Siblings with different handedness?

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If your strong hand is right and you play right handed you usualy have more power when you shoot. If you are right handed and play with a left stick you can stickhandle better.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm ambidextrous, and my brother is a righty.

I'm ambidextrous myself, my sister is right handed. I eat with my left hand, write with my right hand, shoot right handed in hockey but can shoot from both sides pretty well. I've always had the theory that sometimes when you're ambidextrous you just gotta pick a side for whatever activity you're doing and go with it :laugh:

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011

Daniel is right handed while Henrik is left handed. But their stick handness is the same because I assume the parents wanted them to share the same sticks if possible.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
My identical twins - one shoots left and one shoots right. They are both right-hand dominant though.

Shooting is different than having a dominant hand. Holding a stick is just what feels natural. And having your dominant hand on top is definitely much better for stick handling. Having it on the bottom is much better for wristers. Even my 6yos prove that.

Also FYI, identical doesn't actually mean identical even in looks.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
This is kind of a weird question but it popped in my mind when I was watching the DET/TB game and thought about the Smith brothers. Are there any siblings with different handedness?

So far I have the van Riemsdyk's brothers as an example of one being a lefty and the other a righty.

I went to school with identical twins, one was lefty and one was righty. (talking about natural handed-ness. neither played hockey)

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
For those of you posting that you have a different handedness from your sibling, are you older or younger than your sibling?

I shoot right, and my brother shoots left (we're both right-handed, though). I'm the younger brother. My theory is that the younger brother takes on a different handedness in order to "keep up" with the older brother and maintain better control of the stick with motor skills that haven't developed to the level of the older brother.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I'm right handed

My brother is left handed in everything except throwing a Frisbee...It's really kind of strange if you think about it

That's exactly how I am. Righty for frisbee, beer pong, flipping pancakes, whisking, using a mouse, slappin fools... and lefty for everything else.

Pinchy

Oct 19, 2008
Its more common to have a right handed shot than a left.

I think its the opposite.

No it's not

This is not true. I played a game of pond hockey in rural Quebec and my cousin had to call half a dozen friends in order to find me a right handed stick

I read somewhere that the way you shoot is heavily determined by the sport you were taught first.

If you were taught to swing a baseball bat first, you learn to have your dominant hand closer to the point of contact, where as it's the opposite if you learned to shoot with a stick first.

This is why most Americans shoot the same way as their dominant hand. (Apparently)

Americans are more likely to shoot right and Canadians are more likely to shoot left. I think benjiv1 is probably right in the reasons why...makes sense at least.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/sports/olympics/16lefty.html

Habs Homer

Hello
Jan 24, 2013
Playa Del Carmen
Ok I know it's not related to the thread but I shoot left in hockey, but right in golf and baseball. Am i a freak or just when I was a kid my parents bought me the wrong stick?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Ok I know it's not related to the thread but I shoot left in hockey, but right in golf and baseball. Am i a freak or just when I was a kid my parents bought me the wrong stick?

no. i'm the same

except i was a switch hitter when i played baseball

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Mom has 7 siblings, 1 is left handed, 1 is left and right handed and the other 6 are right handed. Both me and my sister are right handed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad