Sigh! Another Season Down The Drain

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Baring a miracle, it will be another season without playoff hockey - they are too far behind. The only thing to look forward to now is a chance at winning the draft lottery.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
To be fair DJ wasn't fooling too many people.

He just fooled Dorion and is now fooling Andlauer+sidekick.

If you ask me, he is an average con artist at best.

Reactions: Alex1234

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
To be fair DJ wasn't fooling too many people.

He just fooled Dorion and is now fooling Andlauer+sidekick.

If you ask me, he is an average con artist at best.
He’s not a con artists, and no one is fooling or fooled.

People are weirdly taking things out on DJ who is trying to do his job, but doesn’t seem to be effective anymore. He’s a lame duck coach now who is just waiting to be fired.

Everyone is waiting.

It’s the guys with the power to fire him that deserve your anger in my opinion.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
It sucks - 7 straight years out of the playoffs is completely unacceptable.

But I think the team breaks out for 100+ points next year. A new GM will be brought on, and the coach he eventually brings in won't be a bargain bin discount hire. Then he'll trade at least two of Batherson, Norris, and Chabot and scare the rest of the core into finding our end of the ice from time to time.

Reactions: Dionysus

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
It sucks - 7 straight years out of the playoffs is completely unacceptable.

But I think the team breaks out for 100+ points next year. A new GM will be brought on, and the coach he eventually brings in won't be a bargain bin discount hire. Then he'll trade at least two of Batherson, Norris, and Chabot and scare the rest of the core into finding our end of the ice from time to time.

This team has been looking like they should breakout for almost a year. I still think they will. Need some guys to step up and an injection of depth.

Cap rising and $5 million of dead cap space off the books should allow for some smart depth additions.

Reactions: albator71

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
And its not 7 years out of the playoffs for Andlauer and Staios. They are a couple of months in, looking at Dorions team, and developing long term plans. Which might be the wiser action

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I know Andlaur probably wants to wait until he hires a gm so that the new gm can pick a coach himself, but Dj needs to go before he permanently damages this team forever.

Reactions: Bileur

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Definitely time to fire the coach. Should have been done before the season.

Yes its on the players. It's not totally DJs fault. But a fresh voice has been needed for a long time.

The season isn't over yet. If the team can string a 5 game winning streak together they're back in it. I don't think its likely, but I'll keep watching hoping for the best.

Jaques as interim head coach, bring in a new GM/Coach in the offseason. Lets go

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Definitely time to fire the coach. Should have been done before the season.

Yes its on the players. It's not totally DJs fault. But a fresh voice has been needed for a long time.

The season isn't over yet. If the team can string a 5 game winning streak together they're back in it. I don't think its likely, but I'll keep watching hoping for the best.

Jaques as interim head coach, bring in a new GM/Coach in the offseason. Lets go

I think this group needs a new voice as well. Will allow management to evaluate the players on a fresh slate. See who learns and adapts quickly.

That's the beauty of sports. Team looks down and out, but they could get on a roll and be right back in it. I'll be watching as well when they turn it around, whatever year that is.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Don't worry guys, our rookie POHO/interim GM is evaluating.

Side note, this whole "we're preaching patience" and "we want to be best in class" is really starting to stink like "five years of unparalleled success".

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Side note, this whole "we're preaching patience" and "we want to be best in class" is really starting to stink like "five years of unparalleled success".

I think that's a little harsh.

Andlauer isn't stupid. Neither is Staios.

Perhaps they're being a little more patient than we'd like but they clearly see what's going on, which is why they brought in Martin. If they didn't care then that wouldn't have happened.

While I think it was a good move I don't think it's enough. Fortunately there's no chance this drags out for the full year. I can't see how it does. I've seen Andlauer's scowl late in third periods too. He doesn't like losing.

In the meantime this is unfortunately what a stable front office looks like (even if the team is a dumpster fire). There are no twitter rants, no using Garrioch as a media mouthpiece to vent hot takes, no more revolving door of employees.

Just radio silence until a move needs to be made, like most healthy organizations. It will take some getting used to.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022

People are weirdly taking things out on DJ who is trying to do his job, but doesn’t seem to be effective anymore. He’s a lame duck coach now who is just waiting to be fired.

Everyone is waiting.

Ya, I agree. I am angry with Staios and Andlauer. They definitely did their homework on the poor starts over the last few years.

I just thought Staios+Andlauer were smart enough to not let a bad start ruin the year again..

DJ is a nice guy, not a con artist. But nice guys might finish last.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Tuna99

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
giphy[1].gif

• Haha
Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
But we all know that they will start winning just enough game for us to have the 10th overall pick. Those chumps can't do nothing right!!
Exactly. Wins start happening when there is no pressure to do so. Hence they are meaningless.

Heck they better tank since we are already without a 1st round draft pick in the future.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Well, lets not go that far. Melnyk was an unparalleled disaster.

It is getting a bit absurd and DJ needs to be put out of his misery, but Andlauer and Staios probably are objectively coming to the conclusion that the team Dorion put together just isn't very good and wasn't on track for "unparalleled success" like was portrayed for so long.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Well, lets not go that far. Melnyk was an unparalleled disaster.

It is getting a bit absurd and DJ needs to be put out of his misery, but Andlauer and Staios probably are objectively coming to the conclusion that the team Dorion put together just isn't very good and wasn't on track for "unparalleled success" like was portrayed for so long.
So if the team isn't very good then wouldn't that mean they're not underachieving to the extent the fans believe they are? So if we're not underachieving why would the coaching be the problem?

I'm just not buying it anymore. I'm not buying the patience message, I'm not buying the "best in class" message, I'm not buying any of the bullshit these guys are peddling until something starts to change. The only move they've made was because their hand was forced. It would probably still be status quo right now if not for the Dadonov fiasco. Nothing is happening.

New building not happening for another 5-6 years, minimum. We're watching them pile drive an entire season into oblivion through inaction. There's not one good reason anyone can think of to not have made a coaching change 15 games ago. It's an interim head coach.
Interim
adjective
  1. in or for the intervening period; provisional or temporary.
It's beyond reason, regardless of what the longterm plans are.

Reactions: bicboi64

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Everyone is waiting.

Pierre Dorion is the person to blame. It's his roster. His mess.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
So if the team isn't very good then wouldn't that mean they're not underachieving to the extent the fans believe they are? So if we're not underachieving why would the coaching be the problem?

I'm just not buying it anymore. I'm not buying the patience message, I'm not buying the "best in class" message, I'm not buying any of the bullshit these guys are peddling until something starts to change. The only move they've made was because their hand was forced. It would probably still be status quo right now if not for the Dadonov fiasco. Nothing is happening.

New building not happening for another 5-6 years, minimum. We're watching them pile drive an entire season into oblivion through inaction. There's not one good reason anyone can think of to not have made a coaching change 15 games ago. It's an interim head coach.

It's beyond reason, regardless of what the longterm plans are.
As far as the team itself, I think it's a combination. They're underachieving, but not by a lot. They're a flawed team. I still agree the coaching needs to go.

I'm just not prepared to throw vitriol their way yet. They took over basically after the season was set in motion and long term changes couldn't really happen the way they would want. A GM they obviously wouldn't have kept had the sale closed earlier. Same goes for the coach. I absolutely think they need to put DJ out of his misery this year, but I also believe they're looking at this team and not expecting a whole lot more, which is affecting their haste in decisions. I was a believer that good things were coming this year, but the more I watch this team, the more I'm accepting they aren't good enough. Middling to subpar goaltending. Mismatched d core that lacks on the defensive side and in size. Forward group that's obviously missing something in its makeup, and the depth isn't as good as we hoped.

All aboard the fire DJ train either way. Poor guy himself knows he's a dead man walking, I just take issue with Melnyk comparisons. Guy was a frickin looney that had many ways to hurt his team beyond the inaction we're seeing. At least we know the next hires should be real, qualified people this time and not so restricted. It's not a good look, but to compare it to Melnyk already seems unfair.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dionysus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad