Siblings with different handedness?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I read somewhere that the way you shoot is heavily determined by the sport you were taught first.

If you were taught to swing a baseball bat first, you learn to have your dominant hand closer to the point of contact, where as it's the opposite if you learned to shoot with a stick first.

This is why most Americans shoot the same way as their dominant hand. (Apparently)

I don't buy it. I'm right handed, and shoot left, but golf right, and bat switch (prefer left). It's just whatever feels natural.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
for the Staal brothers Eric, Marc and Jordan all shoot left but Jared shoots right... maybe thats why he sucks? He's holding his stick the wrong way!

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
My dad is a lefty and I am a righty.

I have a theory that most people out East are lefties and most people out West are righties

Me too. We're both right-handed, but I always figured I tried to "mirror" him when I was little.

:dunno:

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
Two guys I knew from school were twins both played a little bit in the OHL they had different handedness.

Gr8one

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary
Arguably the most accomplished siblings in NHL history were opposite handed,

Maurice Richard - Left
Henri Richard - Right

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I went to school with identical twins, one was lefty and one was righty. (talking about natural handed-ness. neither played hockey)

I think identical twins have a very high likelihood of having one lefty and one righty. According to wikipedia, about 10% of people are left handed. About 17% of people with a twin are left handed. About 21% of people with identical twins are left handed.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I think identical twins have a very high likelihood of having one lefty and one righty. According to wikipedia, about 10% of people are left handed. About 17% of people with a twin are left handed. About 21% of people with identical twins are left handed.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure that handedness in hockey is pretty much determined by how you first pick up a stick as a kid. There's no other rhyme or reason why in a world where 89% of people write with their right hand, that roughly 2/3 of hockey players shoot left.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Pavel Bure is left, Valeri Bure is right

4896-647Fr.jpg

Pietrangelbro

Jul 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
My dad and brother both shoot left and I shoot right.

I read on here a while back that there was a link found between playing baseball and handedness - If you played baseball before hockey, you are more likely to shoot right since your dominant hand will be on the bottom for power (assuming you're right handed). If you play hockey first or never play baseball, you're more likely to shoot left since it is more beneficial to have your dominant hand on top for control.

Out of my dad, my brother, and I, I was the only one to play baseball before hockey.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I'm pretty sure that handedness in hockey is pretty much determined by how you first pick up a stick as a kid. There's no other rhyme or reason why in a world where 89% of people write with their right hand, that roughly 2/3 of hockey players shoot left.

A lot of people that are right hand dominant feel more comfortable with their right hand on the top of the stick. Think about a defensemen poke checking a puck, a lot of times you'll only have one hand on the stick, would you want the stick in your 1 dominant hand or non dominant hand? It's just semantics that its called left handed because the stick is on the left side of your body.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
For the record. I write, throw, swing a tennis racket, and shoot a basketball, right handed. I swing a baseball bat, golf club, lacrosse stick, and hockey stick left handed. I need my dominant hand at the end of any type of swinging instrument.

And I learned hockey first but baseball at relatively the same time.

I can switch hit in baseball Ok, I can make solid contact either way but I definitely have way more power and it feels more natural lefty. I couldn't even begin to fathom trying to golf or play hockey righty though

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I thought this said siblings with different handshakes

I find that more likely than OP's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad