Post-Game Talk: Sidney Crosby is the worst human on earth. Pens-4, Blackhawks-1

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Especially with what could be a week market for free agent goalies, again. The only potential starting options out of free agency are Miller, Hiller, and Halak. Miller reportedly wants to sign with Anaheim so that he and his wife, actress Noureen DeWulf, are closer to LA, which leaves Hiller & Halak. That means you could potentially have Vancouver + Calgary + St Louis + NY Islanders + Buffalo + Winnipeg all vying two free agents.

I guess they could try to get a goalie in return, but then you're looking at overpaying for what likely amounts to only a marginal upgrade.

Why would Anaheim want to sign him with Andersen and Gibson? I can't see them being interested in paying big dollars and big term to any goalie.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Why would Anaheim want to sign him with Andersen and Gibson? I can't see them being interested in paying big dollars and big term to any goalie.

I doubt they let Hiller go UFA to begin with. I really can't see the Ducks, one of the top teams in the league, going into next season with a goaltending duo that has a combined 24 games of NHL experience. Even if you throw in AHL experience, they're still only at 120 combined.

Stainless

May 21, 2009
gulfcoast
Amazing what having Bennett back has done for the look of the team. . .

He just has the look of a playmaker that will give teams fits

even in the game i watced in wbs during his rehab stint, he really aggressively has looked to beat people 1v1..

He brings energy...I could see that the minute he goes on the attack

more importantly he has the puck handling skills we've been sorely lacking

if I have to watch Glass flub another pass or whiff on another wide open shot I might stab myself in the head with an icepick 30 or 40 times

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Especially with what could be a week market for free agent goalies, again. The only potential starting options out of free agency are Miller, Hiller, and Halak. Miller reportedly wants to sign with Anaheim so that he and his wife, actress Noureen DeWulf, are closer to LA, which leaves Hiller & Halak. That means you could potentially have Vancouver + Calgary + St Louis + NY Islanders + Buffalo + Winnipeg all vying two free agents.

I guess they could try to get a goalie in return, but then you're looking at overpaying for what likely amounts to only a marginal upgrade.

How is Miller, Hiller, and Halak a "weak market for free agent goalies"? I can't remember a stronger market recently. It's rare that a starting goalie hits free agency anyway so this seems like a decent market. That said, I'm not sure I want the Pens bidding on those guys, just commenting on the weak market comment.

Also, with regards to Miller, isn't Anaheim like the last team to need a high cost starter (esp given they are a budget team)?

They have Andersen and Gibson seems ready for NHL action next year. I just don't see why they would spend big bucks on Miller.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I doubt they let Hiller go UFA to begin with. I really can't see the Ducks, one of the top teams in the league, going into next season with a goaltending duo that has a combined 24 games of NHL experience. Even if you throw in AHL experience, they're still only at 120 combined.

That's some Dan Bylsma logic there. Experience is something that Craig Adams has in spades.

Talent is an entirely different entity and the Ducks have plenty of goaltending talent outside of Hiller. It would be great decision to spend their money elsewhere (D) instead of 5-6M for Hiller.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
How is Miller, Hiller, and Halak a "weak market for free agent goalies"? I can't remember a stronger market recently. It's rare that a starting goalie hits free agency anyway so this seems like a decent market. That said, I'm not sure I want the Pens bidding on those guys, just commenting on the weak market comment.

That's assuming they actually hit free agency, and without considering the market. The biggest obstacles are:
  • St Louis, whose only goalie under contract next season is Jake Allen (and it's the last year on his ELC).
  • NY Islanders have no goalies under contract next season, and will likely have a new, ambitious owner by July 1.
  • Winnipeg only has Pavelec under contract for next season, and it's rumoured that he's as good as gone which means they'll be in the market for a new starter.
  • Carolina is reportedly shopping Cam Ward and could be looking toward free agency for a goalie to platoon with Khudobin (ie: Halak).
  • Washington may be looking for an experienced backup to help take some pressure off Holtby, once again looking in Halak's direction (contract extension).

As far as Anaheim goes, as I noted a few posts back, I have a hard time believing one of the top teams in the NHL will go into next season sporting a goaltending duo with 24 games of NHL experience between them.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
He was benched in the Isles series because he was too slow. But they had Dupes and Cooke to kill penalties. I'm convinced he believes the PK needs Glass and Adams to succeed, so I doubt either gets benched for the playoffs until Disco gets desperate.

Yeah that's pretty much the way I look at it. They locked the division up months ago, and with 7 games left he hasn't even bothered to try Stempniak or Vitale "just to see"

Those 2 are in for the long haul, and it makes me ill. As awful as he normally is, Adams was so particularly bad last night he stood out more than he usually does.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's assuming they actually hit free agency, and without considering the market. The biggest obstacles are:
  • St Louis, whose only goalie under contract next season is Jake Allen (and it's the last year on his ELC).
  • NY Islanders have no goalies under contract next season, and will likely have a new, ambitious owner by July 1.
  • Winnipeg only has Pavelec under contract for next season, and it's rumoured that he's as good as gone which means they'll be in the market for a new starter.
  • Carolina is reportedly shopping Cam Ward and could be looking toward free agency for a goalie to platoon with Khudobin (ie: Halak).
  • Washington may be looking for an experienced backup to help take some pressure off Holtby, once again looking in Halak's direction (contract extension).

As far as Anaheim goes, as I noted a few posts back, I have a hard time believing one of the top teams in the NHL will go into next season sporting a goaltending duo with 24 games of NHL experience between them.

I think you are missing my point. I don't want the Penguins to get rid of Fleury and try to outbid teams for whoever is left of Miller, Hiller, Halak. I was just questioning your classification of this particular free agent goalie market as "weak". It's always weak.

That said, it's completely possible that all 3 of Miller, Hiller, and Halak are off the market before free agency even hits.

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Again, you are missing my point. I don't want the Penguins to get rid of Fleury and try to outbid teams for whoever is left of Miller, Hiller, Halak. I was just questioning your classification of this particular free agent goalie market as "weak". It's always weak.

That said, it's completely possible that all 3 of Miller, Hiller, and Halak are off the market before free agency even hits.

Ok, we're actually on the same page then - so, my bad.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I think you guys should ehug it out.

I tried to fistbump, but it didn't work out too well.

tobiasfistknockcommunity.gif

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
bruins fans trying to make friends.

More like Bruins fans trying to convince Hawks fans (who mostly have been okay with it) that the Penguins are the personified devil. It's beyond ridiculous.
Can somebody tell me where this unhealthy obsession comes from? Have the tears about the Savard hit still not dried?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
More like Bruins fans trying to convince Hawks fans (who mostly have been okay with it) that the Penguins are the personified devil. It's beyond ridiculous.
Can somebody tell me where this unhealthy obsession comes from? Have the tears about the Savard hit still not dried?

Boston likes to play the victim card. The city lives for it. Even when they're not actually the victim.

See also: Cam Neely's knee was not wrecked by Samuelsson, according to Neely. It was wrecked by Neely, according to Neely. You'd never know that by talking to anybody associated with the city of Boston (other than Neely), however.

Don't want the truth to get in the way of crying for sympathy points.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Boston likes to play the victim card. The city lives for it. Even when they're not actually the victim.

See also: Cam Neely's knee was not wrecked by Samuelsson, according to Neely. It was wrecked by Neely, according to Neely. You'd never know that by talking to anybody associated with the city of Boston (other than Neely), however.

Don't want the truth to get in the way of crying for sympathy points.

They want to be America's Martyrs. Look how big bad New York beats up on Boston :cry: Neely admitted in an interview his career wasn't going to be a long one due to the way he played i.e. Charging, Boarding, Roughing etc... Samuelsson got back at him due to all the years of abuse in the Adams Division when he was playing for Hartford.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad