Sign Hemmer

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I think with how high the cap is going to be, he will get it. Look at scrubs like Clarkson what they got, and others. I hope he signs but I would not be worried if he signs for more on a short term deal because, fair or not, Hemsky has a reputation of teasing and then disappearing. I think with Spezza as his center and Karlsson feeding him, he can have a lot of fun playing here.
If you look at last years UFA's they truculence players were cashing in on the big pay days. Clowe Clarkson Gordon so forth the one dimensional skilled players were signing for way less. I don't see this trend changing. Hemsky might get 6 million on a 1 year deal but gm's will be very hesitant to give him large money long term with his injury history and his production last few years. RIbero who came off a career year fetched 5.5 Roy 4 mil Ryder 3.5 million .

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What if Hemsky only re-signs if BM re-signs Michalek his countryman? Then what? Remember how pissed off Chara was after what happened to Hossa? Not saying it's the same but sometimes guys like to have other guys around that speak their language, that have their same culture, that like the same food. Just saying, they are the only two Czechs on the team & they are about the same age, they have a lot in common. They are both UFAs so they do have some leverage on where they sign & depending on what BM wants to do & how much he has to spend next yr with the cap going up. Should be interesting to watch.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If they both want to stay they'll likely need to both take a paycut and Michalek more so

I'm betting Michalek stays and Hemsky gets a better deal on a decent team

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
I'll admit I was wrong about hemsky, doubt he'll sign here though. And honestly that would be fine if BM let michalek walk and hemsky went to a contender. Time to use that deep prospect pool we've all be raving about for years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'll admit I was wrong about hemsky, doubt he'll sign here though. And honestly that would be fine if BM let michalek walk and hemsky went to a contender. Time to use that deep prospect pool we've all be raving about for years.

IMO nobody in Bingo is ready to play at the level of Hemsky & Michalek or they would already be here. Hoffman was there best player all yr & he is now in Ottawa. If they decide to go with youth than IMO there would be no reason to keep Spezza, Anderson, Neil or have re-signed Phillips. They are not going to compete any better next season IMO with younger guys than they have with experienced guys this yr.

The difference is that the older guys have experience, they have been there before & they have contributed before at the NHL & can again given the right circumstances, we've seen it with this team & with some of these players. The young will need a maturing period which could take a few yrs depending on the player but we don't have one outstanding player who could make a big difference at the NHL level next season IMO.

Hemsky & Michalek at the very least along with Spezza give Ottawa a top 6 NHL line & they have been playing well together. Without two of those guys Spezza goes back to sucking & PM goes back to trying to find two players who can play with him. Stone can play with Spezza but is he ready to be a top line guy at the NHL level in his first yr in the NHL? I don't think so, I would rather see him brought along slowly & play on the 3rd line with Hoffman & Zibanejad, they used to be Bingo's best line at one point.

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
I think Hemsky might want to stay. I don't think the main reason will be money, but rather the opportunity to play in the capacity of a first line winger. He was stuck on the 3rd line in Edmonton for years, but now he's getting to play alongside a legitimate No.1 center who he works well with.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
From all the evidence I have seen, it is the assistant GM on teams (with the exception of Colorado, because that dynamic is messed up) that deals with contract negotiations with the GM getting final approval. It is likely that TM gave Greening that contract. Plus they will need guys like him to hit the floor with all the kids they will be playing next year.

I'd like to think Tim Murray isn't an idiot and – even if he did give Greening that contract – realises it was a mistake.

That said, I don't know how much salary comes into for TM right now. They're a team that knows where they're at, so they won't be spending to the cap. But as money is not such an issue with Pegula, he could easily take Greening on if he wanted to.

That said, I can't see it happening.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

not necessarily deep anymore. Hoffman and zibanejad are on the team. Silfverberg and noesen are gone. Those were my 4 sure things at least. wE don't really have anyne else that can make an impact next year, except lazar maybe.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I could see Tim negotiating a cap dump. Sabres prospect or pick + a cheap roster player for Greening and one of his favourites from Bingo.

more than likely what will happen, especially if he starts shedding salary at the draft or the summer, Ehrhoff, stewart.. theyre gonna need to spend somewhere.. a hard working"two way" big winger might not be the worst place

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
IMO nobody in Bingo is ready to play at the level of Hemsky & Michalek or they would already be here. Hoffman was there best player all yr & he is now in Ottawa. If they decide to go with youth than IMO there would be no reason to keep Spezza, Anderson, Neil or have re-signed Phillips. They are not going to compete any better next season IMO with younger guys than they have with experienced guys this yr.

The difference is that the older guys have experience, they have been there before & they have contributed before at the NHL & can again given the right circumstances, we've seen it with this team & with some of these players. The young will need a maturing period which could take a few yrs depending on the player but we don't have one outstanding player who could make a big difference at the NHL level next season IMO.

Hemsky & Michalek at the very least along with Spezza give Ottawa a top 6 NHL line & they have been playing well together. Without two of those guys Spezza goes back to sucking & PM goes back to trying to find two players who can play with him. Stone can play with Spezza but is he ready to be a top line guy at the NHL level in his first yr in the NHL? I don't think so, I would rather see him brought along slowly & play on the 3rd line with Hoffman & Zibanejad, they used to be Bingo's best line at one point.

There is no reason to keep the current group of veterans besides anderson (lehner has been a real disappointment in this current stretch), methot and macarthur. But this team has a strange attraction to neil, phillips and spezza. I know some will say "well look at spezza he is doing so well now and blah blah blah". But this team won't win a cup with those guys in leadership roles and thats a cold hard fact. I wouldn't mind if our #1 line walked or were moved this summer. Instead of wasting another year "evaluating"/hoping this team somehow contends, why not rebuild?

Get back to a defensive system with turris and zibanejad as our top 6 centres. Its time to move away from forwards that cheat defensively and try to make pretty plays. Trim the other fat of floaters as well that bring nothing to the team (greening/michalek). Karlsson can be this team's game breaker, and ryan can be the offensive flair in the top 6. The rest should be defence first guys.

Its plain stupid to think this team can beat Chicago, Detroit, or Pittsburgh in skill.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
There is no reason to keep the current group of veterans besides anderson (lehner has been a real disappointment in this current stretch), methot and macarthur. But this team has a strange attraction to neil, phillips and spezza. I know some will say "well look at spezza he is doing so well now and blah blah blah". But this team won't win a cup with those guys in leadership roles and thats a cold hard fact. I wouldn't mind if our #1 line walked or were moved this summer. Instead of wasting another year "evaluating"/hoping this team somehow contends, why not rebuild?

Get back to a defensive system with turris and zibanejad as our top 6 centres. Its time to move away from forwards that cheat defensively and try to make pretty plays. Trim the other fat of floaters as well that bring nothing to the team (greening/michalek). Karlsson can be this team's game breaker, and ryan can be the offensive flair in the top 6. The rest should be defence first guys.

Its plain stupid to think this team can beat Chicago, Detroit, or Pittsburgh in skill.

You're confusing fact and opinion.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
You're confusing fact and opinion.

Not confusing anything. Look at the leadership cores from the past 3 cup winners...

Toews/Keith/Sharp, Brown/Kopitar/Greene, Chara/Bergeron/Recchi and we have Spezza/Phillips/Neil. :laugh:

Phillips is prone to mental errors, spezza has never elevated his game like a toews/crosby/malkin and neil is a good physical force but the game has passed him by. Soft inconsistent play, and its plagued this team for years. Literally the only constants are those 3 guys who are now the official leaders of the team. When will people open their eyes?

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
spezza has never elevated his game like a toews/crosby/malkin

Nonsense. Go and look at vids from the playoff run. Granted it was a while ago, but you did hyperbole it with 'never'. People have such short memories - he was 4th in scoring 2 years ago.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Nonsense. Go and look at vids from the playoff run. Granted it was a while ago, but you did hyperbole it with 'never'. People have such short memories - he was 4th in scoring 2 years ago.

4th in scoring for regular season is nice and all but that doesn't equal a cup. And are you talking about the run where alfie and fisher were the only guys that showed up against the ducks? Steam-rolling through a weak east does not hold much merit in my eyes. The whole team was clicking and winning series easily until they faced some adversity and shutdown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad