Sigh...I'm so sick of Idiots in Adult Leagues...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Actually...I'd say the slashes and hooks are where it started for me.

I never complained about the odd stick and the refs gave some players a little extra room to work with on me...and thats fine...

Just between you and me...I'm well ahead of anyone in this league in terms of smarts.

Thats why I get the 'first year guys' on my line.

This year we had an exchange student from Denmark...great soccer player..never been in skates until this year.

By about half way through the regular season...he was scoring almost every game and I think that really pi$$ed off some of the other teams. They figured this 'weak link' was going to be a piece of cake...but it turned out he was in wicked shape and extremely competitive and proud and he busts his ass until he's a better player than some Canadian guys who think they know what they are doing...and as a result I was having a blast setting him up...just so I could see his reaction...and it seemed to set off some of those Canadian posers.

Psst...just between you and me... were on a Public message board!
(so exactly how bright is the second smartest individual in your league?:sarcasm::D)

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Psst...just between you and me... were on a Public message board!
(so exactly how bright is the second smartest individual in your league?:sarcasm::D)

I worded it that way as a joke but I'm sure you figured that out,right?

What I am implying is after watching many guys in our league...I see the same things you see in most beer leagues...2 or 3 guys who can play decent...but they decide its their biggest goal in life to take the puck coast to coast and slide it through a D-man's legs then pick the top corner...or...if someone tries to do it to them...they have to take them down and say something really awesome like: "Not in my house,buddy."

These are the same guys that lose their kewl and foolishly chase other guys around the rink swearing/trash talking/baiting/bullying at al.

But for the record...the 2nd smartest guy in our league is any of MY teams defencemen who find me on the right wing when its time to make the out let pass. ;)

OilerNut*

Doesn't just happen in league games.

Was playing a pickup game tonight and got a stick in the face and hit from behind into the boards. These two guys also almost came to blows also. It's ridiculous.

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
I'm constantly getting sticks near the face, elbowed, slashed, and cross-checked. My friends get hit from behind at least twice a game.

I couldn't believe how chippy some games get.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
I worded it that way as a joke but I'm sure you figured that out,right?

What I am implying is after watching many guys in our league...I see the same things you see in most beer leagues...2 or 3 guys who can play decent...but they decide its their biggest goal in life to take the puck coast to coast and slide it through a D-man's legs then pick the top corner...or...if someone tries to do it to them...they have to take them down and say something really awesome like: "Not in my house,buddy."

These are the same guys that lose their kewl and foolishly chase other guys around the rink swearing/trash talking/baiting/bullying at al.

But for the record...the 2nd smartest guy in our league is any of MY teams defencemen who find me on the right wing when its time to make the out let pass. ;)

dont be modest everest.... tell us how great you are.

SupersonicMonkey*

I am usually a guy that is in the same boat as many others. I am out there to have fun, Get away for the Family, and have fun. Don't think i have ever done somethiung dirty, and if i noticede someone was pissed if i did something, i would usually go over and actually say sorry bout that. Damn i gotta work in the morning. I play hard, but i am not getting paid, i am payiing to play and last thing i want to do is get tossed and waste my money. I do not mind taking the occasional bump/slash/or hit, it mens league, everyone gets hacked one way or another, it is just bad when it escalates

Case in point

I used to play at the Ice VAult in Wayne NJ, My brother is playing there now, and said that two guys were yapping at each other all game, then finally started going at it fighting. Well as it turns out, the Arena is in the process of Pressing Charges on both guys for Assault.....

Ice Vault in Wayne, i love their pro shop.

I never played or skated there though. How is it there?

SupersonicMonkey*

It is great that everyone here on the board feels the same about good sportsmanship, fair play, and playing just to play and have fun.

Too bad we can't start a local team.

We'reGonnaWin*

Guy took a shot from a sharp angle and I just boxed out the other team to keep them from chopping at my goalie. Player from other team comes flying in and knocks me into my goalie and the crossbar after the whistle as I let my guard down.

What kind of a ***** do you have to be to pull something like this? If my teammate did that, I would call him out for it. "Always stand up for your teammate": Yes. But if one of my friends started playing like that, I wouldn't hesitate to have a quiet word with him.:shakehead

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
if something serious goes down... you have the ability to press charges on him. you have 30 witnesses of the incident... just because one is playing hockey doesn't mean that all civil laws are thrown out the window.

if someone is taking a dirty run at you in a NON contact league and seriously hurts you... do something about it! you missing time from work because of a "bleeping" hot head is not right at all.

I gotta agree with this sentiment. Generally, I'm strongly against the overuse of lawyers in our society. But playing Ice hockey is something I've always wanted to do since I was around 15, and last year at the age of 26 finally started playing and loving it. If some idiot ends my playing days when I've only just started, like the guy here who got his collar bone shattered, I'll be pursuing full civil and criminal punishment.

Now thankfully compared to some of the stories here I'm playing in a pertty good league. It's an HNA league which can be found in a number of cities, with adult beginner divisions, no contact and very strict against fighting. I think they've had one 'fighting' incident in the last 10 years, and that guy got kicked out. Of course there's the occasional incidental contact and the odd temper flaring, but the general sense is that we're all out there having fun.

And like Everest I also have the proud distinction of being a 'smart' player. That's how I was able to lead my team in scoring in our short winter season, despite not being the most talented plus a legit beginner :)

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
Ice Vault in Wayne, i love their pro shop.

I never played or skated there though. How is it there?

I liked it. Never really had an issue. The ice times were pretty good, the mens competition was okay, and the ice was real good from what i remember.

It was right around the corner from my office in Totowa, so i used to take an extended lunch and go play pick up there. Too bad not many other people went. Usually it was me a few others just shooting pucks and skating. I think they have like three divisions. I'd go back if I lived there still.

Enstrom39

Apr 1, 2006
www.birdwatchersanonymous.com
I'm so tired of idiots throwing cheapshots and hits that could seriously injure someone.

Yes hockey even in an non-contact league gets a bit physical with a crosscheck in front of the net, or some minor contact along the boards but tonight I had to witness another one of my stupid teammates go overboard because he cannot control himself.

He got a bit of a slash across the hands...he turns around with a full 2 hand swing with his stick missing the guy....then the guy he meant to hit is facing the boards and he crosschecks him in the back full force into the boards...thus injuring the player and his helmet flying off.

I mean, give me a god damn break...I almost wanted to get off the bench and give my own teammate a beating.

How ****ing stupid can you be? Wow you took a slash..suck it up. Instead he tries to break someones neck.

I wish adult leagues instead of just handing out a 5 min major and a game misconduct would kick these morons out of the league altogether. We are adults, respect each other, you take a bit of a slash or a little contact then suck it up. Its hockey, its going to happen, but to try to break someone neck, deliver a cheap punch, take out a knee...etc....c'on. I wish adult leagues would get rid of these idiots. I play in 3 adult leagues for FUN, its great to go to work on a game day knowing that I have a game that night because I enjoy playing the game.

Unfortunately leagues just care about the money so they would never kick someone out of their league.

My local league hands out one month and one year suspensions on a regular basis.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Going slightly OT here, but your mentioning of the camera and laptop reminded me of something. One thing I've learnt from hockey is that a LOT of people who play it, magnify in their heads everything that happens. So if they score a goal that deflects off a stick and goes top shelf, they're snipers and proceed to yell loudly with arms in the air. If they get hit, it's dirty. If they hit (no matter how hard), it's just part of the game.

I honestly think that everyone would benefit from being filmed, and watching back what they are like on the ice, and - just as importantly - just how good/bad they are.

I remember scoring a garbage goal in one of my first few games, and thinking 'jeez that's awesome, what a goal'. I then saw the footage of it on a mate's camera, and it WAS rubbish. Since then, I've made a point of toning down any sort of celebration, because I know how stupid it looks.

Same with flow of the game. I've heard people think the game is fast, and I hear friends watching the game complain about how slow it is.

As for me, I've come to terms with it, I don't celebrate unless it's a big goal (like a championship game). Last time I celebrated was a Briere fist pump when I set up my friend for the GWG when I was behind the net, and threw it in the slow for a one-timer. But like I said, GWG in the championship game.

RangerSteve

Same with flow of the game. I've heard people think the game is fast, and I hear friends watching the game complain about how slow it is.

As for me, I've come to terms with it, I don't celebrate unless it's a big goal (like a championship game). Last time I celebrated was a Briere fist pump when I set up my friend for the GWG when I was behind the net, and threw it in the slow for a one-timer. But like I said, GWG in the championship game.

I'll raise my arm up after scoring, but that would be the extent of it. I agree that I may 'crank it up' a little in a Championship game or an OT playoff game. However, if there is a dope on the other team skating end to end like Pavel Bure ending Calgary's season, I do kinda go outta my way to piss them off too heh.

SSM12

May 30, 2004
North Carolina, USA
Some players take it way to far. I was playing in an inline game about a week ago and I tripped him, fair enough I was going to go to the penalty box. I had tripped over him right as I had tripped him. Both going for a puck in the boards, I put my stick out, him to, but I got his feet. Big deal, wasn't intentional, and he didn't fall hard at all. So I am getting up, go to apologize and the next thing I know I get 2 blows to the back of my head with his glove. Needless to say, I finished my apology and skated to the penalty box, all the while he laid back down and acted hurt till the ref came over. So im sitting in the box, and the players on my team are IRATE cause he didnt get a penalty for punching me. I told them to chill, it was just a game. No harm done, I had a helmet on. One of my teammates insisted on bickering with the ref and he got a penalty as well. Lost the game on the ensuing 2 man advantage.

Bottom line, its just a game, I wasn't gonna do something and get kicked out when I paid to play.

I go to ice pickups and stick and pucks all the time. Pickups tend to be cool, but you get the younger 17 year olds who are pretty good, but think they are better then everyone else and take exception to everything.

From my experiences, the guys who are not the best players, tend to have the best attitudes. And I love scrimmaging during stick and pucks with those guys. Its fun.

Ruhnie

Feb 1, 2007
Dallas
I guess it brings up, is it okay to verbally be an ******* if you play it clean on the ice? Like I said I find the crap he says absolutely hilarious, but I also have tough skin and never let words get to me ever, so I enjoy it.

Absolutely. If you can draw a penalty, and take the abuse that will come your way, I think it's totally worth it.

Ruhnie

Feb 1, 2007
Dallas
For the most part, I agree with the sentiment here about how outrageous some adult leagues can get. The leagues down where I live can get chippy at times, but there are rarely any fights. Alot of stuff gets called by the refs as a fight, and they get kicked out, but it's really just punching someone in the helmet with your glove, or a wrestling match on the ice.

I do see a lot of cheap stuff, and the kind that's with the intent to injure is not cool. I'm all for an extra tap here and there to try and draw a penalty, but the running from behind or into the boards is Pejorative Slured. I had a teammate get boarded because we were winning pretty big and they had some hotheads. Turned out he separated his shoulder and couldn't play for about 18 months or so, it really sucked. His brother, also my teammate, railed that guy in the next game we played him and sent him off for a few games with some kind of injury. Once that **** starts, it just continues to escalate, and most leagues do nothing to prevent it. I also agree with taking legal action in those cases.

The worst thing I've ever done is stick up for my teammate, who also happens to be my wife. Playing in an introductory league w/ her while she learns how to play, I take it really easy and sandbag from D, just having fun and watching her. One game, some f-tard didn't like the fact that I can stay on my skates better than him. We were both playing the puck, and he bumped into me and fell down. He immediately got up and cross checked the first player he saw, which was my wife. Seeing her go down in a lump in pain set me off. I decked the guy and put him in a headlock, nothing like a real fight or anything. We both got tossed and suspended for 2 games.

Outside of that I usually look the other way when cheap stuff happens, or give it back better than I get it, but never w/ the intent to injure. I'm one of those guys that plays to win, but I don't think it's fair to say that means I don't also play for fun. Winning is ALWAYS better than losing, but not at the expense of someone's health.

gmen81

Sep 15, 2006
Players like that in all leagues. Just have to hope they don't seriously injure someone. They will get what is coming to them though

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
For the most part, I agree with the sentiment here about how outrageous some adult leagues can get. The leagues down where I live can get chippy at times, but there are rarely any fights. Alot of stuff gets called by the refs as a fight, and they get kicked out, but it's really just punching someone in the helmet with your glove, or a wrestling match on the ice.

I do see a lot of cheap stuff, and the kind that's with the intent to injure is not cool. I'm all for an extra tap here and there to try and draw a penalty, but the running from behind or into the boards is Pejorative Slured. I had a teammate get boarded because we were winning pretty big and they had some hotheads. Turned out he separated his shoulder and couldn't play for about 18 months or so, it really sucked. His brother, also my teammate, railed that guy in the next game we played him and sent him off for a few games with some kind of injury. Once that **** starts, it just continues to escalate, and most leagues do nothing to prevent it. I also agree with taking legal action in those cases.

The worst thing I've ever done is stick up for my teammate, who also happens to be my wife. Playing in an introductory league w/ her while she learns how to play, I take it really easy and sandbag from D, just having fun and watching her. One game, some f-tard didn't like the fact that I can stay on my skates better than him. We were both playing the puck, and he bumped into me and fell down. He immediately got up and cross checked the first player he saw, which was my wife. Seeing her go down in a lump in pain set me off. I decked the guy and put him in a headlock, nothing like a real fight or anything. We both got tossed and suspended for 2 games.

Outside of that I usually look the other way when cheap stuff happens, or give it back better than I get it, but never w/ the intent to injure. I'm one of those guys that plays to win, but I don't think it's fair to say that means I don't also play for fun. Winning is ALWAYS better than losing, but not at the expense of someone's health.

To be fair, this is why I'm glad my girlfriend doesn't play sports. But if I were in the same situation, I would have done the same exact thing.

Ruhnie

Feb 1, 2007
Dallas
To be fair, this is why I'm glad my girlfriend doesn't play sports. But if I were in the same situation, I would have done the same exact thing.

Heh, my feelings on it are mixed at times, but mostly it's been a really positive experience. I do worry about her every once in awhile, especially as she has begun playing in a regular D-League with mostly men, because there are some guys who have issues and think women shouldn't be playing. Those guys are always looking to take cheap shots on chicks because they're not man enough to do anything to other guys. I'm really impressed that she's stuck with it, as she used to come back to the bench screaming and depressed that she was getting picked on. I told her that she's either going to have to suck it up and find a way to enjoy the game, or quit because the refs aren't going to be able to help her out every single time.

But she's been toughing it out and having alot of fun, even joined a local women's league, that surprisingly has bigger a-holes than the men's league. Sharing a hobby like this with her makes it easy to spend time together, as I've even got her watching NHL games with me on a semi-regular basis :yo:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I've played in men's leagues for 20 years and seen my fair share. I have not played any other sports in organized leagues as an adult but I would imagine somewhere there is a 40 year old jackass sliding hard in to second during a softball game.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
I've been on the receiving and giving end of this crap. I admit that I cross check guys to move them from in front of my goalie (always where there is padding. At least that's what I'm aiming for.). Then the last game, I got elbowed in the face, full steam a head, in the corner.

The worst part is the non-calls on the obvious checks. I swear the refs in the league I'm in, come just to get a pay check. There is no regard for players safety. (This, even after I warned that refs that they call the checks, or we'll take care of the other team ourselves.) Instead they call a boarder-line hooking or interfence penalty. Meatheads.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Gotta agree with the guy who said to just play private games. You have one guy who runs things, and guys who bring friends out are accountable for their friends' behaviour. If he starts in with any of this crap, not only does he not come back, neither do you. I'm not worried about any of this stuff that you guys have talked about in any of my skates. While once in a while a guy will horse around with one of his buddies, and make a move, everyone is also laughing about it. They all realize the NHL scouts aren't coming by.

While I agree about the pressing charges, be careful about assuming you have witnesses. My buddy once had a guy sucker punch him because he didn't like the fact he stick checked him and took the puck. He was so pissed he wouldn't shake hands because he knew he would start something with the guy if he saw him. The guy who punched skated after him, yelling at him about it just being hockey, etc. All the guys in the locker room were talking about how he got jobbed. My buddy complained to the league people. Myself and another guy backed him up when the league investigated, and that was it. Although the ironic thing was, while they claimed nothing happened, my buddy started it and had it coming, no problem, they suspended the other guy for a game, and my buddy got nothing. unless they are guys you know well, I would not count on guys on your team even supporting you.

One last point, regarding the guy who sought out the other guy in the parking lot after the game. If the stuff that happened on the ice were hockey related, then yes, keep it on the ice. But you have aguy who took advantage of the fact the other guy was not good on his skates. But he didn't do it to take the puck away from him every time and score 30 goals in the game, he started fights. he picked on a guy so he could have a fight on his terms and know he could win. He got his own medecine. If he had picked on a good hockey player who cold put up a fight, then I might agree the parking thing was going overboard, but in this case, the guy was justified. What did he do on the ice to deserve getting into a fight under those circumstances?

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
I've been on the receiving and giving end of this crap. I admit that I cross check guys to move them from in front of my goalie (always where there is padding. At least that's what I'm aiming for.). Then the last game, I got elbowed in the face, full steam a head, in the corner.

The worst part is the non-calls on the obvious checks. I swear the refs in the league I'm in, come just to get a pay check. There is no regard for players safety. (This, even after I warned that refs that they call the checks, or we'll take care of the other team ourselves.) Instead they call a boarder-line hooking or interfence penalty. Meatheads.

First off, what kind of cross checks in front of the net? If you're just poking the player, I don't call that a cross check, I call that defending the area in front of your goalie and preventing a screen.

And I know what you mean in the 2nd paragraph, I've seen that a lot too, sometimes its ok, in roller I knew the refs and they would make good calls, and there's less penalties, but I've seen it in the ice leagues too where they really aren't paying attention.

mazzinov

Jan 8, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Just last year, I got slashed in the face just below the nose. It wasn't intentional. But we won 5-2, and just scored an empty netter right at the buzzer. We didn't hot dog, or anything. But as we were skating back to our bench, when one of their players decides to try and check one of our player. Well he bounces off, and his stick comes up and catches full swing just under the nose. I blacked out, lost my hearing, and also got a pretty nasty gash under my nose.

League didn't do anything about it, there wasn't even a penalty on the play. I know it wasn't intentional, but that is beside the point. Guy never apologized or anything. Too bad we didn't play them again...

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
First off, what kind of cross checks in front of the net? If you're just poking the player, I don't call that a cross check, I call that defending the area in front of your goalie and preventing a screen.

And I know what you mean in the 2nd paragraph, I've seen that a lot too, sometimes its ok, in roller I knew the refs and they would make good calls, and there's less penalties, but I've seen it in the ice leagues too where they really aren't paying attention.

The cross check that I dish out is a soft shot on the top of the pants. Pretty much just setting the stick on the guy so I can push him around a little bit so my goalie gets a clear look at the shooter. Nothing that would actually hurt the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad