Post-Game Talk: Shutout

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You can play weaker teams. Not sure if it's true or not.

Team at time today looked real good. There was times when we were moving the puck crisply and quickly. Seems very hit or miss though.

I guess?

But Jimmy has played against the Rangers, Sharks, Habs, Bruins, Blue Jackets, Oilers. It's not like he was only playing against the Coyotes and Avalanche.

Lgw

Feb 4, 2016
I didn't catch the game today as it wasn't a holiday in Canada but I have to say Jensen is beginning to impress me. His skating and offencive ability are better than I thought they would be. I personally think he deserves his spot in the lineup and is better than E, Smith and Kronwall at this point. Quellet has been pleasantly solid as well.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
The thing that is going to be excruciating is that Vanek has put himself in a prime position to generate a nice return for the Wings, only Holland will hold onto him and either lose him for nothing in free agency or sign him to an absurd contract extension. Green also has really good value right now, but he'll go nowhere.

Good win for Coreau. The Wings didn't give up much but he did what he needed to do and stopped the few decent chances he faced.
Holland better deal both FFS. It would be my dream if we got a first for Green, and traded a pick or two with vanek to get another first, then paired the firsts up to get a higher 1st and draft a dam good player. It would be nice to have say the 4th overall, and then say 11th overall. I can dream right....

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The Wings started 6-2. Now they're 19-19-6. They'll be back under .500 soon enough.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Holland better deal both FFS. It would be my dream if we got a first for Green, and traded a pick or two with vanek to get another first, then paired the firsts up to get a higher 1st and draft a dam good player. It would be nice to have say the 4th overall, and then say 11th overall. I can dream right....

holland-ken-4_3.jpg

"Yes, you can."

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It surprises me a bit that so many posters do not understand head to head goalie battles.
Did you check our record vs habs and pens?
Coreau is 5-1-1
Howard is 5-8-1

Coreau has 2 SOs in his 5 wins. Do you understand how huge this is.
And Howard despite all the stats can't keep a winning record for several seasons now. Howard plays super sheltered min, therefore his stats look good.
Howard clearly stole the game vs the rangers. But this win is far bigger in my books.
We go with the hot hand, Howard and Mrazek will have to take the place in the line behind Coreau.

Ok.

What kind of contract should we try to lock up Coreau to?
how many years?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
People are really getting hyped about the fact that Coreau is netting a few statistically-benevolent wins? Come on. You guys know better than that. Resist the rose-colored evaluations here. Coreau has been less-than adequate to slightly above average, but he isn't stealing any shows. He relies way too much on simply getting in front of pucks as opposed to controlling them and, before long, we'll be lamenting the fact that his record is keeping him in the starting column.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
People are really getting hyped about the fact that Coreau is netting a few statistically-benevolent wins? Come on. You guys know better than that. Resist the rose-colored evaluations here. Coreau has been less-than adequate to slightly above average, but he isn't stealing any shows. He relies way too much on simply getting in front of pucks as opposed to controlling them and, before long, we'll be lamenting the fact that his record is keeping him in the starting column.

I think his conservative playstyle makes it seem like he's not "working" for his wins. He's not out of position, usually, and doesn't scramble around in net. He's exactly the type of 6'6 goalie you want in today's league.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
If we're gonna win at least make it exciting

Rather just take the loss there

:) That was pretty bad. Felt like a meaningless game, 1 goal and the crowd seemed really boring/bored. Didn't live up to the "original 6 showdown" it was billed as. Almost tied the record for least shots in a game this season. I have to wonder if some teams play down to us. Montreal for sure wasn't as good as they could be. Poor ice conditions may be a factor, I don't know. Kelly Rhudey mentioned this on Saturday- January is the hardest month to compete in and remind yourself the games still matter.

Hopefully vs Boston is higher energy.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think his conservative playstyle makes it seem like he's not "working" for his wins. He's not out of position, usually, and doesn't scramble around in net. He's exactly the type of 6'6 goalie you want in today's league.

Well, I disagree. If you ask me, he is the opposite of the big goalie you want in today's league. He has evinced little to no flexibility or reaction. Your interpretation that, fortunately, excuses him of movement is the exact same factor I've pointed to when routine goals are scored against him. He is the classic, old-school example of a goalie who banks on getting in front of pucks. That's typically great short-term yet ephemeral once a team has the data to pick its spots against you.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I didn't catch the game today as it wasn't a holiday in Canada but I have to say Jensen is beginning to impress me. His skating and offencive ability are better than I thought they would be. I personally think he deserves his spot in the lineup and is better than E, Smith and Kronwall at this point. Quellet has been pleasantly solid as well.

Yeah, Jensen is impressing me. I like him the best out of our young d-men.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

I think it's a minority that are hyped, and out of them there are a few who clearly have a dislike for Mrazek/Howard for different reasons. Some of the commentary is a bit of playful trolling which is all good.

Gotta give credit to Coreau for the wins and shutouts though. If anything he brings good luck/positive vibes, whatever attribute he is helping the Wings. In no way could his performance be viewed as sustainable but for now I'm happy for him.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think it is safe to say Jensen will not clear waivers. He cannot go back to Grand Rapids without losing him. Going to be tough with Kronwall coming back.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think it is safe to say Jensen will not clear waivers. He cannot go back to Grand Rapids without losing him. Going to be tough with Kronwall coming back.

He's been probably the most consistent defenseman on the team lately. His skating is excellent.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Is this the Wings team that revives our hopes again, just to crush 'em vs. the Bruins? Great win though, we'll see if the latest trend is for real.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Ok.

What kind of contract should we try to lock up Coreau to?
how many years?

I am not good at this. I do not know the rules. But since we have 2 goalies tied to to around 10 M, while both struggle a lot at the time, one due to the injuries, the other can't find his groove, I would not think of signing Coreau.
For all we know he can turn out to be just a bit lucky. 7 games is nothing. He has been impressive in his 7 starts, though he had some rough periods. He was sacrificed vs the pens and his stats look very bad because of that game. He will be video studied and they will try to explore his weaknesses. But the team looked good and confident in front of him.
Look for the bruins to try to get him off of his game. It will be a big test for the team and him. I also think his great play will be very beneficial for Mrazek. The main reason Mrazek struggles is the pressure. Now as the pressure and the focus is not on him, he might find his game.

I think it's a minority that are hyped, and out of them there are a few who clearly have a dislike for Mrazek/Howard for different reasons. Some of the commentary is a bit of playful trolling which is all good.

Gotta give credit to Coreau for the wins and shutouts though. If anything he brings good luck/positive vibes, whatever attribute he is helping the Wings. In no way could his performance be viewed as sustainable but for now I'm happy for him.

Eh. As far as I see, I am the lone poster on this board praising Coreau. It is not a minority, it is one poster only.

And we actually managed to beat Price twice. The puck Abby deflected went through him, but to the side of the goal too.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
And we actually managed to beat Price twice. The puck Abby deflected went through him, but to the side of the goal too.

Well that's a weird ass argument for sure.

I guess Dekeyser beats goalies constantly, just it always happens to be to the side of the goal.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Well that's a weird ass argument for sure.

I guess Dekeyser beats goalies constantly, just it always happens to be to the side of the goal.

I did not word it correctly.
The Abby deflection was a better one, it went through Price, but somehow not in the goal, while the Vanek deflection was far outside and it hit Vanek behind, he did not even see the puck, it was not his stick, but it ended in the goal.
My point is that it is really hard to beat Price. Those deflections were almost perfect, yet he managed to track both. When AA got the breakaway, it looked like Price stopped him easily. I thought AA had to skate aside a bit to force Price to move. There is no chance scoring on him staring straight at him. He reads everything and moves well. The only chance is to skate diagonally and force him to move.

Btw, I thought this was one of Tatars best games.
Our 2 PP s
Unit was better than 1.
I see some people complain about Dekeyser being on PP, but when you play 4 forwards you have to have a dman there. I think Ouellet could be better there, but it could be too risky.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I thought DeKeyser handled himself well enough on the power play. He distributed the puck. He kept it in. He shot the puck. Now, before all of you guys start complaining that he's the worst PP guy ever, EVER, keep in mind how awful the regular guys are. The Green-run PP could barely get out of their own zone.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I personally love the sentiment and how quickly Mrazek went from up-and-coming kid where the sky was the limit, and he was sure to reach that limit, to the guy blocking the kid, Coreau, who obviously is on path to get 47 shutouts in a row.

Add in that Coreau is older than Mrazek, and it almost proves that people just love what they haven't seen much of yet, only because they haven't seen much of it yet

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I personally love the sentiment and how quickly Mrazek went from up-and-coming kid where the sky was the limit, and he was sure to reach that limit, to the guy blocking the kid, Coreau, who obviously is on path to get 47 shutouts in a row.

Add in that Coreau is older than Mrazek, and it almost proves that people just love what they haven't seen much of yet, only because they haven't seen much of it yet

OR we have already watched Mrazek play like garbage for 25 games straight and are getting tired of it and relieved that somebody finally stepped in to pick up a little of his slack.

If Mrazek wants to take an opportunity to start playing again like he did last year then I 100% support him in that.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I thought DeKeyser handled himself well enough on the power play. He distributed the puck. He kept it in. He shot the puck. Now, before all of you guys start complaining that he's the worst PP guy ever, EVER, keep in mind how awful the regular guys are. The Green-run PP could barely get out of their own zone.

I have said this several times before; if the staff is going to insist upon one defensemen playing on each PP units (not unreasonable), and Kronner is out hurt and Sproul doesn't play hard enough to break into the lineup, DDK is going to play on the PP.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Ken Holland will need to make a decision between Sproul and Jensen. One is going to get waived when the D gets healthy. Jensen will not clear, not a chance. Sproul might, but I doubt it he passes through without being claimed either.

I say waive Sproul.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

I am not people. I am just one. I see only me praising Coreau, while many other posters disagreeing with me. Anyhow, I agree with your statement.
All I am saying is ride the hot hand as far as you can and then when he fails, play Mrazek or Howard and see how it goes.
We have to help both Mrazek and Howard find their game.
OR we have already watched Mrazek play like garbage for 25 games straight and are getting tired of it and relieved that somebody finally stepped in to pick up a little of his slack.

If Mrazek wants to take an opportunity to start playing again like he did last year then I 100% support him in that.
The point is that the fans jump the gun, one bad game/season and you are done. It is not how it works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad