News Article: Siegel: Kessel Shoulders Burden Of Blame For Leafs Collapse

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
If Florida offered me 1st overall 2014,Kulikov(14th overall) and Shore(44th overall), goodbye Kessel.
That would be my return.

That's extremely unreasonable though. Obviously I trade Kessel if something extraordinary comes up but that deal is way too skewed for us. I think for the first overall alone we'd potentially have to offer Kessel +.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Terrible defensively but can help win in more ways than just offense? I know Tavares is a solid goaltender but I wouldn't say that's a main strength.
Tavares is perfect, after all.

Nonetheless, that doesn't ignore the fact that Kessel has not been well-complimented despite posting pretty decent defensive numbers. He can backcheck well and I expect that to develop with a more consistent core. For one, Bozak is too much of a floater while JVR just isn't physical enough to carry the line. I would actually start going after Phil's linemates than him.

This, however, doesn't mean that things are grim. Instead, we need to get Holland back with Kessel. He'll enable the top line to increase possession time, help JVR in creating space for Kessel. In addition, Kessel is quite strong himself and could dictate the game if better complemented.

I would try this:

JVR - Holland - Kessel
Lupul - Bozak - Clarkson
Leivo ( or Komarov) - Kadri - Ashton
D'Amigo - Carrick - Bodie

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Rielly
Ranger - Granberg
Percy

Bernier
X

We need to be using our depth. If Holland can finish well and play a decent defensive game, our top line is going to look more productive. In addition, we know that Bozak and Lupul can work as pair, and with someone like Clarkson could be a rather potent scoring threat. That will enable us to play Kadri in a depth scoring role and giving him two-way guys is what will enable to him to play better. Leo can finish ( as could Leivo), but I could see Kadri potting 30 goals and still being a very proficient playmaker as well.

This, by the way, assumes that we're making no big trades. I actually think it makes more sense to develop around a Holland / Kadri middle, trade Bozak/ Lupul for a two-way forward like Andrew Ladd. Doing that give us two top lines and we can sign someone like David Legwand to man the #3C spot. Give him Komarov and Ashton, and we'd have a pretty effective and hard-working third line.

Nevertheless, whatever route we take would give us a line up that is significantly better than what we used last season. I think with a possession-friendly coach, we'd perform much better. Seeing that we did perform quite well for most of the season, I could see us being rather competitive soon.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
That's extremely unreasonable though. Obviously I trade Kessel if something extraordinary comes up but that deal is way too skewed for us. I think for the first overall alone we'd potentially have to offer Kessel +.
For Ekblad? I can't see the top 3 picks exceeding Kessel in terms of performance. Bennet is a heart and soul type, but I can't see him producing Gilmour's numbers. If anything, Florida would have to add significantly to acquire Kessel.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Bennet. A strong two-way forward that will get you 50-60 points consistently. Think a Bergeron with a possibility of posting higher numbers during his prime.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
For Ekblad? I can't see the top 3 picks exceeding Kessel in terms of performance. Bennet is a heart and soul type, but I can't see him producing Gilmour's numbers. If anything, Florida would have to add significantly to acquire Kessel.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Bennet. A strong two-way forward that will get you 50-60 points consistently. Think a Bergeron with a possibility of posting higher numbers during his prime.

I don't think any of them exceed Kessel but the ceiling for a first overall pick generally demand pretty high returns.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Well now you know when I say trade Kessel that's my return. I'm trading Kessel to have the foundation of a core, not because it's Wednesday and it might be fun.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Well now you know when I say trade Kessel that's my return. I'm trading Kessel to have the foundation of a core, not because it's Wednesday and it might be fun.

Regardless if I agree that Kessel should be traded or not, we can finally all see how ridiculous the trade for him actually was... he is miles better today than when we acquired him, yet, we gave 2 firsts and a second for him in 2 stronger drafts than this year.. and people say he isn;t even worth one first now.. Sounds to me like he has diminishing return from here on out.. Sell high, today is the most we will ever get for him.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Regardless if I agree that Kessel should be traded or not, we can finally all see how ridiculous the trade for him actually was... he is miles better today than when we acquired him, yet, we gave 2 firsts and a second for him in 2 stronger drafts than this year.. and people say he isn;t even worth one first now.. Sounds to me like he has diminishing return from here on out.. Sell high, today is the most we will ever get for him.

The stars need to align, cap and team need must be there. It's all about timing. It's a good time for Florida to acquire this piece when they have a core in place. Ours was the wrong time. I believe too that we will never get more for Kessel than we will today. I doubt they even ask though.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
You're not really building a core with Ekblad or even Bennet. To give up Kessel and more just sounds like an utterly moronic rebuild strategy to me. I'd rather try snatching someone like Jones (+) and build from the net out.

Jones > Ekblad

Josi > Ekblad

Ekblad is more of an offensive defenceman than an all-round type. Rielly easily fulfils that need while the centres have Kadri-esque upside. In other words, I just don't see +80 point guys in this draft. Kadri has a 70-point upside if not more especially if better complimented with two-way skilled guys.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You're not really building a core with Ekblad or even Bennet. To give up Kessel and more just sounds like an utterly moronic rebuild strategy to me. I'd rather try snatching someone like Jones (+) and build from the net out.

Jones > Ekblad

Josi > Ekblad

Ekblad is more of an offensive defenceman than an all-round type. Rielly easily fulfils that need while the centres have Kadri-esque upside. In other words, I just don't see +80 point guys in this draft. Kadri has a 70-point upside if not more especially if better complimented with two-way skilled guys.

How do we know Seth Jones is an option in trade?

We know if we trade for #1 then Ekblad is a viable option.

Kyle Doobas*

In terms of relative corsi, Phil was fine and it's not like his GA On/ 60 was disastrous. Much of his performance has a LOT to do with the coaching style. Look at it this way. Even with low OZone starts, his GA On/ 60 was less than John Tavares and around the same as Duchene or Marleau.
Oh, I agree with you. Kessel would probably be an even more useful player than he is if we were a better possession team (well, and just acquired/developed better players) and could use him in more of a Patrick Kane-type role.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

We shouldn't trade Kessel for the sake of trading him. I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat if the right deal came along: but I've got to agree with the_Chosen_One that Ekbald as a centre piece isn't all that enticing.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I disagree.

He just had one of those cold streaks, at the time where we needed his production.
When he apologized, I thought he had the least to be apologetic about.

18 players (not Gardiner) were at fault, also the coaching staff and systems.

Shouldn't anyone be available for the right price?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It's pure speculation on my side. However, Nashville does need an elite scorer like Kessel so it's a possibility.

It would be a very questionable trade. What Ekblad offers isn't much different from what we get from Gardiner or Rielly. I could see Rielly out-producing him points-wise as well. Don't get me wrong, Aaron is promising, but not for Kessel+.

Having said that, we need to start looking for our own Chelios. Top pairing shut down-capable D with good offensive upside. The last time we had someone like that was when Robert Svehla was here for a season. It's true that Phaneuf is doing a commendable job, but he may be past his prime when we compete for the cup.

More importantly, there are defenceman like Brandon Gormley, Erik Gudbranson, who are much more defensive mature. That was part of their resume prior to them being drafted and they'll have to be adding for Kessel. If we're going to be attempting to rebuild, do it the right way and acquire effective pieces.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I disagree.

He just had one of those cold streaks, at the time where we needed his production.
When he apologized, I thought he had the least to be apologetic about.

18 players (not Gardiner) were at fault, also the coaching staff and systems.

Shouldn't anyone be available for the right price?

I think Caryle's awful system is the main reason for his decline - he underplayed the fourth line so much (ie only 4 minutes a night, when teams like Chicago play theirs over 10minutes) the first line was just worn out by the end of the season. The Olympics certainly exacerbated Phil and JVRs exhaustion though.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think Caryle's awful system is the main reason for his decline - he underplayed the fourth line so much (ie only 4 minutes a night, when teams like Chicago play theirs over 10minutes) the first line was just worn out by the end of the season. The Olympics certainly exacerbated Phil and JVRs exhaustion though.
I'd argue that JVR and Kessel started slowing down towards the end of their Olympics run...

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Kessel for Florida's next 2 #1s.. same trade we made for him.. therefore the trade will be seguin/hamilton for ekblad/chance at mcdavid.. Florida will probably think they will be a playoff team with Kessel so why not. But we know if we give them Kessel then they'll be 30th.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Kessel for Florida's next 2 #1s.. same trade we made for him.. therefore the trade will be seguin/hamilton for ekblad/chance at mcdavid.. Florida will probably think they will be a playoff team with Kessel so why not. But we know if we give them Kessel then they'll be 30th.
Still iffy. I'd rather have a bite at Gudbranson. He's going to be the guy that'll keep us alive in game 7 final round 3OT. Offence is great, but you'll get plenty of that from Gardiner and Reilly, but we really lack that Tim Horton-class defender. Finn and Percy will be good mid-pairing guys with Granberg being a more physical Gunnarsson. I don't see anyone in our system offering us that.

Gudbranson - Rielly ( Future elite top pairing)

Gunnarsson - Gardiner ( defensive PMD/ puck rushing PMD)

Ranger - Granberg

Percy

Looks like something that could contend.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
If Kessel was a more complete player and killed penalties as well as played the PP would you count those PK goals against Phil as well when he was on the ice 4v5?.

Its another element of the game and equation also the PK.

Phil Kessel: 80GP 37G 43A 80PTS -2. Team GF 104. Team PPGF 28. Team GA 78. Team PPGA0.

26 goal difference. The two players on the ice for the most PPGA this season were Carl Gunnarsson (29) and Phaneuf (31) so he'd have to perform at least bad as they have to truly be a negative player. Fortunately, he doesn't have to play the PK as there are 8 other forwards who have a role to fill on the team.

Leafs lose the specialty team battles also.

50 PP goals for - 58 PP goals against = - 8 differential on the season.

So now how do you really plan on winning the game if your being outscored at all times during a regulation game?

reshuffle the bottom six players :laugh:

Its true.

MrLegend28*

trade top 10 scorers for maybe a good player, solid GM logic!!!

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kessel's short tenure in toronto has been mediocore at best. Sure he's become a PPG 30 goal scorer but he's still a one dimensional sniper with no defensive game, no physicality and no instinct to go into the dirty areas or take a hit to make a play.

The best thing Kessel could do for the leafs next season is learn to play a little defense and become a plus player. Sometimes preventing goals is just as important as scoring them.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Kessel's short tenure in toronto has been mediocore at best. Sure he's become a PPG 30 goal scorer but he's still a one dimensional sniper with no defensive game, no physicality and no instinct to go into the dirty areas or take a hit to make a play.

The best thing Kessel could do for the leafs next season is learn to play a little defense and become a plus player. Sometimes preventing goals is just as important as scoring them.

I dont really agree that he is a one dimensional sniper, I do agree about his defensive shortcomings but this is acceptable.

Kessel is a great playmaker, he can also take over and start a rush. This is something few leafs seem to do anymore, to be honest only Rielly and Gardiner come to mind. Kadri sometimes when he has beastmode activated, JVR is working more down low.

MrLegend28*

whats with people and "physical" :laugh: ya lets have our 30 goal scorer get roughed up in the corner so he gets injured and misses a couple games, thats logical coming from the fans eating potato chips at home :biglaugh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Speaking of drafting, are you going to be doing prospect writeups and rankings again like you used to years ago?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad