Post-Game Talk: ........ (sigh) Leafs lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danron1376

Jan 3, 2011
Carlyle is the problem. He still can't figure out how to optimize this lineup. It's embarrassing.

His teams in Anaheim sucked possession wise, and improved greatly once he was replaced. His style does not work, unless he has two first ballot hall of fame defensemen sheltering his poor decisions.

Get him out and let Spott take the interim reins. It can't really get worse.

can't trade the whole team so we gotta try something. surprised he wasn't let go when shanahan was hired.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
can't trade the whole team so we gotta try something. surprised he wasn't let go when shanahan was hired.

Shanahan wants Babcock.

It was reported that if Babcock or even McLellan were made available last summer, Carlyle would have been gone.

Heck, Shanahan was talking to Detroit about Babcock before the Carlyle extension, that really isn't an extension.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
I don't buy **** like that. Your telling me Polak couldn't dummy that twig if he wanted to?

Callin up Orr and McLaren isnt the answer. They played like ****, period.

um yeah, thats just it - no one "wants to".

Scorers score, defenders defend, pluggers plug, fighters fight - we have no fighters on board. End of story. Like Don Cherry pointed out so correctly about Calgary: finally the other teams are realizing just now there is nothing to be afraid of this year when playing Calgary, so take liberties and win. Same with Leafs: hittem' more, intimidate Kessel et al, and this team probably backs off and folds.

Hey, we love Santorelli and Winnick and Panik and Smith, but this is secondary scoring from $1M salary players - how far can it take us? Quiet down our top two lines and it'll be no cakewalk into the playoffs. That said, I think we are good enough regardless to get in.

So unless you have fighters on board, the intimidation is gonna get worse come February when contending teams get real serious.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto

Scorers score, defenders defend, pluggers plug, fighters fight - we have no fighters on board. End of story. Like Don Cherry pointed out so correctly about Calgary: finally the other teams are realizing just now there is nothing to be afraid of this year when playing Calgary, so take liberties and win. Same with Leafs: hittem' more, intimidate Kessel et al, and this team probably backs off and folds.

Hey, we love Santorelli and Winnick and Panik and Smith, but this is secondary scoring from $1M salary players - how far can it take us? Quiet down our top two lines and it'll be no cakewalk into the playoffs. That said, I think we are good enough regardless to get in.

So unless you have fighters on board, the intimidation is gonna get worse come February when contending teams get real serious.

Calgary's lack of talent is the reason for their demise, not some plug fighting. Our third and fourth lines this year are much improved. Its great having the ability to play our fourth line regularly. I would take anyone of Holland, Winnik, Santo, Panik, Booth over Orr and McLaren type players every day of the week. Our team got better, not worse by the departure of those two. Glad they're gone.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011

What teams even regulary dress goons anymore? It's a new era, you don't see a team like Chicago have any goons and fighting, or Detroit or Pittsburgh. Those days are long gone.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Have you watched Gardiner play this year? He's certainly part of the problem. His contract takes up valuable cap space as the 2nd highest paid D man on the team. His play is a problem. So yes he is definitely part of the problem on a team that is 24th in GA.

But David Clarkson's isn't a problem whatsoever, right? :shakehead

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I think we played pretty well until we didnt.

As a constant Kessel basher the first period pretty much sums him up and why I would want to replace him with some one else.

He got 2 assists while we went 2-0 up against the Flyers. That´s fine even do it was secondary assists (first goal was all about Rielly skating hard and finding Lupul, the other goal was all about Franson making the right decision and make a shot-pass (or whatever it is called) instead of making a regular pass or shot).

Anyway, so we are 2-0 up and starting to look more and more confident. Then Kessel looses the puck high up along the boards because he is afraid to play physical. Flyers counters and score a goal. Shortly after one of our defenders are trying to clear the zone by playing the puck up along the boards to Kessel. Kessel stands still and watch a Flyers player (Read?) come in between him and the puck and take control of the puck. Flyers attack and they make it 2-2.

Some times you have players who make all the little things the right way, well Kessel is the opposite of that. He is unable to make any those little things right and thus cost us more goals against then he is creating for us. You can not win with a guy like that. You just cant.

I dont care that he can get almost 40 goals in just about any season or that he creates a lot of offense when he shots the puck at net. And I am actually worried how the next batch of Leafs players will respond to watching the teams biggest star player bail on play after play because he is afraid of getting hit. And that is the player we have rewarded with a 8 year contract.

Sums up one of the big problems with this team.

Imagine you are one of the guys on the bench who are expected to play hard and you watch this guy floating for 8 millions year...

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Also it's pretty ridiculous the way some people use this overall absolutely awful performance by coach and the team systematically and individually by pretty much every player to try and further their agenda against one player.

Anyone that tries to pin this on one player alone or feel the need to focus completely on one player after a game like this is doing nothing more than pouncing on any opportunity to say "I told you so."

I get the impression that's the point of this place :laugh:

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

Imagine you are one of the guys on the bench who are expected to play hard and you watch this guy floating for 8 millions year...

And then said player realizes that no matter how hard he plays, he will never be able to perform as well as this lazy player apparently does....

If only every job were like this. Where the marginal contributors have to put it all on the line to scrape through whereas the most successful get to pace themselves because they know how important they are to the company.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

Then I would realize that I get paid pretty well. And I'd be fearful that if I don't do my own job, worry about MY OWN job I could be traded. Any player who sits there sulking because of any perceived double standard for Phil is a child. Any player who changes the way they play because of that perception, is a child and should be traded.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

And then realize that even floating (apparently) he'll score more this season then you will in your entire career.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
And then said player realizes that no matter how hard he plays, he will never be able to perform as well as this lazy player apparently does....

That depends on whether performance is measured in personal statistics or in team success.

If only every job were like this. Where the marginal contributors have to put it all on the line to scrape through whereas the most successful get to pace themselves because they know how important they are to the company.

That is pretty much what it is like if you substitute successful for manager. And knowing for thinking.

Then I would realize that I get paid pretty well. And I'd be fearful that if I don't do my own job, worry about MY OWN job I could be traded. Any player who sits there sulking because of any perceived double standard for Phil is a child. Any player who changes the way they play because of that perception, is a child and should be traded.

A double standard on a team is bad mmmkay.

Obviously there has to be a certain amount of leeway for individuals because everyone is motivated a little different but Phil is off the charts soft and lazy outside the offensive zone.

Look at successful teams and look at who their best/highest paid players are and how they play in comparison. It shouldn't take to long to make things very, very apparent.

And then realize that even floating (apparently) he'll score more this season then you will in your entire career.

And get scored on just as much or more. (At ES almost assuredly more)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
What teams even regulary dress goons anymore? It's a new era, you don't see a team like Chicago have any goons and fighting, or Detroit or Pittsburgh. Those days are long gone.

Leafs might as well have a team full of knuckle draggers. The current collection of skill players have no guts for the game, and, very little motivation to succeed! :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad