Sidney Crosby has been one of the most dominant sport athletes of the past 20 years

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
When you look back at the past 20 years, it really shows how dominant Sid really is. Let's look at his resume:

2 Harts
2 Art Rosses
2 Rocket Richards
2 Conn Smythes
3 Ted Lindsays
1 Mark Messier Leadership
1 World Cup MVP
4 First Team and 4 Second Team All Stars
6 100+ point Seasons
5 Time PPG leader
3 Stanley Cups
2 Olympic Gold Medals
1 Word Cup
1 World Championship Gold Medal
1 World Junior Championship Gold Medal

That, my friends, is a stacked resume. To go even further, this is how Sid does compares to the rest of his peers:

• The only player to lead the league in goals, GPG , assists, APG, points, and PPG
  • The only 2 time smythe winner
  • The only player to captain his team to a Stanley Cup, World Championship, World Cup, and Olympics
  • The only player to win a mvp in the regular season, playoffs, and best on best tournaments
  • Has lead the league in PPG the most times
  • The most 100+, 90+, and 80+ point seasons
  • The only player to lead the league in goals, assists, and points in both the regular season and playoffs
  • The only player to finish in the top 10 in scoring while also finishing top 10 in selke voting for 4 straight years
  • The only player to score 50+ goals, 80+ assists, an 120+ points
  • The only player to win 2 harts, 2 art rosses, and 2 smythes, joining Wayne, Mario and Bobby in this elite category.

To go even further, it's also Sid's complete game. Since the past 20 years, no one has the hockey IQ and vision he possesses. The way Sid see's the game and how many steps he thinks is truly astounding. If you think 1 step ahead, Sid will think 2 steps ahead. If it's 2 steps ahead, Sid will think 3 steps ahead.

He's the greatest offensive player of the past 20 years while also being one of the best defensive players. In addition, the way he's a puck possession monster, an elite net front presence, and being the greatest grinder ever, Sid has no weaknesses to his resume.

He's the standout playoff performer. He's the playoff scoring leader of the past 20 years, with 186 points. He's one 2 smythes in 2017 and 2017, back to back years. that's something that not even Wayne Gretzky can say. Gretzky may be the best playoff player ever, but Sid isn't that far back.
edit- like with the edit below, I underrate Wayne's playoffs. Gretzky's playoffs is amazing.

He's the leading PPG leader (excluding McDavid because of lack of of games). That's with a huge sample size.

If we were to look at the top 10 seasons of the past 20 years, these would be the ones:

Sakic in 2001, Thornton in 2006, Jagr in 2006, Ovechkin in 2008, Malkin in 2012, Crosby in 2014, Price in 2015, Kane in 2016, Crosby in 2019, and Kucherov in 2019. Those are without a doubt the top 10 most dominant seasons of the past 20 years, with Sid holding 2 of them.

Another feathe to Sid is his 2016 world cup performance. That was the most dominant performance for any player in a best on best tournament of the past 20 years.

Last, but certain not least, at sid's 3 year peak, his PPG was out of this world. No one was able to record ppg seasons of 1.61, 1.68, and 1.56. Sid, on a per game level, was a level above everyone else.

Sidney Crosby is without a doubt one of the most dominant sport athletes of the past 20 years. He's easily among the top 10 best. I believe in the past 20 years, these are the most dominant sport athletes, in no order of course:

Sidney Crosby
Lebron James
Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Tom Brady
Usain Bolt
Michael Phelps
Roger Federer
Peyton Manning
Tiger Woods
Novak Djokovic
Rafael Nadal
Michael Schumacher
Serena Williams
Shaquille O'Neal

Sid is truly the best among the best.

edit-given the names presented, and a quick research I will go ahead and change my mind saying that Sid is not a top 10 guy, but top 15 is more than acceptable. I

edit 2-looking at the seasons I listed, I can't believe I forgot Kane's 2016 season. That was an amazing season and should be included. Hate to say it, but I'm going to remove Sid's 2007 season. Besides, it's his weakest season of the 3 I have mentioned. Not that power play points don't mean anything, but even strength performance is always more impressive.

edit 3-I also underrate Gretzky's playoffs compared to Sid. Wayne was next level. Sid's amongst the best playoff players ever, but Wayne was a tier above.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Greatest player of the era and top 5 all time. But there are many current athletes more dominant and in bigger sports
Novak the joker for example. Who is the goat tennis player sorry Federer fans

deepthoughtsleafs

Oct 14, 2018
LOL. Sid's resume is nowhere near the class of LeBron, Messi, Ronaldo, Brady, or Federer. He's the tier right below those guys.
Based on pure talent and skill, Sid Crusty is on their level, but I think you're making the resume argument so that's what I'm basing this off of.

Think about how many times these guys have been to the finals. LeBron 9 times, Messi's won 4 CL's with 5 Ballon D'ors, Ronaldo won 3 CL's IN A ROW with 4 D'ors. Brady's been to 9 Superbowls and Federer has so many titles I can't even remember off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong, Sid Crusty is the best player of his generation in the NHL but because of his busted up head and lack of championship pedigree compared to the guys above he's nowhere near their level. Anyone who thinks otherwise has lost their minds.

Here's the last point that should remove any doubt. All of these guys `LeBron, Messi, Ronaldo, Brady, Federer` have LEGITIMATE arguments of being the greatest of all time in their Sports. LIKE GOAT GOAT. NO ONE will ever argue that Sidney is the GOAT. Generational player but not even close to the GOAT conversation.

/thread. Thanks for all the `this` I'm gonna get. Appreciate it.

Last edited:

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Brady
Ronaldo
Manning
Federer
Djokovic
Williams
Nadal
Trout
Messi
Bolt
Phelps
Woods
White
Hamilton
Schumacher
James
Bryant
O’Neal
Curry

plus I’m sure a bunch of others

he’s been the best hockey player but he has been nowhere near as dominant as any of these people

illpucks

May 26, 2011
But he hasn't won a scoring race in a long time, and never beaten McDavid in a scoring race, only has 2 Art Rosses in his whole career while McDavid is 23 and already has 2 Art Rosses.

Reactions: Star Ocean

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
When you look back at the past 20 years, it really shows how dominant Sid really is. Let's look at his resume:

2 Harts
2 Art Rosses
2 Rocket Richards
2 Conn Smythes
3 Ted Lindsays
1 Mark Messier Leadership
1 World Cup MVP
4 First Team and 4 Second Team All Stars
6 100+ point Seasons
5 Time PPG leader
3 Stanley Cups
2 Olympic Gold Medals
1 Word Cup
1 World Championship
1 World Junior Championship

That, my friends, is a stacked resume. To go even further, this is how Sid does compares to the rest of his peers:

• The only player to lead the league in goals, GPG , assists, APG, points, and PPG
  • The only 2 time smythe winner
  • The only player to captain his team to a Stanley Cup, World Championship, World Cup, and Olympics
  • The only player to win a mvp in the regular season, playoffs, and best on best tournaments
  • Has lead the league in PPG the most times
  • The most 100+, 90+, and 80+ point seasons
  • The only player to lead the league in goals, assists, and points in both the regular season and playoffs
  • The only player to finish in the top 10 in scoring while also finishing top 10 in selke voting for 4 straight years
  • The only player to score 50+ goals, 80+ assists, an 120+ points
  • The only player to win 2 harts, 2 art rosses, and 2 smythes, joining Wayne, Mario and Bobby in this elite category.

To go even further, it's also Sid's complete game. Since the past 20 years, no one has the hockey IQ and vision he possesses. The way Sid see's the game and how many steps he thinks is truly astounding. If you think 1 step ahead, Sid will think 2 steps ahead. If it's 2 steps ahead, Sid will think 3 steps ahead.

He's the greatest offensive player of the past 20 years while also being one of the best defensive players. In addition, the way he's a puck possession monster, an elite net front presence, and being the greatest grinder ever, Sid has no weaknesses to his resume.

He's the standout playoff performer. He's the playoff scoring leader of the past 20 years, with 186 points. He's one 2 smythe in 2017 and 2017, back to back years. that's something that not even Wayne Gretzky can say. Gretzky may be the best playoff player ever, but Sid isn't that far back.

He's the leading PPG leader (excluding McDavid because of lack of of games). That's with a huge sample size.

If we were to look at the 10 seasons of the past 20 years, these would be the ones:

Sakic in 2001, Thornton in 2006, Jagr in 2006, Crosby in 2007, Ovechkin in 2008, Malkin in 2012, Crosby in 2014, Price in 2015, Crosby in 2019, and Kucherov in 2019. Those are without a doubt the top 10 most dominant seasons of the past 20 years, with Sid holding 3 of them.

Another feathe to Sid is his 2016 world cup performance. That was the most dominant performance for any player in a best on best tournament of the past 20 years.

Last, but certain not least, at sid's 3 year peak, his PPG was out of this world. No one was able to record ppg seasons of 1.61, 1.68, and 1.56. Sid, on a per game level, was a level above everyone else.

Sidney Crosby is without a doubt one of the most dominant sport athletes of the past 20 years. He's easily among the top 10 best. I believe in the past 20 years, these are the most dominant sport athletes, in no order of course:

Sidney Crosby
Lebron James
Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Tom Brady
Usain Bolt
Michael Phelps
Roger Federer
Peyton Manning
Tiger Woods

Sid is truly the best among the best.

LOL. Sid's resume is nowhere near the class of LeBron, Messi, Ronaldo, Brady, or Federer. He's the tier right below those guys.
Based on pure talent and skill, Sid Crusty is their level, but I think you're making the resume argument so that's what I'm basing this off of.

Think about how many times these guys have been to the finals. LeBron 9 times, Messi's won 4 CL's with 5 Ballon D'ors, Ronaldo won 3 CL's IN A ROW with 4 D'ors. Brady's been to 9 Superbowls and Federer has so many titles I can't even remember off the top of my head.

Don't get me wrong, Sid Crusty is the best player of his generation in the NHL but because of his busted up head and lack of championship pedigree compared to the guys above he's nowhere near their level. Anyone who thinks otherwise has lost their minds.

Here's the last point that should remove any doubt. All of these guys `LeBron, Messi, Ronaldo, Brady, Federer` have LEGITIMATE arguments of being the greatest of all time in their Sports. LIKE GOAT GOAT. NO ONE will ever argue that Sidney is the GOAT. Generational player but not even close to the GOAT conversation.

/thread. Thanks for all the `this` I'm gonna get. Appreciate it.

This reeks of the same guy on two different accounts trying to stir up shit...

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
But he hasn't won a scoring race in a long time, and never beaten McDavid in a scoring race, only has 2 Art Rosses in his whole career while McDavid is 23 and already has 2 Art Rosses.
Will be 3 years in a row with no hart for mcdavid and 2 years in a row with no art Ross. Let’s see what happens

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Brady
Ronaldo
Manning
Federer
Djokovic
Williams
Nadal
Trout
Messi
Bolt
Phelps
Woods
White
Hamilton
Schumacher
James
Bryant
O’Neal
Curry

plus I’m sure a bunch of others

he’s been the best hockey player but he has been nowhere near as dominant as any of these people

I find it hard to believe someone like Trout and Curry are better than Sid. Curry took years to be an elite player, and he has never won a finals mvp. He lost out against KD and Iguodala. And for Trout, he needs to win a World Series before he can be mentioned the best. Greatness is defined by championships, and Trout needs it.

edit-for what its worth, Trout, for me anyway, just needs 1 world series win. That's it.

Last edited:

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
If you want to list Ronaldo, then you have to list Ovi

Disagree, Ovi is up there, but not among the best of the best. He has been a 1 dimensional player for the past decade, as well as being not a complete player. His defense, is well, truly awful. Ovi is one of the worst defensive players in the NHL, and has been for the majority of his career. That, and his playoffs is pretty mediocre. One conference finals and 1 Stanley cup finals appearance is major underachievement for a player of his caliber and the teams he has. Seriously, Ovi has been blessed with fantastic teams compared to most star players.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Disagree, Ovi is up there, but not among the best of the best. He has been a 1 dimensional player for the past decade, as well as being not a complete player. His defense, is well, truly awful. Ovi is one of the worst defensive players in the NHL, and has been for the majority of his career. That, and his playoffs is pretty mediocre. One conference finals and 1 Stanley cup finals appearance is major underachievement for a player of his caliber and the teams he has. Seriously, Ovi has been blessed with fantastic teams compared to most star players.

Some of the most uninformed posts I've seen on HF. You clearly don't watch him play. He is complete player with good defensive abilities, but he is mostly focusing on offense. But the fact that he mostly focuses on offense doesn't negate his defensive talent.

Reactions: slapKing

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

Well at least now we know you're actually bs. Thanks for the laugh.

Reactions: Heath

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
no no hes not . skill wise maybe, but on paper his career his laughable compared to other sports best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad