Post-Game Talk: Sidney Crosby is the worst human on earth. Pens-4, Blackhawks-1

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
IIRC, HCDB did scratch Glass for at least one game of the Boston series last year. So there's hope. On the other hand, perhaps he thinks that's why the Pens ended up losing the series and he ain't gonna make that mistake again.

He was benched in the Isles series because he was too slow. But they had Dupes and Cooke to kill penalties. I'm convinced he believes the PK needs Glass and Adams to succeed, so I doubt either gets benched for the playoffs until Disco gets desperate.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
BkBmDBWCQAEhC8x.jpg-large-600x560.jpeg

:laugh:

I shouldn't have laughed but I did. At least Orpik wasn't staring at the camera as he went in for the kill.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I guess one positive sign with regards to Bylsma was that he had Crosby with Bennett and Neal on the ice for the empty net and not Gladams.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
+ no injuries

+ Orpik, ever since the team meeting hes stepped up his game, you can tell hes getting ready for the playoffs.

One hit doesn't change the fact he played laughable "defense" on the Hawks first goal (great screen though, just standing there!), and tried his best to give them another when he just backed way and gave Sharp the whole slot. I can't fault him for that though-- he did it to cover a guy Bortuzzo was already covering. :sarcasm:

Bottom line is he remains an idiot.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
+if we get healthy we'll compete
--- even if we are healthy we are dogs to come out of the east, thanks DB

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
One hit doesn't change the fact he played laughable "defense" on the Hawks first goal (great screen though, just standing there!), and tried his best to give them another when he just backed way and gave Sharp the whole slot. I can't fault him for that though-- he did it to cover a guy Bortuzzo was already covering. :sarcasm:

Bottom line is he remains an idiot.

I disagree, i think Orpik has been playing good hockey lately, i think once people have a dislike for a player they start to see what they want to see no matter how the player is playing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I disagree, i think Orpik has been playing good hockey lately, i think once people have a dislike for a player they start to see what they want to see no matter how the player is playing.

Generally speaking, Orpik was good last night, but he has been brutal on the PK lately. There's been 3 or 4 goals where he was just standing there doing nothing while a guy is wide open in front.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Generally speaking, Orpik was good last night, but he has been brutal on the PK lately. There's been 3 or 4 goals where he was just standing there doing nothing while a guy is wide open in front.

To be fair, most of the defensemen can be blamed for that. The Penguins in general are just too soft in front of their own net, especially on the PK.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
To be fair, most of the defensemen can be blamed for that. The Penguins in general are just too soft in front of their own net, especially on the PK.

And considering Bylsma hates the one dman who actually clears the crease, you have to wonder if they're coached not to.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I agree. That still doesn't absolve Orpik for it. He's the "leader" of the defense. The only d that are tough in front of the net are Bortuzzo and Despres.

Sjb141

Dec 11, 2008
Some of the players and Q aren't very pleased with the game. Said they had chances to score, but couldn't bury them, they at times lately have made a mistake and it's bitten them. Crawford is mad as all get out, Hossa said he's known Orpik to be clean, so he will continue to think that until proven otherwise, he didn't see the hit on Johnny so cant say anything about it, all around the boys are pissed off with this little skid and going from leading the league in goals per game to can't bury the biscuit.

I paraphrased, but that's the jest of it.

BTW good game by you guys. I thought other than those two quick goals in the first it was much more even than the outdoor game.

I thought the Orpik hit on Johnny was clean and it sucked to lose him. I didn't like that nobody on the Hawks went and at least offered Orpik a kiss or something, but they played better after Johnny went down.

Fleury was a beauty tonight. He kept y'all in the game during the times we played in your zone with just some incredible saves.

Thanks for that - I was actually more curious just in response to the hit specifically.

There are a few players that have a legit gripe with Orpik (Erik Cole specifically, more recently stepan) but it's interesting to me everyone who's ever played with him defends him pretty much 100% of the time.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Infracted yesterday in defense of Orpik, who was being trashed by a Bruins fan.....I answered the bell baby! Milbury can suck it.

:laugh: Good stuff.

He had the Olympic break and Zatkoff has played a lot more as of late, Fleury is fine, if anything, he needs to keep playing to stay in the groove he's been in the last 2 games.

Also, I think you got the blame game wrong...

It's Bylsma, then Fleury for people's idiotic defaults for who to blame, solely. Because Sid & Geno haven't had their tantrums and disappearing acts in the playoffs, it's like Letang, Martin, Niskanen and various others haven't been crap in the playoffs the last 4yrs.

Just Fleury, pooping the bed. Good ol' Fleury.

To be fair Fleury has pooped the bed in the postseason with much more consistency than any of the others you mentioned. Sid/Geno have scored as consistently as a player can. Letang led the team in scoring last year, and his defensive lapses weren't the reason they lost the Boston series. Martin had one atrocious year - was called on it - and then collected himself and showed no signs of previous atrocity.
What's "idiotic" about the chain of blame command starting with Dan and Marc? That seems pretty reasonable given the outcomes since 2009.

I agree with the second part, but I can't follow how you think people are just being hard on Orpik.

On the goal against he just has to keep pushing the Blackhawk in front screening Marc. He WAS pushing him. He recognized that he had to remove the player from the front, but he just kinda stopped for no apparent reason. He wasn't being excessive - there was no danger of a call - but he just randomly stopped moving his feet.

Then in a 2-1 game in the 3rd he lets the Hawk's most dangerous sniper have a clear path to the net to cover no one.

He might be playing better as a whole than at the beginning of the season but he's still having brain farts at extremely inopportune times.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And considering Bylsma hates the one dman who actually clears the crease, you have to wonder if they're coached not to.

It's mostly by design that they don't remove guys from the crease. A lot of teams coach their defenseman to get in front of the man and block the shots, rather than battling with him in the crease.

I've never been a big fan of the idea, but when done properly it does work. So people could be ragging on Orpik for doing something he is coached to do.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
It's mostly by design that they don't remove guys from the crease. A lot of teams coach their defenseman to get in front of the man and block the shots, rather than battling with him in the crease.

I've never been a big fan of the idea, but when done properly it does work. So people could be ragging on Orpik for doing something he is coached to do.

One would assume that the defenseman in question should likely be looking at the puck in order to attempt to block it.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Amen

He just has the look of a playmaker that will give teams fits

even in the game i watced in wbs during his rehab stint, he really aggressively has looked to beat people 1v1. not always successfully, but does demonstrate confidence and id imagine keeps defenders honest.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'd love to see what Gibbons-Vitale-Megna could do on a line together. That's the type of energy line that could give this team a boost. But I'm sure Tanner Glass blocking some shots will get the team going.....

But any combination of those three with Sutter, Goc and Juice is what I want to see. Stempniak and Beau should be in the top 6.

Considerably smaller than your average 4th line, however all 3 of them bring tremendous speed and tenacity. They'd definitely be buzzing out there.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
There are teams that could use him. Perhaps we can deal Fleury with Sutter and others to Van for Kesler+Kassian? Canucks get a number 1 goalie back they can trade away, then we sign Hiller.

Fleury is coming off a career year. Unless he implodes again in the playoffs I still don't see him getting dealt anytime soon.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Does anyone else see it as being even more pointless to have Glass in the lineup when we already have Pyatt out there. If anything when Geno and Goc come back I'd like to see Pyatt on our 4th line with Megna and Vitale. Sit Glass and Adams in the pressbox where they belong.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Does anyone else see it as being even more pointless to have Glass in the lineup when we already have Pyatt out there. If anything when Geno and Goc come back I'd like to see Pyatt on our 4th line with Megna and Vitale. Sit Glass and Adams in the pressbox where they belong.

It's more pointless to have Glass, Adams, and Pyatt in the lineup because all 3 suck. Less suckage > More suckage

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Fleury is coming off a career year. Unless he implodes again in the playoffs I still don't see him getting dealt anytime soon.

Especially with what could be a week market for free agent goalies, again. The only potential starting options out of free agency are Miller, Hiller, and Halak. Miller reportedly wants to sign with Anaheim so that he and his wife, actress Noureen DeWulf, are closer to LA, which leaves Hiller & Halak. That means you could potentially have Vancouver + Calgary + St Louis + NY Islanders + Buffalo + Winnipeg all vying two free agents.

I guess they could try to get a goalie in return, but then you're looking at overpaying for what likely amounts to only a marginal upgrade.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I've become a defeatist when it comes to the thought of Glass and Adams sitting out.

To be honest if I could choose one I would remove Adams and keep Glass in 10 out of 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad