Post-Game Talk: Shutout

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Wins are not a stat to evaluate a goalie by.

There is no question Jimmy Howard has been the Wings best goalie this season, and that Coreau has been better than Mrazek. Until Howard comes back, Coreau should and probably will get the lions share of the starts unless Mrazek finds his game and takes the starters net from him.

When Jimmy returns the starting job is his, unless Mrazek steals it from him. Coreau is playing well but he's not even in the discussion. As soon as Howard is back, Jared will 100% be in Grand Rapids.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I give up. You win :help:
The problem is it was the same story with Gustavsson. Then Mrazek. Now Coreau.
You see. Is not 8 games, it is 4 seasons, 3 different goalies, but exactly the same story. The only problem is you can't see it. You can't see the forests for the trees.

This is so obvious that none of the knowledgeable posters bothered to engage in the discussion.
It is beating the dead horse to death about basic hockey.

okay

since it's so obvious and all please explain why it's Howard's fault that Coreau literally has almost 3 times as much goal support as he does this year

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Ideally we find a way to get rid of Howard this offseason and then find a cheap veteran to take his spot for the next couple years.

Howard is clearly the guy to move however there are many complicating factors:
  • He has an awful contract.
  • He's very, very injury prone.
  • He's incredibly inconsistent.

Then you factor in Mrazek is going through an awful sophomore slump and it's easy to see how Holland either wouldn't be able to move Howard or is so focused on the streak that he decided to hold onto Howard, despite Howard's track record of faltering down the stretch.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Howard is clearly the guy to move however there are many complicating factors:
  • He has an awful contract.
  • He's very, very injury prone.
  • He's incredibly inconsistent.

Then you factor in Mrazek is going through an awful sophomore slump and it's easy to see how Holland either wouldn't be able to move Howard or is so focused on the streak that he decided to hold onto Howard, despite Howard's track record of faltering down the stretch.

I think the hope is that Howard is grabbed by Vegas, but with how many decent goalies are likely to be available I doubt that happens. I think Howard becomes a buyout candidate, if we need the extra one to two million it would save us. More likely is that Holland does what he has to do to hang onto Mrazek and Howard for the duraction of Howard's contract and hopes Coreau is around to fill in for injuries, or that Patterson finds his game to the point of being an occasional fill-in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad