Sid's Goal Slump

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
So far Crosby has 2 goals in his last 20 games, which is historically one of the worst slumps of his career.

To put that in perspective, he scored 2 goals on the opening night.. so it took him 20 games to equal the goal output of 1 game.

What do you think the issue is here? I think it's two pronged: (1) horrible linemates and injuries to the top-6 and (2) an unwillingness to shoot the puck

It's so frustrating to see Sid pass up so many opportunities to get the puck on net. He's got a great shot and he needs to use it more.

edit: if you add in last year's playoffs.. Sid has 10 goals in the past 41 games, or a 20 goal per year pace.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Much needed thread :laugh: There´s the same thread ongoing on the mainboard, too.

He was playing some games with mumps and Nick Spaling is frequently on the 1st line. Being healthy and having Kunitz instead of Spaling should help him and I think he will be fine. Last nights game was a step in the right direction. He needs to shoot more, though. No one is gonna help him out of that, he needs to do it alone and starting to shoot is how you do it.

If Till the End of Time finds this thread though..........

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Linemates, being sick for god only knows how long and he's snakebit. Reverse jinx thread now in effect.

TtEoT = He's in decline and getting old, [something odd].

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It seems like the worse Crosby's linemates are, the more he defers. Which seems totally ass backwards.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Linemates, being sick for god only knows how long and he's snakebit. Reverse jinx thread now in effect.

TtEoT = He's in decline and getting old, [something odd].

Nah, he usually invokes Alzheimers or concussion-related cognitive decline or whatever.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
It seems like the worse Crosby's linemates are, the more he defers. Which seems totally ass backwards.
Well it sorta makes sense.

If you're an opposing coach and you see Sid take the ice with Spaling/Hornqvist... it's pretty simple to defend against. Just swarm Crosby and watch the other 2 guys flub his passes. Rinse and repeat.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Doesn't matter one bit to me. The start of my concern will be if he gooses it up in the postseason again. That would be the time where I begin to worry.

Sid is going to figure it out. I have a faith.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Just throwing this out there... but he declined to go with surgery on his wrist.

I don't know if I believe that has anything to do with anything. But, I mean... this team. This medical staff.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Doesn't matter one bit to me. The start of my concern will be if he gooses it up in the postseason again. That would be the time where I begin to worry.

20 goals per year pace in his past 41 games is extremely disconcerting to me. This is a pretty long slump - I'd say 41 games is a decent sample size.

With the lack of depth we have on this team, I really don't know where the goals come from unless Sid starts contributing more offensively. We no longer have a guy who is a lock for 40 goals on the wing either (Neal).. or 30 for that matter (Jussi).

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
20 goals per year pace in his past 41 games is extremely disconcerting to me. This is a pretty long slump - I'd say 41 games is a decent sample size.

With the lack of depth we have on this team, I really don't know where the goals come from unless Sid starts contributing more offensively. We no longer have a guy who is a lock for 40 goals on the wing either (Neal).. or 30 for that matter (Jussi).
Jussi is a lock for 30? Please don´t bring his name here. As Cole has said, playoffs is all that matters for Sid AND FOR THIS TEAM. I don´t care about the individual trophies anymore. Team is winning now, Fleury is playing great and overall picture doesn´t look bad. That´s all that matters.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Just throwing this out there... but he declined to go with surgery on his wrist.

I don't know if I believe that has anything to do with anything. But, I mean... this team. This medical staff.

Not hard believe. If the wrist bothers him it could surely impact his snap shot. I tore something in my wrist/thumb area and it was an on and off nuisance for a long time.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Jussi is a lock for 30? Please don´t bring his name here. As Cole has said, playoffs is all that matters for Sid AND FOR THIS TEAM. I don´t care about the individual trophies anymore. Team is winning now, Fleury is playing great and overall picture doesn´t look bad. That´s all that matters.

When have we never *NOT* won in the regular season?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
he was scoring to start the year with kch and when the powerplay was working

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Lack of depth? The last time we had three wingers on this team that scored 30g each was 1996. This year we have PH, Comeau and Kunitz all on pace to hit about 30. Sid will get his 30, and Geno is on pace for over 40. And we still have Sutter and Letang on pace for 15-20. Add in guys like Downie, Spaling and Klink that should pot 10 or so each, and we're in fine shape.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
he's just not as good as he was pre-concussions. still the best player in the league, though.

pretty clear to me he is on the decline though, sadly. i think it's becoming more and more clear that he'll never have that all-time great season i think he was capable of.

combination of injuries and playing for a organization that has never made him and geno a priority have taken their toll.

if connor mcdavid goes to the right franchise and stays healthy, i think he could be the player crosby should have been.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
When have we never *NOT* won in the regular season?
OK, we were also winning under Bylsma (although we have an even better % now than under him). What about that overall team´s play though? I just have a different feel for this team now. It looks much more constructed now. STRUCTURE is the key word there. We have it now, which is very important for the playoffs.

We were winning under Bylsma, but everyone could see that it wasn´t a style of hockey that should transform to the playoffs. This just feels different, if you know what I mean. And that´s all I care about.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I feel the same way you do, pens don't need Sid to score or even play in the regular season to make the playoffs.

The team will be judged by how they do in the playoffs, that's when they need Sid to show up.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's tough to say through all of the injuries and incompetence.

I will say that the league has changed rather significantly since his concussion issues.

Every year it gets a little bit more like ice wrasslin'

Big numbers just aren't a thing, anymore.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
does anyone here actually think crosby is as good or better than he was prior to his concussions problems?
It's a low scoring league compared to when Sid entered the NHL. Injuries and poor linemates certainly haven't helped his production either.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Even though Crosby is a goal-scoring bum, he can still play for my favorite team.

I'm sure on HF he's not worth any of the top ten picks in the 2015 draft by now :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad