Sign Gostisbehere Long Term?

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Has Philly ever signed anyone to a longterm that worked out, since Bobby Clarke?

I'd prefer a bridge. I have no problem paying guys who earn it. It's the ones with no incentive that kill you.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'd be fine locking down Ghost with a Klingberg type deal. Also reading between the lines it sounds like Hextall might be thinking the same thing.

Yay or nay?

I was feeling particularly miserable the other day about the Penguins winning and I thought to myself "What made me feel better all year? Ghost did." So I sat and watched the interview Coates did with him. He seems like such a sound kid and it really sounds like he isn't getting ahead of himself at all. I am sure the contract talks from his side will be reasonable. Then on the other side we have Hextall, who has proven to have his eye on the ball. I'm not worried about this one at all - those two will sort something out. I certainly wouldn't be afraid of signing him long term - it's a gamble to sign anyone long term, I guess, but Ghost is worth the gamble, if that's what Hexy chooses to do.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
He hasn´t even played a full season with the team yet. And the Oilers alone have more than a few examples of rookies that hit a wall after they got a hefty pay raise. Use RFA to its advantages and then lock him up mid or long term at fair value

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hextall will probably do a 4 year deal, not long term, probably get him around 3MM/yr

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Has Philly ever signed anyone to a longterm that worked out, since Bobby Clarke?

I'd prefer a bridge. I have no problem paying guys who earn it. It's the ones with no incentive that kill you.
Have the Flyers ever had a defenseman like this? Since Howe?

I think the kid is special and have no problem if they extend him this summer to a long term deal. The number would likely be in the 4's.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hextall will probably do a 4 year deal, not long term, probably get him around 3MM/yr
That seems like the worst possible option. He'd be a UFA after that deal. If you're willing to do 4x3 why not get him at max term when they number probably starts with a 4?

I think he could get a similar deal to the ones Klingberg & Klefbom got recently. I would be fine with that personally.
Yeah I think so too.

Maatta- 6 years @ 4.083 through age 27
Klingberg- 7 years @ 4.25 through age 29
Klefbom- 7 years @ 4.167 through age 29
Rielly- 6 years @ 5 through age 28
Hamilton 6 years @ 5.75 through age 27

Those are the comparables.

If he lights it up this season a Klingberg deal would make sense.
If he has another season like last season the number is going to be a lot higher than it will be this year.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
That seems like the worst possible option. He'd be a UFA after that deal. If you're willing to do 4x3 why not get him at max term when they number probably starts with a 4?

Good point. Seems like Hextall does little deals or goes 7 years. Huge risks either way. If he goes long and craps the bed, Flyers are effed. If they go 2 years, he could put up 60+ and then he'll cost 7MM

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I'd prefer a long term deal. I envy the way the Blackhawks have had amazing defensemen signed for pennies on the dollar.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Have the Flyers ever had a defenseman like this? Since Howe?

I think the kid is special and have no problem if they extend him this summer to a long term deal. The number would likely be in the 4's.

Mike Richards - the next Bobby Clarke - signed longterm...traded..bought out

Jeff Carter - best young scorer the Flyers have had in a long time - signed long term...traded

Chris Pronger - hall of famer - signed longterm...got a year out of him before that blew up

Bryz - finally a goalie! (not my words believe me) signed longterm, bought out.

Shea Weber - signed longterm offersheet...thank God the Preds matched.

Voracek - I'm confident he'll rebound, but presently that contract doesn't look good.

Andrew McDud - nothing needs to be said here

Briere - the beginning was great...bought out in the end.

Vinnie - see McDud

Ron Flockhart looked special in his first full season too. That turned out to be his best season. I don't think that happens to Ghost, but Hextall has preached that guys earn their place on this team from now on. Is part of one season enough to go all in?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Go long term right now.

Offensive Dmen get paid. If we signed him to the same Klingberg deal, that is fine.

He is 23 all next season. Sign him to the 7 year deal and we have him for his 24-30 year old seasons on that contract....becoming a UFA at 31. So we keep him for his prime, then turn the page and let another team overpay for his 31-36 year old seasons.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Mike Richards - the next Bobby Clarke - signed longterm...traded..bought out

Jeff Carter - best young scorer the Flyers have had in a long time - signed long term...traded

Chris Pronger - hall of famer - signed longterm...got a year out of him before that blew up

Bryz - finally a goalie! (not my words believe me) signed longterm, bought out.

Shea Weber - signed longterm offersheet...thank God the Preds matched.

Voracek - I'm confident he'll rebound, but presently that contract doesn't look good.

Andrew McDud - nothing needs to be said here

Briere - the beginning was great...bought out in the end.

Vinnie - see McDud

Ron Flockhart looked special in his first full season too. That turned out to be his best season. I don't think that happens to Ghost, but Hextall has preached that guys earn their place on this team from now on. Is part of one season enough to go all in?
Hextall needs to see how he does this upcoming season but a guy like Ghost can get expensive after a bridge contract because of the point production. And if his defense doesn't develop more, he will be overpaid after the bridge contract. He could end up like Mike Green who's caphit exceeded his play at the end of his contract with Washington. So it's a risk either way.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

You didn't answer my question. Have we had a defenseman like this since Howe? He already earned his spot on the team. Now it's business. It's risky for the Flyers to sign a guy with 66 NHL games under his belt to a long-term contract, yes. But you can also use that to your benefit if you're the Flyers. The Stars did and they are sitting pretty right now with Klingberg.

He had one of the best rookie seasons for a defenseman...ever.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...1val=60&threshhold=5&order_by=points_per_game

If you're not sold after that, you never will be.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
If he's willing to sign long term around 4-5 per, you do it. But if I'm his agent I'd prefer a bridge deal at about 3.5m because if he keeps going at that PPG he'd be getting close to 7m per season afterward. (Consider that 7m per season by then will be like 5.5-6m of value now with cap increases)

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
If Klingberg had been signed after 2015/16 season he would have got more bucks. Nill got a bargain signing him for 4.25M one year ago. Maybe signing Ghost LT now for about 4-4.5 is a better idea than waiting for his 60p season :popcorn:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If he's willing to sign long term around 4-5 per, you do it. But if I'm his agent I'd prefer a bridge deal at about 3.5m because if he keeps going at that PPG he'd be getting close to 7m per season afterward. (Consider that 7m per season by then will be like 5.5-6m of value now with cap increases)

If you're his agent, and a team offers your client $30+ million guaranteed after 66 NHL games and your client already has a major injury under his belt, you're turning that down?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad