Sid's Goal Slump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
christ, now he's six points back. prime sidney crosby is going to lose the scoring title to patrick freaking kane.

he's played 5 less games, he had the worst month of his career, and he's only 6 points behind.

In Oct, he played at a 136 point pace. In Nov he played at a 105 point pace. In Jan he played at a 104 point pace. But in Dec, he played at a 37 point pace. If he plays like he did in Nov or Jan he'd be on pace to lose it by 1 point. He can make that difference up in one good game.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If Sid wants more Cups, he'll be best served focusing on becoming the best 2-way player he can be. One that simplifies his offensive game and bears down defensively/on faceoffs. His idol is Steve Yzerman. Let's hope thats the path he chooses to take.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
If the team stacks up their 1st line against the Crosby line like Babcock did with Nyq-Dats-Zett line and the result is 0-0 at ES after the playoff game, I will take it. Play well defensively, dominate the possession against the top lines of the opposition and I´ll take it. Point here and there is nice but not necessary when that line can do this. Powerplay production on the other hand.. there´s no excuse and needs to be addressed. Sid is not the only problem there, it´s an overall mess.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I truly hope he comes out of his mini-slump.

But its not only points. Sid hasnt looked right since November. He is deferring far too often. He isnt shooting enough. His passing isnt as .. direct as it used to be. He's trying to be far too fancy with the puck.

Im a huge Sid fanboy. He is amazing, we all know this. But his game doesnt look good right now. At least to me.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I truly hope he comes out of his mini-slump.

But its not only points. Sid hasnt looked right since November. He is deferring far too often. He isnt shooting enough. His passing isnt as .. direct as it used to be. He's trying to be far too fancy with the puck.

Im a huge Sid fanboy. He is amazing, we all know this. But his game doesnt look good right now. At least to me.

He's definitely overpassing and being fancy with blind passes and whatnot. But even with this mini slump, he's scoring at 1.12 points per game since the new year. That's the same as Kane is scoring on the season. Sid's normal slumping is as good as the next best scorers best. And the worst slump of his career is balanced out by his good months to still keep him well within reach of winning the scoring title.

So you're not wrong that's he's in a slump, I'm just trying to put in perspective what a Sidney Crosby slump actually means.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
He still has the jump & speed, still dominates the possession. That´s great because even if he doesn´t score there is a good chance that the opposition comes empty as well. The problem is largely in the offensive zone for Crosby. His execution and decision making is just wrong now, he needs to think about that because it´s correctable. He´s smart enough to realize that but he needs to go against his passing instincts to do that.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
He's definitely overpassing and being fancy with blind passes and whatnot. But even with this mini slump, he's scoring at 1.12 points per game since the new year. That's the same as Kane is scoring on the season. Sid's normal slumping is as good as the next best scorers best. And the worst slump of his career is balanced out by his good months to still keep him well within reach of winning the scoring title.

So you're not wrong that's he's in a slump, I'm just trying to put in perspective what a Sidney Crosby slump actually means.

He still has the jump & speed, still dominates the possession. That´s great because even if he doesn´t score there is a good chance that the opposition comes empty as well. The problem is largely in the offensive zone for Crosby. His execution and decision making is just wrong now, he needs to think about that because it´s correctable. He´s smart enough to realize that but he needs to go against his passing instincts to do that.

Oh absolutely. Sid at his worst EVER is still better than 40% of the league.

I guess its tough because we have seen what Sid can do when he's ON. This is what makes is so frustrating. The team is obviously top heavy (Sid and Geno) and depth, while improved, is still an issue. So the team cant afford the two big guns to go into prolonged slumps.

Also, on the points thing .. sure, he is still getting points. I was referring to his overall play. It just seems so ... I dont know .. disjointed. One shift he comes out and he has good jump, a good pass. Then the next, its slowwwww, blind pass to NO ONE at the center line, no forecheck. Its all over the place. Which again, is still better than most but NOT the Sid we know and love.

Honestly, Geno has been the same for many games (but less than Sid). Id say Sid is playing 70/30 - 70% games where he is just "meh" and 30% where he looks good. Geno is probably 60/40. There are still far too many games from these two where one or both of them just look ... off.

Keep in mind .. I dont expect both of them to be 100%, every single game, at the same time. Thats impossible. No player can be 100% on every night. But they both need a bit more consistency in the "not so meh" category.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
christ, now he's six points back. prime sidney crosby is going to lose the scoring title to patrick freaking kane.

First off, what's wrong with Patrick Kane? He's one of the most skilled players in the entire league. In fact, I'm surprised Kane hasn't been in the running for a scoring title earlier than this. Martin St. Louis has won two scoring titles and, IMO, Kane's better than him.

Second, are you even a Penguins fan? The more you post, the more it seems like you're a Caps fan who just posts negative stuff on here.

Crosby's gotta be better. I do think he's avoiding the areas he used to own (front of the net) too often, and playing more of a "perimeter" game than he did prior to his injuries. But man, every time you post it's nothing but ripping on Pens players or the team.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
he's played 5 less games, he had the worst month of his career, and he's only 6 points behind.

In Oct, he played at a 136 point pace. In Nov he played at a 105 point pace. In Jan he played at a 104 point pace. But in Dec, he played at a 37 point pace. If he plays like he did in Nov or Jan he'd be on pace to lose it by 1 point. He can make that difference up in one good game.

People are absolutely ridiculous with this stuff. It's unbelievable how easily people freak out.

Look at the team for christ's sakes. There's more to worry about as a whole. Sid is fine and will be fine. He just needs some luck and confidence.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Oh absolutely. Sid at his worst EVER is still better than 40% of the league.

I guess its tough because we have seen what Sid can do when he's ON. This is what makes is so frustrating. The team is obviously top heavy (Sid and Geno) and depth, while improved, is still an issue. So the team cant afford the two big guns to go into prolonged slumps.

Also, on the points thing .. sure, he is still getting points. I was referring to his overall play. It just seems so ... I dont know .. disjointed. One shift he comes out and he has good jump, a good pass. Then the next, its slowwwww, blind pass to NO ONE at the center line, no forecheck. Its all over the place. Which again, is still better than most but NOT the Sid we know and love.

Honestly, Geno has been the same for many games (but less than Sid). Id say Sid is playing 70/30 - 70% games where he is just "meh" and 30% where he looks good. Geno is probably 60/40. There are still far too many games from these two where one or both of them just look ... off.

Keep in mind .. I dont expect both of them to be 100%, every single game, at the same time. Thats impossible. No player can be 100% on every night. But they both need a bit more consistency in the "not so meh" category.

You mean better than 98% of the league? That's more accurate. There are still only 5 or less players playing better hockey than he is right now, people just freak out if he's not on a 130 point pace all the time.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
The only thing I really don't understand in this whole ordeal... why the hell does the coaching staff keep Sid on the right boards for the PP??? He does nothing there and has done nothing there pretty much all year. He never shoots, and when he doesn't shoot he always either A) tries to force a pass through the box backdoor and it gets picked off, or B) he cupcakes a backhand pass to Letang and by the time it gets to him the defender is in the shooting lane. Crosby is a thinker and right now he is over thinking, if he's not going to simplify the game for himself, then the staff needs to do it for him, stick his a$$ in front of the net on the PP. A lot of people ramble about him playing the point, but how can that be justified when he makes careless passes playing the right boards?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
People are absolutely ridiculous with this stuff. It's unbelievable how easily people freak out.

Look at the team for christ's sakes. There's more to worry about as a whole. Sid is fine and will be fine. He just needs some luck and confidence.

You mean better than 98% of the league? That's more accurate. There are still only 5 or less players playing better hockey than he is right now, people just freak out if he's not on a 130 point pace all the time.

Hmm. Nope, thats not what I mean. If you think that, with his current level of play, there is only 2% of the league playing better, then that's fine. I see it differently.

Sid's CURRENT level of play is not acceptable. He was awful in so many games in December/January. In the one's where he wasnt awful, he was "ok." There has been about 5 games in the last 2.5 months where Sid looked like .. well, Sid.

Whether its luck/confidence or the teams injuries or whatever else, he hasnt been playing well consistently enough the last couple of months, imo.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The only thing I really don't understand in this whole ordeal... why the hell does the coaching staff keep Sid on the right boards for the PP??? He does nothing there and has done nothing there pretty much all year. He never shoots, and when he doesn't shoot he always either A) tries to force a pass through the box backdoor and it gets picked off, or B) he cupcakes a backhand pass to Letang and by the time it gets to him the defender is in the shooting lane. Crosby is a thinker and right now he is over thinking, if he's not going to simplify the game for himself, then the staff needs to do it for him, stick his a$$ in front of the net on the PP. A lot of people ramble about him playing the point, but how can that be justified when he makes careless passes playing the right boards?

To be fair, Sid isnt the only issue on the PP.

I dont believe the big problem is positioning. The problem is structure. You rarely see actual shots from the point. Too many forced passes through the seam. Too many "no look" passes." Not enough movement of personnel.

Id like to see: Letang at the point, Geno on one wall, Sid on the other, Horny as the net front. Then have Kunitz/Perron float between point and net front.

There are so many options with this set up. Letang from the point or setting up Geno for the one-timer OR Geno can feed to the middle for the net front. Sid can do the same from the other side. With the "floater," you have another option for a shot from the point OR causing a defender to push out to cover, giving (preferably) Sid more room.

Last edited:

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
If Sidney Crosby is the standard, then Sidney Crosby is not playing to that standard this season. I don't care what the rest of the league is doing and really I think Sid will straighten his game out sooner than later. Let's say (arguably) when Sid is at his best he is 10% better than the next best player in the league. Right now he is playing side by side with that "next best player". So holding Crosby to his own standard he is under performing right now, but who freaking cares IMO the kid has yet to reach his peak and has many more years to go playing in the NHL.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
If Sidney Crosby is the standard, then Sidney Crosby is not playing to that standard this season. I don't care what the rest of the league is doing and really I think Sid will straighten his game out sooner than later. Let's say (arguably) when Sid is at his best he is 10% better than the next best player in the league. Right now he is playing side by side with that "next best player". So holding Crosby to his own standard he is under performing right now, but who freaking cares IMO the kid has yet to reach his peak and has many more years to go playing in the NHL.

That's what Im saying. If this was Sid's first year and we had no comparison, then fine. But we have all SEEN what he can do. When he is on, he's a monster. Its ridiculous how good he is. But, to my eyes, he hasnt been playing anywhere CLOSE to that lately. Not even remotely. Using your 10% example, I dont even think that he has been playing as well as the next best player.

Will he get back to beast mode? Of course he will. Its Sid. Players like him dont just fall off the map. The question is finding out whats wrong and how to fix it.

Again, Im not trying to rag on the guy but he isnt above criticism. I love me some Sid. I love me some Geno. We need both of them playing 100% and I want them there because they ARE those players that can carry a team. We've seen it. If Sid/Geno were 35, Id have less to say. But they arent. They are still young enough to be major forces in the league. This is why its so frustrating.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
To be fair, Sid isnt the only issue on the PP.

I dont believe the big problem is positioning. The problem is structure. You rarely see actual shots from the point. Too many forced passes through the seam. Too many "no look" passes." Not enough movement of personnel.

Id like to see: Letang at the point, Geno on one wall, Sid on the other, Horny as the net front. Then have Kunitz/Perron float between point and net front. There are so many options with this set up.

I see your point, but I think if we get Sid out of the passing scenario, at least for now it will help the PP. Letang has to learn to let it fly once in awhile too. The PP was great early on because they kept it so elementary and simple, pass, shot, pass, shot. Now it's pass, pass, pass, pass, shot. The whole PP crew is over thinking, trying for that tic tac toe backdoor goal on every opportunity. This is a better team period, when they just throw as many pucks on the net as possible. I realize that you have to wait for lanes to open, but if you are playing against a solid PK unit sometimes you just have to get it to the net. A good PK might never give you a clean look and you have to do something besides pass around the perimeter for 2 minutes. I just think Sid is better served in front of the net with his possession skills and his uncanny tipping abilities.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I see your point, but I think if we get Sid out of the passing scenario, at least for now it will help the PP. Letang has to learn to let it fly once in awhile too. The PP was great early on because they kept it so elementary and simple, pass, shot, pass, shot. Now it's pass, pass, pass, pass, shot. The whole PP crew is over thinking, trying for that tic tac toe backdoor goal on every opportunity. This is a better team period, when they just throw as many pucks on the net as possible. I realize that you have to wait for lanes to open, but if you are playing against a solid PK unit sometimes you just have to get it to the net. A good PK might never give you a clean look and you have to do something besides pass around the perimeter for 2 minutes. I just think Sid is better served in front of the net with his possession skills and his uncanny tipping abilities.

Im totally with you on the simplicity thing. The most successful power plays are the one's that keep it simple.

I see what you are saying with Sid but the halfwall is the perfect place. He has options: he can shoot it. He can pass to the slot. He can pass to the point then move in for a rebound (if Tanger realizes he is allowed to shoot). If Tanger doesnt shoot and goes to Geno on the other wall, Sid can slide back out to the halfwall or go behind the net if Geno wants to send it around. If he slides into the slot, there are still two guys at the point (Letang and Perron/Kunitz). If he goes behind the net, one of the point/slot guys can move to the halfwall. Movement, movement, movement. Make the PK'ers skate and skate so they get tired or confused on assignments.

The halfwall is, imo, the best place for a high end skill guy. Its the spot with the most options.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Im totally with you on the simplicity thing. The most successful power plays are the one's that keep it simple.

I see what you are saying with Sid but the halfwall is the perfect place. He has options: he can shoot it. He can pass to the slot. He can pass to the point then move in for a rebound (if Tanger realizes he is allowed to shoot). If Tanger doesnt shoot and goes to Geno on the other wall, Sid can slide back out to the halfwall or go behind the net if Geno wants to send it around. If he slides into the slot, there are still two guys at the point (Letang and Perron/Kunitz). If he goes behind the net, one of the point/slot guys can move to the halfwall. Movement, movement, movement. Make the PK'ers skate and skate so they get tired or confused on assignments.

The halfwall is, imo, the best place for a high end skill guy. Its the spot with the most options.

Then put Malkin there, because Crosby just doesn't play well in the right circle.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I actually see some pretty good chemistry between Perron and Sid developing. There have been a bunch of games where those two have dominated possession. The big problem I'm seeing at ES is Kunitz. He's hardly ever in the right spot at the right time, and he loses the puck far too easily. I'd also like to see the Letang pairing on the ice a little more often when the first line is out there. Too often it's Scuderi on the ice with Sid and when he gets it at the point it's almost a gimme for the oppostion.

Now the PP is an entirely different matter. No one seems to want to shoot the puck. If the 1st unit wants to play like that, then it's time to separate Geno and Sid. Run two units in the hope that players become a little more selfish and start to get pucks on goal.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks

It's very arguable that's for sure. I think for Sid to be more dangerous from that position he has to get more of a shot first mentality. That is why I would actually like to see Geno on the right boards. He waits for and wants that one-timer all day long. I just wish Tanger had a bit more "Gonchar" in his passing abilities. Gonchar tee'd it up for Geno like nobody else!

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It's very arguable that's for sure. I think for Sid to be more dangerous from that position he has to get more of a shot first mentality. That is why I would actually like to see Geno on the right boards. He waits for and wants that one-timer all day long. I just wish Tanger had a bit more "Gonchar" in his passing abilities. Gonchar tee'd it up for Geno like nobody else!

Gonchar also wasn't afraid to put the puck on net. He may have shot cream puffs, but at least he knew when to shoot and did it as often as needed.

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
Gonchar also wasn't afraid to put the puck on net. He may have shot cream puffs, but at least he knew when to shoot and did it as often as needed.

This is true. Even when Letang does shoot he has a hell of a time hitting the net. I'd rather have a backhand roller put on the net than a 85mph 7 iron that goes 5 feet high and 3 feet wide, which is what we get from Tanger 7 out of 10 shots! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad