Sid's Goal Slump

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Send that article to Sid immediately. Kane makes a great point with being in line w/ the faceoff dot. That opens up wide and allows the inside to be worked, too. If you take it down the boards like Sid, defenders can cut you off so you almost have to pull up or be hit.

That was actually a solid look into how adjusting, even for stars, is key. And it shows you that defenses all around the league WANT Sid to pause, wait, and pass to Scuderi. :laugh:

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
Its funny while we are talking so much about Sid slumping, not scoring goals and same time Geno has only 2 goals more..:laugh:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Its funny while we are talking so much about Sid slumping, not scoring goals and same time Geno has only 2 goals more..:laugh:
It´s not that funny. They are not being held to the same standards here for 4 years (as long as I am here), maybe longer. Standards for them are not even close, I get that Sid is the captain etc, but the difference between them is not that gross (two best players in the world). Sid is criticized to death around here these times, while Geno gets a pass for the games that Sid would be criticized for.

Even in recent GDTs and PGTs, Sid is criticized like crazy and he has 4 goals in last 4 games while Geno has one point(goal) in those last 4 games..

Also, Sid has 9 goals, 12 assists in his last 19. Geno has 6 goals, 9 assists during that span.

Now everybody will come and say that Geno is still playing well (I´m not saying he isn´t!) but in Sid´s case, everybody would just overlook that and just critize him for the lack of production.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
0 points against the Hawks. He's finished.

Really though still no reason he can't win the trophy. He's only a few points back and plenty of time left. Nobody seems to want to grab a hold of the lead and take off with it.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
It´s not that funny. They are not being held to the same standards here for 4 years (as long as I am here), maybe longer. Standards for them are not even close, I get that Sid is the captain etc, but the difference between them is not that gross (two best players in the world). Sid is criticized to death around here these times, while Geno gets a pass for the games that Sid would be criticized for.

Even in recent GDTs and PGTs, Sid is criticized like crazy and he has 4 goals in last 4 games while Geno has one point(goal) in those last 4 games..

Also, Sid has 9 goals, 12 assists in his last 19. Geno has 6 goals, 9 assists during that span.

Now everybody will come and say that Geno is still playing well (I´m not saying he isn´t!) but in Sid´s case, everybody would just overlook that and just critize him for the lack of production.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
sid is poised for another extremely disappointing playoffs. its pretty clear that its coming, you can see if from a mile away. with his terrible decision making and unwillingness to drive to the net already limiting his point totals in the regular, no one should be surprised when he is shut down in a playoff series when the games get more defensive. i expect him to get shut down once again by a fairly pedestrian player like he did with dubinsky.

for those of us that care about crosby's legacy, this is another troubling aspect of crosby's career. he started out his career as a playoff beast, and it took herculean efforts by a great sens team or a HOF red wings lineup to really shut him down. but since his tremendous start, he's been quite the playoff disappointment.

with sid delivering his worst regular season to date, we should expect the trend of underwhelming playoffs to continue.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
TTEOT... you're always all ponies and rainbows. You really should be more pessimistic :sarcasm:

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
sid is poised for another extremely disappointing playoffs. its pretty clear that its coming, you can see if from a mile away. with his terrible decision making and unwillingness to drive to the net already limiting his point totals in the regular, no one should be surprised when he is shut down in a playoff series when the games get more defensive. i expect him to get shut down once again by a fairly pedestrian player like he did with dubinsky.

for those of us that care about crosby's legacy, this is another troubling aspect of crosby's career. he started out his career as a playoff beast, and it took herculean efforts by a great sens team or a HOF red wings lineup to really shut him down. but since his tremendous start, he's been quite the playoff disappointment.

with sid delivering his worst regular season to date, we should expect the trend of underwhelming playoffs to continue.

Outside of disagreeing that it's the concussion finally effecting his abilities, you're not wrong, and it's going to be funny watching the same people waving away these valid observations as overly negative, explode in the post season threads after the inevitable first or second round exit and lackluster performance by Crosby, like they for whatever reason couldn't see it coming.

As was said he doesn't drive the net, he willingly plays the perimeter or defers to trailing defensemen after his patented wall entry pull up, etc. None of this is conducive to point production at the rate he's used to or needed for. Whether it's his wrist, latent concussion effects or a sudden unexplainable decline in ability, there is no observable reason outside of him healing from an injury (that everyone says he doesn't have) to expect him to suddenly regain his first 10 games form out of the blue in time for a late season push.

Keeping the blinders on and deflecting any criticism as the rants of a pessimist is only setting yourself up for pointless disappointment you should've seen coming.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I've been alarmed with Crosbys invisibility.

Recall back in 07/08/09/10/13/14 reg season.
He was a FORCE to be reckoned with consistently.

I don't see it anymore. I see a good player, but not an explosive dominant player, and I don't get why.
It cannot be the concussion because in 12-14 he was awesome.

I haven't seen that burst of speed, that playmaking ability, and I just don't how come....

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I've been alarmed with Crosbys invisibility.

Recall back in 07/08/09/10/13/14 reg season.
He was a FORCE to be reckoned with consistently.

I don't see it anymore. I see a good player, but not an explosive dominant player, and I don't get why.
It cannot be the concussion because in 12-14 he was awesome.

I haven't seen that burst of speed, that playmaking ability, and I just don't how come....
It's possible he's starting to decline. Not exactly unheard of to start losing offensive dominance around 27 or 28. On average forwards peak offensively around 23-24. Crosby is still a great player, but for those of us that are so used to seeing him dominate night in night out, seeing him look so pedestrian is a bit sad. I'd like to see him change his game a la Yzerman to become a two way force if indeed he isn't capable of dominating offensively the way he used to.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This thread is game-to-game chest thumping match at this point. You don't win an argument game-to-game.

Locked. Because it's worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad