Sidney Crosby has been one of the most dominant sport athletes of the past 20 years

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
I'm more confused over people listing Manning over drew brees? What has manning done better than drew?

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Dunning-Kruger in action.

Shaq was a much more dominant player than Kobe.

Either way the Lakers wouldn’t have been what they were without one of them. Doesn’t matter in the context here because both are in a different stratosphere compared to Crosby in the last 20 years.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Seen this type a thread a couple times this year. Mainly a hockey fan so understand the bias but how do people consider tennis players higher then hockey players? Legitimately asking. I see the skill in tennis but come on. Does it have to do with popularity worldwide or money worldwide?

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
But he hasn't won a scoring race in a long time, and never beaten McDavid in a scoring race, only has 2 Art Rosses in his whole career while McDavid is 23 and already has 2 Art Rosses.

how many Conn Smythes does McOverrated have again?

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
When you look back at the past 20 years, it really shows how dominant Sid really is. Let's look at his resume:

2 Harts
2 Art Rosses
2 Rocket Richards
2 Conn Smythes
3 Ted Lindsays
1 Mark Messier Leadership
1 World Cup MVP
4 First Team and 4 Second Team All Stars
6 100+ point Seasons
5 Time PPG leader
3 Stanley Cups
2 Olympic Gold Medals
1 Word Cup
1 World Championship Gold Medal
1 World Junior Championship Gold Medal

That, my friends, is a stacked resume. To go even further, this is how Sid does compares to the rest of his peers:

• The only player to lead the league in goals, GPG , assists, APG, points, and PPG
  • The only 2 time smythe winner
  • The only player to captain his team to a Stanley Cup, World Championship, World Cup, and Olympics
  • The only player to win a mvp in the regular season, playoffs, and best on best tournaments
  • Has lead the league in PPG the most times
  • The most 100+, 90+, and 80+ point seasons
  • The only player to lead the league in goals, assists, and points in both the regular season and playoffs
  • The only player to finish in the top 10 in scoring while also finishing top 10 in selke voting for 4 straight years
  • The only player to score 50+ goals, 80+ assists, an 120+ points
  • The only player to win 2 harts, 2 art rosses, and 2 smythes, joining Wayne, Mario and Bobby in this elite category.

To go even further, it's also Sid's complete game. Since the past 20 years, no one has the hockey IQ and vision he possesses. The way Sid see's the game and how many steps he thinks is truly astounding. If you think 1 step ahead, Sid will think 2 steps ahead. If it's 2 steps ahead, Sid will think 3 steps ahead.

He's the greatest offensive player of the past 20 years while also being one of the best defensive players. In addition, the way he's a puck possession monster, an elite net front presence, and being the greatest grinder ever, Sid has no weaknesses to his resume.

He's the standout playoff performer. He's the playoff scoring leader of the past 20 years, with 186 points. He's one 2 smythes in 2017 and 2017, back to back years. that's something that not even Wayne Gretzky can say. Gretzky may be the best playoff player ever, but Sid isn't that far back.
edit- like with the edit below, I underrate Wayne's playoffs. Gretzky's playoffs is amazing.

He's the leading PPG leader (excluding McDavid because of lack of of games). That's with a huge sample size.

If we were to look at the top 10 seasons of the past 20 years, these would be the ones:

Sakic in 2001, Thornton in 2006, Jagr in 2006, Ovechkin in 2008, Malkin in 2012, Crosby in 2014, Price in 2015, Kane in 2016, Crosby in 2019, and Kucherov in 2019. Those are without a doubt the top 10 most dominant seasons of the past 20 years, with Sid holding 2 of them.

Another feathe to Sid is his 2016 world cup performance. That was the most dominant performance for any player in a best on best tournament of the past 20 years.

Last, but certain not least, at sid's 3 year peak, his PPG was out of this world. No one was able to record ppg seasons of 1.61, 1.68, and 1.56. Sid, on a per game level, was a level above everyone else.

Sidney Crosby is without a doubt one of the most dominant sport athletes of the past 20 years. He's easily among the top 10 best. I believe in the past 20 years, these are the most dominant sport athletes, in no order of course:

Sidney Crosby
Lebron James
Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Tom Brady
Usain Bolt
Michael Phelps
Roger Federer
Peyton Manning
Tiger Woods
Novak Djokovic
Rafael Nadal
Michael Schumacher
Serena Williams
Shaquille O'Neal

Sid is truly the best among the best.

edit-given the names presented, and a quick research I will go ahead and change my mind saying that Sid is not a top 10 guy, but top 15 is more than acceptable. I

edit 2-looking at the seasons I listed, I can't believe I forgot Kane's 2016 season. That was an amazing season and should be included. Hate to say it, but I'm going to remove Sid's 2007 season. Besides, it's his weakest season of the 3 I have mentioned. Not that power play points don't mean anything, but even strength performance is always more impressive.

edit 3-I also underrate Gretzky's playoffs compared to Sid. Wayne was next level. Sid's amongst the best playoff players ever, but Wayne was a tier above.

legit resume for the 5th GOAT.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Pretty ridiculous thread when he wasn't even the best player on his own team when he and Malkin were at their respective peaks.

Most dominant in sports? lol.
Pretty ridiculous thread when he wasn't even the best player on his own team when he and Malkin were at their respective peaks.

Geno is probably more talented (slightly), but Sid is the engine of the franchise. And yes, he’s one of the most dominant athletes in the past 20 years.

Reactions: Big JD

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Not even close. You mean the most overrated player in the history of hockey?
Honestly, I'd rather we just stop talking about Crosby until he's retired and people can actually appreciate him for his incredible talent and accomplishments. These threads attract stupidity like flies to honey.

Case in point.

Seriously, how does this become yet another f***ing Crosby vs. OV thread? It took one page before the usual suspects swarmed in and derailed things.

Last edited:

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Let’s ignore the fact that he’s not even the most dominant hockey player of the last 20 years and focus on the fact that hockey is one of the hardest sports for one player to be considered “dominant” b/c of how little a single player is on the ice relative to other sports.

Listen, I really like Sid (especially have tons of respect for the guy) and he's been probably the best player of his generation overall but this thread is absolutely bullshite.
Hell, he doesn't even have more Art Rosses than one of his teammates (and don't come with the injuries as Geno has missed arguably more games than him dued to injuries) and only 1 Hart more and 1 CS more (one of them being possibly one of the worst CS ever given in recent history: 19 pts in 24 games with a whopping minus 2...the only minus player among the top 10 PO scorers that year btw)

Think about it, the guy has been outscored in each of his CS trophy not only by another player around but each time by one of his teammates!
How often has it happened for the star forward of the team who has won the SC? Not very often, i'm pretty sure about that.
And again, his first CS was overall a joke, either Kessel or Murray should have won it, every Pens fans would tell you that.

Last edited:

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Geno is probably more talented (slightly), but Sid is the engine of the franchise. And yes, he’s one of the most dominant athletes in the past 20 years.

he is the engine of the franchise but the reality is that when Sid has been out (and that has happened quite a few times for long periods), Geno has carried the franchise at least as well if not better than Sid in his prime if you only look at individual stats (and without the luxury of having another superstar near him in the PPs contrary to Sid)

Last edited:
Reactions: Casanova

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not even close. He hasn’t been a dominant player at any point in his career and he isn’t viewed as a GOAT candidate. He’ll you can argue peak-for-peak that he isn’t even the most dominant player on his team. In other sports you got:

Bolt in Track and Field
Phelps in Swimming
Federer, Nadal and Djokovic in tennis
Serena Williams in women’s tennis
Tiger in golf
Manning and Brady in NFL
Messi and Ronaldo in Football
Schumacher, Hamilton and Vettel in F1
LeBron, Duncan, Shaq, Kobe and Curry in basketball
Pujols, Trout, Bonds, and Kershaw in baseball
White in snowboarding
Hanyu in figure skating

All of whom were more dominant than Crosby.

Anyone saying Brady is #1 though is clearly a deluded Yankee who has never watched another sport besides NFL and has probably never left their state lol

I like how you named 12 sports and 8 of them are individual sports. Lolz. Nice. The evolution of all the sports listed makes "GOAT" arguments difficult. Every sport has their "era arguments". Crosby is clearly the GOAT between 2000 and 2020.

Not even close. You mean the most overrated player in the history of hockey?

Crosby has an Emmy. Does Ovechkin have a Emmy?

No. In small spurts, Malkin was the better player but over the course of the last 15 years, Crosby has been better than Malkin. Malkin is the clear #3 best player of the last 15 years. Ov is #2, Sid is #1.

Reactions: Big JD and Son Goku

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
LOL. Sid's resume is nowhere near the class of LeBron, Messi, Ronaldo, Brady, or Federer. He's the tier right below those guys.
Based on pure talent and skill, Sid Crusty is on their level, but I think you're making the resume argument so that's what I'm basing this off of.

Think about how many times these guys have been to the finals. LeBron 9 times, Messi's won 4 CL's with 5 Ballon D'ors, Ronaldo won 3 CL's IN A ROW with 4 D'ors. Brady's been to 9 Superbowls and Federer has so many titles I can't even remember off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong, Sid Crusty is the best player of his generation in the NHL but because of his busted up head and lack of championship pedigree compared to the guys above he's nowhere near their level. Anyone who thinks otherwise has lost their minds.

Here's the last point that should remove any doubt. All of these guys `LeBron, Messi, Ronaldo, Brady, Federer` have LEGITIMATE arguments of being the greatest of all time in their Sports. LIKE GOAT GOAT. NO ONE will ever argue that Sidney is the GOAT. Generational player but not even close to the GOAT conversation.

/thread. Thanks for all the `this` I'm gonna get. Appreciate it.

Grow up.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Completely agree with OP. Sid is among the most dominant athletes at his respective sport. I believe he is on the Gretz, Lemieux, Jagr tier in terms of offensive players since the 80’s. It’s those 4 then the rest. The ‘completeness’ of his skillset is unique even among those 4. I don’t believe McDavid is at his tier, and likely will not achieve it in retrospect of his career.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Injuries robbed him of two more Art Rosses and two more Harts.

His trophy case would be stacked as all hell.

I think he retires a top 5 player in NHL history.

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
Your "brilliant points" are invalidated by your apparent immaturity.
What you view as immaturity could easily be interpreted as colorful commentary. Of course you're free to interpret the composition to your liking but it may behoove you to try considering other alternatives other than just closing the case explained by perceived immaturity.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I feel like we were overdue for one of these threads.

And the bit where we didn't even get to page 2 and Ovechkin's name was mentioned, then the stuff about how one dimensional he is and how he is the worst defensive player in the game. Oh and then the talk about plus/ minus,
I have to be honest. I wasn't expecting any of that.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Putting it this way Crosby becomes overrated, and history won't be kind to his perceived dominance with how many "if's" are attached to it. If you claim a center's domination in hockey, he'd better have more than 2 Art Rosses and Hart trophies over a 20 year span (aware he's been in the league since 2005 only, but it's in the OP).

Reactions: Zuluss

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Just from your list Sid is probably on the level of Shaq and Payton. Everyone else has been level or two higher. He has nothing on the likes of Federer, Messi, Ronaldo, James and Brady.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad