Siblings with different handedness?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
This is kind of a weird question but it popped in my mind when I was watching the DET/TB game and thought about the Smith brothers. Are there any siblings with different handedness?

So far I have the van Riemsdyk's brothers as an example of one being a lefty and the other a righty.

Evergreen

Luke Schenn - left-handed
Brayden Schenn - right-handed

Pavel Bure - left-handed
Valeri Bure - right-handed

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
My dad is a lefty and I am a righty.

I have a theory that most people out East are lefties and most people out West are righties

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I'm a righty and my brother is a lefty. It's actually quite common I think.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Damn, I really dropped the ball here :laugh: I thought that logically brothers would have the same handedness but it seems like it's more rare to have brothers who both do...

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I'm an identical twin. I'm right he's left. that's kinda crazy I think

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I read somewhere that the way you shoot is heavily determined by the sport you were taught first.

If you were taught to swing a baseball bat first, you learn to have your dominant hand closer to the point of contact, where as it's the opposite if you learned to shoot with a stick first.

This is why most Americans shoot the same way as their dominant hand. (Apparently)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I am one of 4 brothers. All of us are naturally right handed and right footed...

3 of us (me included) shoot right. (we are also righties with a cricket bat, baseball bat and tennis racket.)

The other brother shoots left. (he's a lefty in cricket and baseball as well, plays tennis right handed... but tbh he can play cricket and baseball and hockey right handed and is not much different, and he plays shots left handed at times in tennis. Cricket especially there is zero difference in how good he is with either hand. Pretty sure he is ambidextrous or a lefty forced to write with his right.)

My Dad is naturally left handed and left footed and shoots right. He can however write perfectly with his right, and is an artist and swaps hands at will depending on angle... truly ambidextrous.

For me my slapshot is 100 times better if I shoot left handed, but my wristhot is none existant playing as a lefty. Also my stickhandling is worse playing left handed, which is weird as my right is the better hand, so you would think that I would be better when holding a stick left handed.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'm right handed

My brother is left handed in everything except throwing a Frisbee...It's really kind of strange if you think about it

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Damn, I really dropped the ball here :laugh: I thought that logically brothers would have the same handedness but it seems like it's more rare to have brothers who both do...

Pretty sure handedness is not genetic. Also when it comes to hockey, there are different pros/cons to having your dominant arm on the top of the stick or the bottom. I don't think there's any real science behind it other than handing a kid his first stick and he'll pick the side that feels more comfortable. I have 3 brothers that went right but I went left, and we're all right handed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad