Value of: Sidney Crosby

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Did y'all miss the trade deadline? The Avs just traded for their new 2C. That was, by far, their biggest roster flaw. It’s now filled. Probably by a guy that signs an Extension of some kind the summer. They have an expensive 3C too. Avs are set down the middle.

So unless Crosby wants to become a big RHD, the Avs no longer need him. He no longer fills a formerly glaring hole in their roster.

So remove Colorado from this conversation. Try Boston. He’d fill a need there.
I think when you have a player of Crosby calibre, and he wants to play for you, you make it happen and figure out the rest. No matter who they have not named McKinnon playing center, Crosby is better.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
If he does consider moving, I think MN might be an under the radar destination. Connections to Guerin, will have the cap space to take him on without retention and re-sign, solid prospect pipeline to trade from. You would imagine that they would make a significant offer if the team is in playoff position.

Good opportunity to put up points with Kaprizov while JEE does the heavy defensive lifting. Probably not front runners, but a pretty valid option if he were looking for fresh opportunity.

Reactions: Toby Flenderson

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Of course. But 31 other teams can’t trade for him. Sid picks his team. So it doesn’t really matter what fair value is, what other teams would/could offer or what Pens management wants.
EXACTLY

Why would he want to cripple the team he wants to play for? It doesn't matter what the Pens want, it's what Crosby wants.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
EXACTLY

Why would he want to cripple the team he wants to play for? It doesn't matter what the Pens want, it's what Crosby wants.
Correct. Sid could force the Pens’ hand like Tarasenko did and the return be virtually less than nothing. I don’t think he screws over the Pens like that, but the point of him leaving is to win Cups. He’s not going to ask/demand to be traded to a contender and then have that contender gut their team for a 36yo on an expiring deal.

Anyone who thinks the Pens will get some massive haul for Sid needs to look at the reality of the situation.

Reactions: HabsAddict

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Good luck having no good centers

How would Malkin change that?

& Boston is by miles in better situation than the Pens, they aren’t looking at darkness for the next 10 years

& they’ll get Poitras back from LTIR next season and in the offseason they’ll have assets and cap to actually add someone who can help

But wait they should rather give up 2 of their top assets for 38y Malkin..

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
How would Malkin change that?

& Boston is by miles in better situation than the Pens, they aren’t looking at darkness for the next 10 years

& they’ll get Poitras back from LTIR next season and in the offseason they’ll have assets and cap to actually add someone who can help

But wait they should rather give up 2 of their top assets for 38y Malkin..
So again, maybe you missed it or are choosing to ignore facts..

Malkin, in what has been undoubtedly his worst season yet on his worst team yet, is still playing better than any center on your roster. So Boston, that is in a win now mode, would pass on upgrading the most important position in the game? Yeah makes sense good call.

Enjoy being “miles” ahead of Pittsburgh :laugh: we’ll see you at the draft same boat as us not being the Stanley Cup champs, only we’ll have the far better draft picks

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
There isn't going to be some kind of bidding war. If this happens management will get him to the spot of his choosing. I'd think probably a 1st + mid prospect

Reactions: Gatorbait19

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There isn't going to be some kind of bidding war. If this happens management will get him to the spot of his choosing. I'd think probably a 1st + mid prospect
Weird, unlikely scenario, but one that is kind of intriguing to me as a Lightning fan:

If we sign Hanafin in the off-season, that will give us like $25m down the left side. It's not unthinkable that, if that indeed happens, Sergachev could be made available. I get that Sergachev is young, and Crosby's contract is almost up, but it's not like TB's window is super wide open right now. For at least one year, we would undoubtedly be better with Crosby. Plus, again, $25m down the left side feels like something we're not gonna want to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad