Post-Game Talk: Shrug

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Todd Mclellan got his reputation as a “good” coach riding the wave of a great team in SJ.

He now does not have that, and it reflects in his game plan, the standings, and the morale of the team.

Was always skeptical of him. Further reaffirmed this season.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Another Lucic rant - I'm not sure there's a worse winger on the Oilers right now when it comes to making a play to get the puck out of the Oilers defensive end than him. He can't even make a damn 2 foot breakout pass 75% of the time.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Todd Mclellan got his reputation as a “good” coach riding the wave of a great team in SJ.

He now does not have that, and it reflects in his game plan, the standings, and the morale of the team.

Was always skeptical of him. Further reaffirmed this season.

He can be okay if players can run the ship independently (ie. full of veterans) but when its a youngish team, he's garbage.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Another Lucic rant - I'm not sure there's a worse winger on the Oilers right now when it comes to making a play to get the puck out of the Oilers defensive end than him. He can't even make a damn 2 foot breakout pass 75% of the time.

I'm hoping for Quinn to go Harry Doyle on Lucic next time Remeda starts polishing his apple.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Apparently even Bob Stauffer was pretty heavy on the Lucic criticism last night.

When you have lost Bob you are really in the dirt.

I didn't like the Lucic contract because I thought it would be a horror story in the last 2 or three years. Not after 1 year.

He needs a brand new training program and a team of sports psychologists in the off-season.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
I think and said before alot of this lack of physical play and heart started to day right after the playoff game. When zack was hitting everything and the team was flying. Todd reigned them in and cooled that fire. Zack and the team have played soft ever since. Back to where we started a soft bus stop team

Reactions: Dan Kelly

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think and said before alot of this lack of physical play and heart started to day right after the playoff game. When zack was hitting everything and the team was flying. Todd reigned them in and cooled that fire. Zack and the team have played soft ever since. Back to where we started a soft bus stop team
Coaching is a major part of it. Coach has no passion, teams passion falters and he doesn't care.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As hard as it is to do I'll try for some positives.

Aberg playing his first game in a shitstorm of player suck in the midst of the 2nd period and trying to do whatever he could to get noted and playing a good game. Every credit. The kid couldn't have played better under the circumstance and it had to be hard. The kid getting a point on a nice feed and Pulju goal. Pulju smiling on the bench. I liked all that. There seemed to be some hope with these two.

Benning. I'm rarely full of praise for the player but what balls moments him standing up to Kane, going at two other Sharks and playing the rest of the game with tenacity. Really he needs to remind us more of this in his play but at least we know its there. Please uncork the ugly more often, release the Kraken, we sure need it.

Nurse. Man this guy. The season is a toxic bowl of shit and he does nothing but keep trying, keep playing hard, well, being physical and all in every game. Absolute respect.

Drai, bad game but I liked that he dished out lumber a few times even getting a penalty on one. We were losing this game anyway imo and I didn't mind him bringing some ugly.

Pakarinen. Always like this guy. Sharks got running around pounding people and he reminded that he wasn't going to take. it. gets hammered and proceeds to hammer the guy twice more in retribution and without taking a penalty. But I love the feisty Finn. Just love his all round game. Would be in my lineup every night. These are the players that care enough. With more talent he could be a Finnish Dustin Brown.

Larsson- He was all in on a night where the club didn't have it. I love the guy, really I do, and even more seeing what he's giving here in the worst time of his life.

McD, scores a goal, keeps trying, some good defensive plays and is trying to be positive. You could kind of see in moments he was thinking what a dramatic change this was from last spring.

Not much else but I'm glad to come up with that.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As hard as it is to do I'll try for some positives.

Aberg playing his first game in a ****storm of player suck in the midst of the 2nd period and trying to do whatever he could to get noted and playing a good game. Every credit. The kid couldn't have played better under the circumstance and it had to be hard. The kid getting a point on a nice feed and Pulju goal. Pulju smiling on the bench. I liked all that. There seemed to be some hope with these two.

Benning. I'm rarely full of praise for the player but what balls moments him standing up to Kane, going at two other Sharks and playing the rest of the game with tenacity. Really he needs to remind us more of this in his play but at least we know its there. Please uncork the ugly more often, release the Kraken, we sure need it.

Nurse. Man this guy. The season is a toxic bowl of **** and he does nothing but keep trying, keep playing hard, well, being physical and all in every game. Absolute respect.

Drai, bad game but I liked that he dished out lumber a few times even getting a penalty on one. We were losing this game anyway imo and I didn't mind him bringing some ugly.

Pakarinen. Always like this guy. Sharks got running around pounding people and he reminded that he wasn't going to take. it. gets hammered and proceeds to hammer the guy twice more in retribution and without taking a penalty. But I love the feisty Finn. Just love his all round game. Would be in my lineup every night. These are the players that care enough. With more talent he could be a Finnish Dustin Brown.

Larsson- He was all in on a night where the club didn't have it. I love the guy, really I do, and even more seeing what he's giving here in the worst time of his life.

McD, scores a goal, keeps trying, some good defensive plays and is trying to be positive. You could kind of see in moments he was thinking what a dramatic change this was from last spring.

Not much else but I'm glad to come up with that.
I agree with most of this.
Draisaitl can hold his own and really lay out punishment when you piss him off. I also find in games like this one he goes on a tear afterwards. He sort of reminds me of a younger Lucic in that way. If you get him physically engaged, you will pay all over the ice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree with most of this.
Draisaitl can hold his own and really lay out punishment when you piss him off. I also find in games like this one he goes on a tear afterwards. He sort of reminds me of a younger Lucic in that way. If you get him physically engaged, you will pay all over the ice.

It was Drais worst game though. He was angry, and making mistakes due to it. He lost the puck around 5 times and gained it back a few of those but he was forcing plays out of frustration. This is not his best mode. I like when he's icy calm. Him and McD get those looks and you know something is going to go down.

In anycase with these two its pretty much guaranteed that any adversity is just fuel in their bellies. But they're full up of it and need some other stuff in their diet. Hopefully Chia provides.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It was Drais worst game though. He was angry, and making mistakes due to it. He lost the puck around 5 times and gained it back a few of those but he was forcing plays out of frustration. This is not his best mode. I like when he's icy calm. Him and McD get those looks and you know something is going to go down.

In anycase with these two its pretty much guaranteed that any adversity is just fuel in their bellies. But they're full up of it and need some other stuff in their diet. Hopefully Chia provides.
To be fair...look who he was playing with. Makes sense that he was stressed out and making mistakes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To be fair...look who he was playing with. Makes sense that he was stressed out and making mistakes.

heh, oh I know.

My pregame comment was "I wonder if Drai can walk on water again tonight" Denoting miracle.

Whats your take on Rattie. Not enough to go on obviously but screaming Tweener to me. Another player that can get results in lower rungs of hockey but that doesn't have sufficient shot, or play in traffic to ever make it at this level. Of course Draisaitl gets him immediately, what else, lol

Aberg is clearly a vastly superior player to Rattie, and also Euro, but he doesn't get the Drasaitl start. go figure.

I don't think Rattie will be anything and just occupying a spot in what could be a time to give some other wingers topsix play.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The defence was a hot mess last night. Nurse struggled , and Sekera can't skate anymore. We really missed Russell out there, but with the others firing blanks, not much you can do.

Good on Benning for pushing back, but really, it showed the deficiencies in his game, with lack of size and skating ability. I will give him credit for manning up. Especially when none of the other big guys on this team never bothered.

The Looch contract is going to cost us players in the future. Good, solid, dependable players, that we can't afford to keep because of his cap hit. Really a shame.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
heh, oh I know.

My pregame comment was "I wonder if Drai can walk on water again tonight" Denoting miracle.

Whats your take on Rattie. Not enough to go on obviously but screaming Tweener to me. Another player that can get results in lower rungs of hockey but that doesn't have sufficient shot, or play in traffic to ever make it at this level. Of course Draisaitl gets him immediately, what else, lol

Aberg is clearly a vastly superior player to Rattie, and also Euro, but he doesn't get the Drasaitl start. go figure.

I don't think Rattie will be anything and just occupying a spot in what could be a time to give some other wingers topsix play.

How is Drai having Rattie on his line a bad thing? Look what McDavid has to put up with. Now, that is worth complaining about.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
heh, oh I know.

I don't know about Rattie. My issue is he has been killing it in the AHL and could use a shot up here.
What's the first thing that Todd does? Gives him hard top 6 minutes but also tries to limit his minutes?

Throw him on a 3rd pairing sheltered minutes until he adapts to the NHL speed and then you can see if you have something.

Just throwing him into the top 6 when he has had little practice time is an awful gauge.

I don't think he will ever really be anything though, but still, we aren't doing anything to really see what we have. Just throwing him to the wolves and asking him to go at it.

It's funny. Todd says they want to "ease" Aberg into it to make sure he is comfortable. Rattie? Nah, just throw him at it.

He seems to treat Euros and NA players very very different.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How is Drai having Rattie on his line a bad thing? Look what McDavid has to put up with. Now, that is worth complaining about.
Worst wingers in the league...

The defence was a hot mess last night. Nurse struggled , and Sekera can't skate anymore. We really missed Russell out there, but with the others firing blanks, not much you can do.

Good on Benning for pushing back, but really, it showed the deficiencies in his game, with lack of size and skating ability. I will give him credit for manning up. Especially when none of the other big guys on this team never bothered.

The Looch contract is going to cost us players in the future. Good, solid, dependable players, that we can't afford to keep because of his cap hit. Really a shame.
It already cost us Maroon unless he takes a discount...

Spoiler alert: He won't.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But being older means there might be a greater possibility of retiring before the contract is up. We have to look at all angles in this.:laugh:
Guy is as good as Mike Cammalleri right now. I much rather Lucic than a 6 million buck Mike Cammalleri.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Maroon would've taken care of Kane.. :sarcasm:

Kane is a tough guy and one of the best fighters in the league, so I doubt Maroon would have inflicted a lot of damage. But yes, he certainly would have engaged him.

But we all know the one tha2t SHOULD have engaged him played last night, and did nothing. But of course, he plays first line, with the best player in the league, top PP minutes, and in all important situations. He realizes he is too valuable to be removed from the ice for a 5 minute major.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Guy is as good as Mike Cammalleri right now. I much rather Lucic than a 6 million buck Mike Cammalleri.

I thought it was about Erickson, but if you want to compare to another player, then, okay. Cammalleri is likely close to retirement as well, so I would put him in the same focus as Erickson. And no. Lucic is not as good as Mike Cammalari right now. Not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad