONG time I am confident in our top 2 lines to score. Now if only we could keep the puck out.

Hemsky has to be resigned. I think this year shows us the dangers of a young D, and I think they will be much better next year. We need to have a legit top 6, and Hemsky has single handedly provided that.

Hoffman - Spezza - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan

That looks like a good top 6 to me. Give Michaleks money to Hemsky, try to get a decent 2nd pairing D man, and I like our chances next year.

Hoffman - Spezza - Hemsky
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Prospect - Zibanejad - Prospect
Condra/Greening - Smith - Neil

Karlsson - Methot
Cowen - Ceci
UFA/Trade - Wier/Phillips/Gryba/Boro/Claesson

I honestly think that line up can win. Its time for Michalek to go. Spezza looks great with Hemsky. MTR is proven. Zibby and a mix of our prospects can be a serviceable third line, and the 4th line needs to be sat down and told that their job is not to take penalties.

Karlsson and Methot should be fine. If anything I expect Karlsson to be better. Ceci has made what...1 mistake so far? Could have growing pains next year, but as long as we grow balls and sit him for one of our many guys knocking on the door, we will be fine. We didn't do this with Cowen this year. Cowen will bounce back IMO. Just a hunch. He has shown so much in the past. If he doesn't, our UFA/trade acquisition can step up and fill that role hopefully.

Just my thoughts. This season has sucked, but I see us improving next year...if we can keep Hemsky. Time to put up or shut up for Melnyk.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Oiler fan. Nice to see Hemmer having some fun, again. he was stuck in the Oilers' losing vortex and had to get out. And what a goal. he's been doing that for 10 years, but the rest of league either didn't know or forgot.

cheers to the Hemmer

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
What annoys me is that Phillips money should be put on Hemsky. If we can't re-sign him because we can't afford it I wont forgive Murray for re-signing Phillips.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
What annoys me is that Phillips money should be put on Hemsky. If we can't re-sign him because we can't afford it I wont forgive Murray for re-signing Phillips.

This...there's no reason Phillips and michaleks money can't bring hemsky in.

There's also no reason to sign Phillips and michalek...but we signed Phillips so who knows.

But I will be sooooooooooo mad if we miss out on any good signing by 2.5 million or less. ****ing ****** Phillips! ****ing blind Murray!

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This...there's no reason Phillips and michaleks money can't bring hemsky in.

There's also no reason to sign Phillips and michalek...but we signed Phillips so who knows.

But I will be sooooooooooo mad if we miss out on any good signing by 2.5 million or less. ****ing ****** Phillips! ****ing blind Murray!

I agree with this. I have a huge amount of hatred for this shoestring budget bs, but we might as well accept it for now. Therefore, if we are wasting valuable money on guys like Phillips and are unable to just toss Hemsky 5 million, Ima be one PO'ed human.

On a cap team, the new Greening and Phillips contracts wouldn't be so bad. Every team has a few bad contracts. But it matters so much more on a tight budget.

The worst part of this whole thing is that the two "bad contracts" on the team haven't even kicked in yet!!! At least Greening's actual pay is 2 million next year. 3.2 in 2016-2017 :help:

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Here's an interesting question, would you re-sign Hemsky if if meant you had to re-sign his fellow countryman and close friend Milan Michalek?

Hemsky received 5.5M from Oilers because it was a 1 year deal. I would offer him $22M/5 years/

I think Michalek is playing careful right now, he didn't want to get injured again this year. He may not have increase his value but he didn't loose as much since he shown he could stay healthy for 1 year.

Condra and Greening got their contracts last year and they seem to be on cruise control. I would ship them out both of them. In a deal for Stewart? Sure.

We still have Stone, Puempel, Da Costa and Lazar waiting.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
I knew Hemmer would light it up with you guys. Great player, great teammate. He can play the offensive game, or the defensive game. I hope you guys sign him long term and he produces the way I know he can.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
With Melnyk not being a big spender, Murray has to decide between Hemmer and Michalek as both will want similar money. Easy choice of Hemmer to me without a doubt.

I would either sign Michalek and Hemsky or neither. I think Michalek has been revitalized as well. I would do 2 yrs-9M for Michalek and 2yrs - 12 M for Hemsky. nothing with long term and pay a little more for short term.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Of course Buffalo wants Greening.

From all the evidence I have seen, it is the assistant GM on teams (with the exception of Colorado, because that dynamic is messed up) that deals with contract negotiations with the GM getting final approval. It is likely that TM gave Greening that contract. Plus they will need guys like him to hit the floor with all the kids they will be playing next year.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I would either sign Michalek and Hemsky or neither. I think Michalek has been revitalized as well. I would do 2 yrs-9M for Michalek and 2yrs - 12 M for Hemsky. nothing with long term and pay a little more for short term.
Hemsky is not going to fetch 6 million per year , I see him taking 4.5 mill on a contender and around 5 on the Sens. He would refuse 6 million from a bottom feeder team he wants to win. I know Sens fans are down on their team right now but their forward group is fine IMO. They have had a season of bad goaltending and defence which hurts any teams. They need to make a few offseason moves to correct this and there right back up there in the east.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Hemsky received 5.5M from Oilers because it was a 1 year deal. I would offer him $22M/5 years/
I think Michalek is playing careful right now, he didn't want to get injured again this year. He may not have increase his value but he didn't loose as much since he shown he could stay healthy for 1 year.

Condra and Greening got their contracts last year and they seem to be on cruise control. I would ship them out both of them. In a deal for Stewart? Sure.

We still have Stone, Puempel, Da Costa and Lazar waiting.
His deal was 2 years 10 million 4.5 5.5

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
From all the evidence I have seen, it is the assistant GM on teams (with the exception of Colorado, because that dynamic is messed up) that deals with contract negotiations with the GM getting final approval. It is likely that TM gave Greening that contract. Plus they will need guys like him to hit the floor with all the kids they will be playing next year.

So TM gave him a contract then found it was a terrible idea (he had a great playoff and looked poised to take the next step, something at which he has massively failed) and wants to take it on when he's been given an out?

YEah that doesn't make much sense to me

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hemsky is not going to fetch 6 million per year , I see him taking 4.5 mill on a contender and around 5 on the Sens. He would refuse 6 million from a bottom feeder team he wants to win. I know Sens fans are down on their team right now but their forward group is fine IMO. They have had a season of bad goaltending and defence which hurts any teams. They need to make a few offseason moves to correct this and there right back up there in the east.

I think with how high the cap is going to be, he will get it. Look at scrubs like Clarkson what they got, and others. I hope he signs but I would not be worried if he signs for more on a short term deal because, fair or not, Hemsky has a reputation of teasing and then disappearing. I think with Spezza as his center and Karlsson feeding him, he can have a lot of fun playing here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad