Sidney Crosby dirty hit on Johnny Boychuk? - MOD WARNING POST #108

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I don't know what those thinking the hit warranted an interference penalty are really seeing. The puck was there within the reach of either player when the hit occurred. Crosby is entitled to protect his standing on the ice and he did just that. He beat Boychuck to the puck fair and square. These type of hits happen all the time in a hockey game, and they do not get called 100 % of the time. This particular hit was just so beautifully delivered and had a direct impact on the outcome of the game, so people overreact to it. If Boychuck wasn't beaten in such a dominant fashion or the hit didn't directly lead to the game winner, this would be a non-issue.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
If you showed me this hit before this thread, I would have thought it unfathomable that someone would actually consider this dirty.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Johnny is embarrassed that he got rocked by Crosby and it lead to a goal, its ok Johnny.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Boychuk had this to say: “It’s frustrating when you get elbowed in the head and that guy scores the goal. I’m sure if it was reversed, I’d be getting a phone call from the league and a suspension.”

The islanders coach echoed his sentiments by saying: “It was a high hit, no question. The disappointing thing is the official is right next to [Boychuk]. He didn’t even have the puck.”

Here is the hit

How many games for Crosby?

Where's the head shot?Must be the wrong vid.

Last edited:

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Not a single person can tell from that angle whether it was a clean hit or not. If it is like Boychuk says (elbow), it probably wouldn't be seen on a video from this angle.

I have know reason to believe why would Boychuk make this up. But cannot judge a hit from bad angle. Boychuk's reaction to the hit gives you the impression that something hit him high. If this hit was called Radko Gudas dirty hit on Boychuk, no one would have any problem with giving him ****.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
A hockey puck is a disk made of vulcanized rubber that serves the same functions in various games as a ball does in ball games. The best-known use of pucks is in ice hockey, a major international sport.

Exactly.No dirty hit and no interference. The puck is right there at their feet at contact.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not a single person can tell from that angle whether it was a clean hit or not. If it is like Boychuk says (elbow), it probably wouldn't be seen on a video from this angle.

I have know reason to believe why would Boychuk make this up. But cannot judge a hit from bad angle. Boychuk's reaction to the hit gives you the impression that something hit him high. If this hit was called Radko Gudas dirty hit on Boychuk, no one would have any problem with giving him ****.

Nah. That's as textbook a hit as you'll ever see.

If Boychuk has a problem with that hit, perhaps it's time he takes up golf or ping pong.

Some people are trying too hard to find something here. Boychuk got rocked, Crosby scored, Boychuk felt stupid, Boychuk whined, Crosby rolled his eyes and winked at Couture.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
It's not dirty, its interference.

2 mins in the box.

How so?

Lets call it for what it is: a classic example of a player being insanely salty after getting completely owned on a sequence. Had this hit not directly led to a goal right after then Boychuk wouldn't have ssaid so much as "boo" after the game.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
You could clearly tell Boychuk was in his head with all the chirping Crosby was doing between whistles.

:laugh: He was jawing at Clutterbuck. You got this badly wrong. Was the 8 year old video your backup plan?

Also, nevermind that it's wrong :laugh: at the idea the guy who was "in his head" got owned and had the GWG scored on him. Truly a master of the psychological

ramdm5

Jan 30, 2015
Sweden

Haha, oh ****! :sarcasm:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Die hard islanders fan and Pittsburgh hater. I'm shocked this is even a thread.
Boychuck should be embarrassed that he let Crosby knock him off balance like that.

They don't have many angles on the hit but from the ones I've seen it's not even close to being a dirty hit.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
No elbow there I can see. Maybe interference, but let's not suddenly act like Sid is the only guy benefitting from a lack of interference calls. This happens countless times a night; I honestly have no idea how the refs are deciding which ones to call

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
No elbow there I can see. Maybe interference, but let's not suddenly act like Sid is the only guy benefitting from a lack of interference calls. This happens countless times a night; I honestly have no idea how the refs are deciding which ones to call

Boychuk clearly plays the puck.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
It was a clean hit.

Crosby won the battle by the boards to move the puck. Boychuk simply wasn't ready for the clean shoulder to shoulder hit even though Crosby wasn't facing him when the hit took place. Looks like Boychuk just got turned around by the hit. I didn't see any elbow or if their was one it wasn't much of one.

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
I don't understand how you go for that puck without protecting yourself? It just looks interference because he's an idiot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad