News Article: Siegel: Kessel Shoulders Burden Of Blame For Leafs Collapse

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=448778

"Obviously, I'm disappointed – disappointed for Leafs Nation," said Phil Kessel, thick red stubble dotting his face after the team's 10th loss in the past 12 games. "Obviously it's not good enough. I haven't been good enough for the last 15 games. I need to be better."

"After that we never got our groove back," Kessel said. "The last 15 games we didn't get it done and that's why I'm really disappointed. We just need to be better. Obviously I'm not happy the way this has ended here. I don't think anyone is."

"Obviously I'm really disappointed and I feel like I've let a lot of people down," he said with some emotion.

"(The fans) expect a lot from us. They love us. We need to be better these last 15 games. I think everyone's pretty disappointed."

Personally I believe Kessel. I mean we have all see him get frustrated on the bench. He is not the most prolific speaker but unlike Dion when on the ice Kessel does show some emotion.

That being said Kessel is taking a bullet for his team by saying he needs to be better. Personally I could not ask any more out of him.

Thoughts?

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Good on him. He could have just thought to himself "I'm 5th overall in goals and 6th in points...I've done my part." and just quietly let everyone else take the heat. I think it goes to show the kind of drive that he actually has (something that he unfairly gets criticized for lacking).

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
It's unfortunate the first line went cold when it did, but considering the season they all have had it's not their fault. Goes to show how mediocre this team is without them filling the net.

I respect Kessel for not just saying "we're disappointed", he seemed very genuine with his comments.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
More of a leader than Phaneuf, but thats not saying much.

If he truly means what he says, then after he gets the appropriate amount of rest in the offseason, he starts working his ass off in the gym and gets better over the summer.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
It's unfortunate the first line went cold when it did, but considering the season they all have had it's not their fault. Goes to show how mediocre this team is without them filling the net.

I respect Kessel for not just saying "we're disappointed", he seemed very genuine with his comments.

our top line treaded water all year every goal they scored 5on5 they gave one up you can't win like that. they weren't good enough. it's great that kessel's says something like this but you can talk the talk lets see him back it up next year and be more commited to Defense and Physical play.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Maybe this is a sign of Kessel trying to mold himself into a leader role. Just maybe..
You know, because currently we don't have one. :sarcasm:

Well if he gets good at making excuses he could become one.

Props to Kessel for blaming him self. He have looked like one of the few who really care lately.

He do however need to bring a better overall game to the ice if we are to be successful. He should have a look at how the skill players on Detroit plays and learn from them. Z or Dats dont knock people on their ***** all the time, if ever, but they play hard, never quit on the puck and skate just as hard to their own zone with out the puck as they skate to the offensive zone when they have the puck.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I normally don't care much for what players say to the media, but the fact that Kessel of all people is saying the right things while captain Phaneuf seems out to lunch should be concerning.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
At least he gives a ****. Has actual emotions on the ice, and gets mad when things don't go well.

Shows more character than 95% of the team.

Ace88*

When the checking gets tighter, he needs to learn to battle through it and produce.

see: playoffs, any time phil's been in them

he does battle through it. this is a garbage myth that ignorant people bandy about.

I think Kessel's more of a leader than Dion. He told Dion to shut up on the ice in front of 20,000 people and millions more watching on TV.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kessel is much more of a leader than Dion could ever hope to be.

He was the one who came out when Dion refused to speak to the media, he even defended Dion to the media as a good team mate does.

He never left the ice when his team mate was laying there waiting for a stretcher. His production this year is all on himself as he has carried that line again. Is he a little soft...yes, but with a big strong center that would be not an issue.

He has played hurt the last few games and was one of a handful that looked like they wanted to win. In the playoffs last year he was the best player on the ice for either team and it was then that my opinion of him changed.

For a player to come out and take the heat and blame for his team is great, but when a player who dislikes talking to the media to come out and do this makes it at least for me, more meaningful.

Dion can say anything he wants but his actions on the ice should have removed all doubt as to his value to this team....it is nonexistent and he simply can not be back!

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
What an unfortunate year for Kessel, 4th place in the Olympics and missing the playoffs. He deserved better.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I have little criticism to throw at Kessel. He could fight through things more often, but at the same time he produced this year. Guys has always been in the 30s in goals and just a huge part of the offence.

Glad he's taking some blame though since as one of the guys there that is something for him to take on. One of the guys tied to that failure.

Still one of top offensive guys out there. There may be a good list of guys I want gone, but he's not one of them.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He's basically one of the three players who have consistently showed up every single night. Yet he is taking all the blame for this collapse, speaks a lot about his character, especially how he is known as a a man that lacks leadership/drive. I'm really glad to have somebody like Phil on this team, and the blame-finger should be pointing in a different direction than towards him.

Kyle Doobas*

Kessel and Bernier were the primary reasons we were in a playoff position to begin with

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Good on him for saying the right things.

In the end he's got 20 points more then anyone else on the team. Can't reasonably expect someone to carry the offence much more then that.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I´m still waiting for when Dion will read from a script how much he cares and how disappointed he is. I hope he does one of those "for you fans", pause, then look up from the paper to look at the "fans", then look down continue reading. Ppl can say what they want about how media shy Kessel is, he handle the media 10 times better then Dion does who most likely take private lessons at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad