Post-Game Talk: ........ (sigh) Leafs lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafstilldeath*

Most cringeworthy PGT I've read in a long time.

the worst part is if we use evidence and stats and take good 25 mins to write up a post using various sites, data sets and information and it shows certain mod's favourite player in a bad light and he deletes the post.

Sometimes I don't even feel like coming over here and posting

Oct 19, 2007
Can you just answer the question without getting sidetracked? Is Kadri as good as Giroux? That's all I want to know.

Why do I ask this? Kadri does not need excuses for being outplayed by a player better than him.

I can answer that for you..Rating centres in the league from 1 to 10 with Crosby being 10, Giroux would be 8 and Kadri would be 5.. There is your answer..:D

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
When did I say he wasn't playing well once he started playing with Santa/Winnik/Komarov? You will not find one such post. If you can, please produce it.

"Then play well, stop the excuses and just do it"...

And I am talking about the entire season as a whole. He has played well

People praising Kadri don't think he's "all that". They think he's good, and he is damn good. But we also call him out when he plays badly. Singling out this game and kadri's play tonight is just plain stupid. The entire team played bad. Hell bernier looked bad, but no one should use this game to say "see, he's not all that".

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
I won't put the entire blame on Bernier, but he was a main reason why we lost tonight. The team had 4 goals tonight and a 2 goal lead in the first period.

Funny thing is, if Reimer would have been the one letting in those stinkers, he would have been crucified, and fans would be going on Twitter to harass his wife.

leafstilldeath*

I won't put the entire blame on Bernier, but he was a main reason why we lost tonight. The team had 4 goals tonight and a 2 goal lead in the first period.

Funny thing is, if Reimer would have been the one letting in those stinkers, he would be crucified.

Is Bernier's wife on twitter? :sarcasm:

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

Funny thing is, if Reimer would have been the one letting in those stinkers, he would be crucified.

People would attack his wife on twitter too. Ridiculous!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
1st line is a dangerous defensive liability, losing JVR and adding Lupul made it worse. Not the sole reason we loss but they played a part.

Neither goalie seemed dialed in and philly got more pucks to the net, not hard to see a loss with how they played

chicago is the statement game now (feels like this season has had many of those)

not going to lie I am so tempted watch world juniors and watch the leaf game on demand, this team is hard to watch right now.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

Funny thing is, if Reimer would have been the one letting in those stinkers, he would have been crucified, and fans would be going on Twitter to harass his wife.

Main reason...yes...

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
what a terrible game, from top to bottem was just horrible, berny played meh but the goals that they scored our D was in lala land..

it be really nice to see one game were we don't get dominated 5 on 5 and get outshot 40 to 25..

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Our Captain and Kessel two worse players on the ice tonight....Kessel should have had his butt stapled to the bench.....what a *****!

Polak was horrible again just like he was before his injury....

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
This team has lots of issues:

Too many soft players who play only one way and are rewarded for it. Kessel, Bozak, JVR, Holland, Lupol (most of the time), Gardner.

Too many players whose statistical production is semi inflated or will probably not progress at the same rate. Santorelli, Winnick, Panik, Franson. Too many players also probably feel too secure with their place in the lineup right now, on forward and defence.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Led by the #43. You can admit it, his back check on his 4th minus was atrocious. This is the best defensive Center on our team according to some. 26% FO. Atleast RC knows when you put Kadri with Kessel (minus Santorelli and Winnik) against another elite player. I.E. Giroux

It is a total mismatch.

Hey stop targeting one player repeatedly. It's getting old!

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
I can answer that for you..Rating centres in the league from 1 to 10 with Crosby being 10, Giroux would be 8 and Kadri would be 5.. There is your answer..:D

Why bother? He's got a hate on.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Still in playoff spot. ****** game and I feel sick I'm so pissed but we can still make playoffs. The only thing that matters.

The only thing matters to you is this team making the playoffs? **** guys our standards have dropped so low.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Game
This was worse than Nashville in my opinion. Nashville was us getting exposed by a really good team, it was ugly and embarrassing but it more highlighted the difference between us on a bad night and a good team on a good night. This? It was a performance that was defensively among the worst I've ever seen. Even Lecavalier looked amazing. Why? Because there were passing lanes everywhere, first of all. As soon as a Flyers puck got the puck with enough time to look up, he had lanes to go to the net, he had lanes to go back to defense and he had lanes to go to linemates. And when you give that kind of opportunities to players like Giroux and Voracek, you end up getting blown out. And that's just pinpointing one of the issues this team had tonight, because not only did we play extremely bad systematically, we failed on an individual level as well.

Great
-

Good
Rielly - Even in a horrible game, you usually have at least some that play well. Rielly was pretty much the only one to do so in this game, had some nice initiative offensively and did the best out of all our players defensively. That he can maintain his game as well as he has this year despite horrible performances by the team is very intriguing.

Average
Franson - Had a slightly better night defensively than Phaneuf and made some nice plays offensively, so he squeaks into the average category. Franson can do better than this though.
Polak - Roman did what he could. Got victimized like Holzer due to his limited skillset and our forwards disappearing show, but at least he got the basics down. He was in position, he worked well in front of the night and stayed physical.
JVR - Has answered the right way on getting taken off the first unit. He played with more hustle, came back more than before to help out defensively and looked more like the JVR we want. Still seems to default to making plays that didn't fit with a line looking to cycle until opportunities arise though, but with time away from the first line this will probably change.
Smith - Struggled on the draw like all our players, but centered the only line I felt comfortable with. The only line able to play against their top unit as well for some odd reason. Smith was decent tonight, and the line got rewarded for their play later on.
Booth - On a night when Booth is perhaps your best forward five on five, you know something is very wrong. Never quits on a play. I think he is tailoring his game into becoming a decent fourth liner instead of the scoring line guy he's been earlier, and it might buy him a few more years in the league.
Panik - Like his linemates, he had a decent night. Perhaps the one closest to a bad rating, but he makes up for some mistakes with some added skill. Had some beautiful skill moves to get the puck out of our zone, I like that as it shows that you can use skill for other things than creating offense.

Bad
Bernier - Seven goals against and not awful? Yeah, Bernier did not make the saves we needed but goals came from superb shots on quality scoring chances. If you are judging your goaltender based on his ability to make saves on that kind of shots on those kind of chances, you are setting yourself up for a disappointment. If Bernier was in the zone he'd stop maybe two-three of those and we'd end up losing anyway. You can never rely on your goaltenders to make impossible saves over and over in a game and expect to get anything but a L out of it.
Phaneuf - Perhaps his worst game of the season. Out of position, bad passing, bad decisions, screening the goaltender on two goals, seemed rattled. He's been our best D-man this year but tonight he was crap.
Bozak - Borderline awful. Not sure what Bozak was doing tonight, but he had one of our worst defensive performances while not doing much offensively except some sporadic attempts at counter attacking. Get him away from Kessel, force him to rely on a wider game because he's getting slowly shaped into a less skilled Kessel with faceoff-prowess.
Kessel - Phil created some chances and got some points, but otherwise he had one of his worst games from a defensive standpoint. Played scared, and it came back to haunt us over and over.
Lupul - We put our best possession player on the first line instead of its worst, and it didn't help. I'm not really surprised. I don't think any one guy can help that line, we need to have two strong possession and two-way players to hide the deficiencies of Kessel for it to be successful. Lupul had an awful night defensively, he's also pretty much borderline awful.
Santorelli - So it finally happened. The only player not to have a bad night for the Leafs this season finally had one. Santa was ineffective, had problems controlling the puck and with no cycle game to speak of, he disappeared out of the game.
Holland - Borderline average, Holland had some nice plays and some nice calm in the chaos, but he's just way ineffective for too much of the game. If there's something he needs to work on, it is intensity through the game and across all three zones.
Winnik - Had a nice performance on the PK as always, but other than that he was surprisingly ineffective even strength. I don't mean that he didn't create chances, because that's not really what Winnik does for you, but he didn't seem to win battles or give his linemates any space tonight.
Clarkson - Clarkson had a better performance than he's had lately, that monster shot was very nice to see. He also was one of few who managed to maintain some puck possession offensively. Stupid penalties and no passing game to speak of though, but it's at least a step back from being the worst player on the ice.

Awful
Holzer - Replaces Gardiner and answers with a performance that was like Gardiner on a bad night. First half of the game it seemed like the Flyers just went right through him. Constantly flat-footed, constantly out of position, constantly getting beaten. Add to that an inability to move the puck and you have a pretty bad night. Victimized by the overall team play.
Robidas - Man, Robidas was getting bulled over constantly in this game, and for once he looked rattled and started to throw the puck away. That's pretty much the first time I've ever seen a game get to him. He was a liability tonight, unfortunately.
Kadri - Had a bad night, a stupid night where he played much more like what we saw from him before this season. A bad version of old Kadri. Shuffled around a bit in the lines, I'm willing to forget this performance if he can get back to his game tomorrow.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Also it's pretty ridiculous the way some people use this overall absolutely awful performance by coach and the team systematically and individually by pretty much every player to try and further their agenda against one player.

Anyone that tries to pin this on one player alone or feel the need to focus completely on one player after a game like this is doing nothing more than pouncing on any opportunity to say "I told you so."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad