Sign Hemmer

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Hemsky is a quality player but he wont play a full season, most of the time he wont even be close to a full season. He can surely be a part of a good team but never a back bone. Sens problem is far beyond signing Hemsky. I really hoped Sens would have the attitude the bring it no matter what after last season but it seams that the lack of Alfie is way more important than the quality improvment that was brought by MacArthur, Ryan and Hemsky.

Ottawa needs a quality C, who holds players accountable every shift... and at the moment that doesn't exist... Its sad to say but my hope for this team is limited as things are now, Hemsky or not. Hell, i would even say Crosby or not. The team needs to find its feet, hard work and effort.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Hemsky seems very non committal about staying. Having played so long on a team that was out of the playoffs he probably doesn't want to go to a playoff bubble/rebuilding team but to someplace where he will get a chance at playing for the Cup in the next couple of years.

No one has been very anxious to sign him up until now so he will likely play hard for a new contract and to catch the attention of the powerhouse teams for the rest of this year.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
He has been here for 3 games. How would you know if he was committal/non committal?

I think they may be referring to the story in today's paper about how he says he is staying in a hotel, etc. He definitely made it sound as though he is not putting down roots at the moment.

When I read it, I figured all of that was fair. There is no guarantee that the Sens will make an offer, and if they do it may be a lowball. Hemsky has been around the league long enough to know he may end up on the road again in a few months. It is up to management and ownership to step up if they want him to stay.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
You cannot expect a guy to find a place to live in 2 days.

I am surprised he is not staying with Michalek instead of a hotel.

Agreed. The season is almost over anyways and it would be absolutely pointless to find a place to live if you aren't even sure if you're going to get an offer for a new contract.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I think they may be referring to the story in today's paper about how he says he is staying in a hotel, etc. He definitely made it sound as though he is not putting down roots at the moment.

When I read it, I figured all of that was fair. There is no guarantee that the Sens will make an offer, and if they do it may be a lowball. Hemsky has been around the league long enough to know he may end up on the road again in a few months. It is up to management and ownership to step up if they want him to stay.

The article was written by DON BRENNAN. Any article written by Brennan is a bunch of crap. Hemsky has only been with us for a week or so and I am sure the rest of the team has told him to stay far away.

WhiteLight*

2 years, 3.5 per. He hasn't produced like a top 6 forward recently and is very injury prone. So 3.5 could even be overpayment. Look at what MacArthur got

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
2 years, 3.5 per. He hasn't produced like a top 6 forward recently and is very injury prone. So 3.5 could even be overpayment. Look at what MacArthur got

Hemsky won't be signing for $3.5. I'd be surprised if he signs for less than $4.5M avg.

His last contract was $5M avg, the cap has gone up, and his play hasn't declined since he signed his two-year extension in Edmonton. If he tests UFA, he would get $4M easily, probably closer to $5M. The fact that 6 teams were in on the Hemsky sweepstakes is enough leverage for him in contract negotiations.

MacArthur was less proven and did not sign for less here than he was making in Toronto.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

Hemsky won't be signing for $3.5. I'd be surprised if he signs for less than $4.5M avg.

His last contract was $5M avg, the cap has gone up, and his play hasn't declined since he signed his two-year extension in Edmonton. If he tests UFA, he would get $4M easily, probably closer to $5M.

I don't know what he'll get but based on his play the past few years (0.5 ppg), he's not worth 5.

Based on the MacArthur signing, it's hard to argue that he deserves more than 3.5

UFA is crazy though and there's overpayment left and right

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I think if we resign him it'll be between 4.5 and 5.

Lets just hope Melnyk can pony up the cash to keep him.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
i dont think he is interested in signing here, cap is going up and conteders will have space to offer him 4+ Mill while we will be attempting to get a discount, while being a bubble team, i just dont see it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
probably doesn't sign here unless he takes some sort of sentimental value out of the team and the city. Especially if he keeps producing like this.. GM's with deep pockets will be lining up

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We'll get our chance at retaining him since teams now have a window at signing their own UFAs prior to Free Agency starting

I'm not worried yet

If he develops good chemistry with Spezza you have to think we have a good shot at signing him: he's 31, offer him good term and he'll take it

Caje

Mar 18, 2010

I don't think it's unusual for a player to stay in a hotel when there's less than a month left in the season and there's don't have a contract in place, even if they do want to stay. I don't really think that's a bad or good sign, I think it's somewhat expected regardless of the player's intentions.

The Fuhr*

He'd cost 5.0-5.5
Team has the cap space to afford him but if the budget is 55-60 then to keep him after next season the team probably is losing one of Ryan or Spezza.

The Fuhr*

Cap is going up... GMs are dumb in July... A strong finish and some GM offers him 15-18million over three years

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Too early to confirm he is going to test UFA. A strong pitch about the direction of this club, plus chemistry with Spezza and a countryman in Michalek may be enough to convince Hemsky to stick here for approximate market value ($4.5-5M).

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
Too early to confirm he is going to test UFA. A strong pitch about the direction of this club, plus chemistry with Spezza and a countryman in Michalek may be enough to convince Hemsky to stick here for approximate market value ($4.5-5M).

Yeah - but how much term are you willing to give Michalek? Worry more about Michalek's durability (read knee) than Hemsky's.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

I agree that this is probably the price tag. Hemsky wants to win, and to play in the playoffs, so the big challenge will be convincing him that this is an off year and we are actually a playoff team that can do some damage.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think the Sens can make a strong case to convince Hemsky to play here. He's found immediate chemistry with the team's top center, and will be a lock to earn top line minutes. Something he wasn't given with the Oilers in recent years.

Will the Sens be willing to cough up the 5+ million Hemsky is going to command, and will they be willing to give him term?

If they are I can see him wanting to stay here.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i think it's very possible he'd want to know if michalek is coming back or not. I see that affecting his decision.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I love how people in every thread about Hemsky say he's producing at an unsustainable rate. I think we're all aware of that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I love how people in every thread about Hemsky say he's producing at an unsustainable rate. I think we're all aware of that.

ugh its better just to tell people you expect him to keep producing to 2ppg rate.. funnier reactions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad