Sigh...I'm so sick of Idiots in Adult Leagues...

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
But she's been toughing it out and having alot of fun, even joined a local women's league, that surprisingly has bigger a-holes than the men's league. Sharing a hobby like this with her makes it easy to spend time together, as I've even got her watching NHL games with me on a semi-regular basis :yo:

My wife had the same problem.
She would come home and tell me things I've never seen in a mens beer league. And most of the time it was by woman on her own team.
She was just a beginner and wasn't very strong on her skates. But that was the purpose of this league. But a couple of lesbians on the team, who were really good, took it upon themselves to berate all the lower-end players after each and every game. My wife and a few other of the girls eventually quit. It wasn't any fun trying to learn a new sport and then get screamed at on the bench and in the dressing room by a group of bull-dykes.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
My wife had the same problem.
She would come home and tell me things I've never seen in a mens beer league. And most of the time it was by woman on her own team.
She was just a beginner and wasn't very strong on her skates. But that was the purpose of this league. But a couple of lesbians on the team, who were really good, took it upon themselves to berate all the lower-end players after each and every game. My wife and a few other of the girls eventually quit. It wasn't any fun trying to learn a new sport and then get screamed at on the bench and in the dressing room by a group of bull-dykes.

I played summer league and we had the same problem. I ended up taking control of the team because we were losing players left and right.

We had 5 players leave our team and we recruited 4 more.

Needless to say we were a better team because of it.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Here's another thing I hate in Adult leagues.

People who won't calm down when they need to.

One good example is my team was losing 8-2, I dropped back to play defense by that point (normally a winger) because I wanted to try defense a bit. One minute left, and a guy winds up and tries to fire a slapshot through me. It hits my right shin pad, and it was a good pad. I had a bone bruise on my upper shin for 4 months.

Seriously, when you're winning that much, why the hell would you do that and risk hurting someone?

The Muffin Stud

Mar 3, 2007
Layton, Utah
What I can't stand the most are those losers who act all like the're playing in the show.

They freak out at teammates (Even teens and 20-something kids who are just there for a good time or conditioning) because they feel they are not playing at the calibre they think they should be.

I remember this one time this fat, middle aged mill worker on my bros team got pissed off at a drop-in game (Yes, drop-in!) at this one kid for not blocking a point shot, despite that fact that he (nor was anyone else) was not wearing a chest protector. It was a light game of shinny, there was no reason to wear one.

God, I hate those in-denial morons who can;t accept the fact that they are everyday people not making $500,000 bi-weekly paychecks.:shakehead

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
What I can't stand the most are those losers who act all like the're playing in the show.

They freak out at teammates (Even teens and 20-something kids who are just there for a good time or conditioning) because they feel they are not playing at the calibre they think they should be.

I remember this one time this fat, middle aged mill worker on my bros team got pissed off at a drop-in game (Yes, drop-in!) at this one kid for not blocking a point shot, despite that fact that he (nor was anyone else) was not wearing a chest protector. It was a light game of shinny, there was no reason to wear one.

God, I hate those in-denial morons who can;t accept the fact that they are everyday people not making $500,000 bi-weekly paychecks.:shakehead

I agree.

My brother was visiting me for the week when he had Under 19 lacrosse tryouts. He had his gear at my uncle's place because the last time he played hockey he broke his wrist so they just left the gear.

Anyway, he went to play a game of drop in and this fat farmer started freaking on him because he didn't "play with heart." Then another farmer went and crosschecked him into the net.

My brother left.

He's got a full ride 5 year scholorship to an American University. He can't risk screwing it up by getting hurt playing adult pickup. (He's 17 BTW)

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'm so tired of idiots throwing cheapshots and hits that could seriously injure someone.

Yes hockey even in an non-contact league gets a bit physical with a crosscheck in front of the net, or some minor contact along the boards but tonight I had to witness another one of my stupid teammates go overboard because he cannot control himself.

He got a bit of a slash across the hands...he turns around with a full 2 hand swing with his stick missing the guy....then the guy he meant to hit is facing the boards and he crosschecks him in the back full force into the boards...thus injuring the player and his helmet flying off.

I mean, give me a god damn break...I almost wanted to get off the bench and give my own teammate a beating.

How ****ing stupid can you be? Wow you took a slash..suck it up. Instead he tries to break someones neck.

I wish adult leagues instead of just handing out a 5 min major and a game misconduct would kick these morons out of the league altogether. We are adults, respect each other, you take a bit of a slash or a little contact then suck it up. Its hockey, its going to happen, but to try to break someone neck, deliver a cheap punch, take out a knee...etc....c'on. I wish adult leagues would get rid of these idiots. I play in 3 adult leagues for FUN, its great to go to work on a game day knowing that I have a game that night because I enjoy playing the game.

Unfortunately leagues just care about the money so they would never kick someone out of their league.

I took 14 stitches to the mouth because of a crosscheck and the guy yells at me to put on a shield. No penalty called.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Anyone who has played in rec leagues has seen just about all these stories play out in one form or another. I find its really best to just have as much fun as possible . I am 5' 9" 175 , not always the smallest guy on the ice but by far not the biggest so gooning it up is not an option. I always try to clown around with the other team , seems to lighten the on ice mood. If i'm taking draws and killing a guy all night or he is killing me i'll tell him to " give me one of these cause you been killing me all night " I just think after a whistle is a good time to chit chat the other team a little in a sporting way. I will tell the other goalie to " quit being so stingy and let a few in " In our non checking leagues i don't wear shoulder pads just elbows so i'm not a big fan of catching those cross checks in the back . It does happen but not usually in a violent way , if i feel its excessive i'll tell the guy abd believe it or not they listen. It seems like every team has one guy that thinks its the NHL and every win is do or die. Some guys loose sight of the fact its suposed to be fun and everyone has to go to work tomorrow. If i take the first draw of the game i always tell the other center " good luck"

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I have my fair share of stories as well, but I am in pain this morning and a little bored at work so I figured I would share last night's game experience with you all.

Played a team full of chippy, angry 30-40 year old men last night. I play defense, but I'm more of a puck possession, lead the rush kind of player, so I tend to get alot of "attention" from the other teams. Early in the second period I forced a turnover and took the puck the other way, got a break around the left D-man and cut towards the net for a shot. Goalie makes the save and as I turn to backcheck, their right D-man comes across with a violent cross-check right across my bicep. Huge knot on my arm this morning, it actually hurt to get dressed.

Later in the game, we're up 6-4 and down a man. We defended well and kept them away from our net. With about two seconds left, I blocked a shot in the circle and it ends up about a foot or two in front of my feet. Game over right? Wrong. Some guy on the other team who was facing the boards decides to attempt a desperation spin slapper (i.e., he was guessing where the puck was because he wasn't facing the play, so he just spun around and swung). He obviously misses the puck, and ends up following through on my legs. Didn't feel good.

I not so kindly reminded their team that the Stanley Cup was being awarded in Pittsburgh, not on our rink. No chance they got the message, though. It's funny because I actually thought about this thread multiple times during the game.

Last edited:

lemieux32*

Here's another thing I hate in Adult leagues.

People who won't calm down when they need to.

One good example is my team was losing 8-2, I dropped back to play defense by that point (normally a winger) because I wanted to try defense a bit. One minute left, and a guy winds up and tries to fire a slapshot through me. It hits my right shin pad, and it was a good pad. I had a bone bruise on my upper shin for 4 months.

Seriously, when you're winning that much, why the hell would you do that and risk hurting someone?

So you aren't allowed to shoot the puck if your team is winning because you may give someone a bruise?!?!?!

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
So you aren't allowed to shoot the puck if your team is winning because you may give someone a bruise?!?!?!

your allowed , but late in a game up 6 goals its kinda an ass holeish thing to do , whats the point the game is won are you just padding your stats? No one cares if ya walk one in and shoot , but to rip one from in close is a dick head move , I guess some people get it and some don't ,, your the later i guess.

lemieux32*

your allowed , but late in a game up 6 goals its kinda an ass holeish thing to do , whats the point the game is won are you just padding your stats? No one cares if ya walk one in and shoot , but to rip one from in close is a dick head move , I guess some people get it and some don't ,, your the later i guess.

You said "No one cares if ya walk one in and shoot" so why are you attacking me? Where did he say anything about ripping one from in close? He said:

One minute left, and a guy winds up and tries to fire a slapshot through me. It hits my right shin pad, and it was a good pad.

I really think someone who either makes things up or simply doesn't have a clue about what someone said should not be telling someone else that they do not get it.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey

I'm gonna ignore your argument with the other dude. But overall, remember, a lot of people in these leagues have jobs and can't be getting hurt. Coming in and trying to shoot through someone is something we all know can hurt the other person, but we do it anyone, but if you do it late in the game when the game is way over is just a dick move. If it were a 2-2 game, I wouldn't be complaining, but at the stage of the game where I took the shot, he really didn't have to shoot.

lemieux32*

I'm gonna ignore your argument with the other dude. But overall, remember, a lot of people in these leagues have jobs and can't be getting hurt. Coming in and trying to shoot through someone is something we all know can hurt the other person, but we do it anyone, but if you do it late in the game when the game is way over is just a dick move. If it were a 2-2 game, I wouldn't be complaining, but at the stage of the game where I took the shot, he really didn't have to shoot.

So you feel there should be rules as to when you are allowed to shoot the puck? I also think the person who shot the puck was not trying to "shoot through" anyone, he was shooting at the net and someone was between him and the net. Perfectly acceptable and if that really is an issue then you should not be playing or you shouldn't be between the player and the goal.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
So you feel there should be rules as to when you are allowed to shoot the puck? I also think the person who shot the puck was not trying to "shoot through" anyone, he was shooting at the net and someone was between him and the net. Perfectly acceptable and if that really is an issue then you should not be playing or you shouldn't be between the player and the goal.

Again , Its allowed , Its just a classless thing to do. But your right , he did not mention anything about in close. thats just how i read it.

Last edited:

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey

You really need to stop reading too much into the post. I never said there should be rules, ever, so why do you think that?

As for "not trying to," he looked up at me, then put his head down and fired at me. It's not illegal, but its a dick thing to do when the game is pretty much over, especially since I got hurt.

lemieux32*

You really need to stop reading too much into the post. I never said there should be rules, ever, so why do you think that?

It's called exaggeration to emphasize the stupidity of talking about when it is appropriate to shoot and when it isn't/

As for "not trying to," he looked up at me, then put his head down and fired at me. It's not illegal, but its a dick thing to do when the game is pretty much over, especially since I got hurt.

So why did you not mention this before? Before you just said some guy was trying to shoot through you not that the guy looked at you and then shot the puck. Though I do wonder if he actually looked at you or looked at the goal which was behind you. If he truly looked right at you and shot it was uncool. If you got a bone bruise that lasted four months then I would suggest seeing a doctor since you obviously have some sort of health problem and some real shin guards.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
So why did you not mention this before? Before you just said some guy was trying to shoot through you not that the guy looked at you and then shot the puck. Though I do wonder if he actually looked at you or looked at the goal which was behind you. If he truly looked right at you and shot it was uncool. If you got a bone bruise that lasted four months then I would suggest seeing a doctor since you obviously have some sort of health problem and some real shin guards.

I don't think you're grasping what is being discussed. Up 6 goals with 2 minutes left, you'd expect a modicum of sportsmanship. There's nothing wrong with the guy trying to beat him 1 on 1, but trying to blast a shot through him just isn't cool. It's the same in any competitive league - if a team is up by 4+ goals, coaches tend to rest their stars and put out the pluggers so as not to embarass the other team.The poster is pointing out how some hot doggers try to run up the score or injure other players when the game is already well out of reach.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
You guys ever hear of trying to use a defenseman as a screen?

If he doesn't want to get hit with a puck, no matter what the score is, then he shouldn't be playing. We all know that this game can get rough at times. Yet, we still participate. This stuff is all part of the game.

lemieux32*

I don't think you're grasping what is being discussed. Up 6 goals with 2 minutes left, you'd expect a modicum of sportsmanship. There's nothing wrong with the guy trying to beat him 1 on 1, but trying to blast a shot through him just isn't cool. It's the same in any competitive league - if a team is up by 4+ goals, coaches tend to rest their stars and put out the pluggers so as not to embarass the other team.The poster is pointing out how some hot doggers try to run up the score or injure other players when the game is already well out of reach.

Did he say the guy who shot the puck was a star? Perhaps the guy was someone who had not scored a goal all season...or someone playing his first game back after an injury...there are as many reasons to excuse the guy for taking a shot at goal late in a blow out as there are to condemn him for doing it. For what it's worth I have never played in a league where people get mad at people for shooting the puck unless it is after the whistle.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Did he say the guy who shot the puck was a star? Perhaps the guy was someone who had not scored a goal all season...or someone playing his first game back after an injury...there are as many reasons to excuse the guy for taking a shot at goal late in a blow out as there are to condemn him for doing it. For what it's worth I have never played in a league where people get mad at people for shooting the puck unless it is after the whistle.

Nope, never mentioned the guy was good or bad. It's all tied into sportsmanship. You can't take everything in this thread so seriously. A lot of it is just minor complaints about people who don't respect other players.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
I've played in men's leagues for 20 years and seen my fair share. I have not played any other sports in organized leagues as an adult but I would imagine somewhere there is a 40 year old jackass sliding hard in to second during a softball game.

Oh, absolutely there is. We were playing a game that had gone into extra innings, and when they had a runner on first, their first base coach looked at the runner and said 'Slide hard into 2. Get those feet up'. I laughed and asked him to tell his catcher to buckle her chin strap when they took the field.

He didn't laugh, but he didn't tell anyone else to 'slide hard' either. I have to go in to work the next day - my boss is nice, but I don't feel like missing a couple months in the lab with a broken ankle.

Its the same for any rec sport. Some people want to have fun, some people want to relive their lost (or never found) glory.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Oh, absolutely there is. We were playing a game that had gone into extra innings, and when they had a runner on first, their first base coach looked at the runner and said 'Slide hard into 2. Get those feet up'. I laughed and asked him to tell his catcher to buckle her chin strap when they took the field.

He didn't laugh, but he didn't tell anyone else to 'slide hard' either. I have to go in to work the next day - my boss is nice, but I don't feel like missing a couple months in the lab with a broken ankle.

Its the same for any rec sport. Some people want to have fun, some people want to relive their lost (or never found) glory.

sliding hard is simply playing hard IMO. Getting those feet up is another thing, but if you play in a league like me, than you can't wear metal anyway but still i understand the principal. The worst is PURPOSELY hitting the ball back up the middle at the pitcher, it sucks because you have no time to react, especially with juiced bats. Our team has gotten in to two basically scrums with the same team because they pulled stunts like that. Some people amaze me everyday.:shakehead

Breakaway23*

I just played against a bunch of mostly upper level division guys, and found they almost never passed me the puck.

Granted I am not great and no ringer, but not that bad.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
This didn't happen to me, but I witnessed it while watching an opponents playoff game.
I play in a VERY clean league and the guys do a great job running and organizing it. What that means is that even light intentional contact is frowned upon. Key word: intentional. Well there was this one team all year who amassed almost as many PIM as the other 7 teams in the tier combined. Slight exaggeration but they were a very chippy team to play against, could never remember to "turn it off" from their days in organized competitive hockey. Every team in the tier dreads playing these guys.

Anyways, the puck gets stopped behind the back of the net and two players are battling for it. The player on the dirty team grabs the other players stick and pulls it from his hands and tosses it on the ice. The puck goes the other way and they sort of yap at each other. The player who lost his stick bends over to pick it up and the other one very casually pushes it away from him with his own stick and continues to skate back into the play. The player without the stick just snapped and grabbed his opponent by the back and gives him a full body slam over his shoulder onto his back right on the ice. It was an impressive display of strength. We all just looked at this completely stunned because this is the sort of league where a couple shoves will get you a misconduct and a body check can warrant suspensions. Funny thing was that most of us watching it kind of smiled. It was nice to see someone finally stand up to the dirty team that everyone hated to play.

The ref didn't see it and they both got 3 minutes for roughing.

My team and I all know the player who did it too and hes a super nice guy. Just goes to show that those kind of dirty plays can make even gentlemanly players lose it. Teams really need to learn the rules and code of conduct in their leagues and abide to them.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
This didn't happen to me, but I witnessed it while watching an opponents playoff game.
I play in a VERY clean league and the guys do a great job running and organizing it. What that means is that even light intentional contact is frowned upon. Key word: intentional. Well there was this one team all year who amassed almost as many PIM as the other 7 teams in the tier combined. Slight exaggeration but they were a very chippy team to play against, could never remember to "turn it off" from their days in organized competitive hockey. Every team in the tier dreads playing these guys.

Anyways, the puck gets stopped behind the back of the net and two players are battling for it. The player on the dirty team grabs the other players stick and pulls it from his hands and tosses it on the ice. The puck goes the other way and they sort of yap at each other. The player who lost his stick bends over to pick it up and the other one very casually pushes it away from him with his own stick and continues to skate back into the play. The player without the stick just snapped and grabbed his opponent by the back and gives him a full body slam over his shoulder onto his back right on the ice. It was an impressive display of strength. We all just looked at this completely stunned because this is the sort of league where a couple shoves will get you a misconduct and a body check can warrant suspensions. Funny thing was that most of us watching it kind of smiled. It was nice to see someone finally stand up to the dirty team that everyone hated to play.

The ref didn't see it and they both got 3 minutes for roughing.

My team and I all know the player who did it too and hes a super nice guy. Just goes to show that those kind of dirty plays can make even gentlemanly players lose it. Teams really need to learn the rules and code of conduct in their leagues and abide to them.

I consider myself a very clean and respectful player but that **** would set me off too. I don't make it a big deal when I get intentionally checked by the dirtier teams in our league but one thing I HATE is when I feel personally disrespected. What happened to that guy, he was getting personally disrespected. I wouldve done the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad