Post-Game Talk: Shrug

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Well if we're not paying him to be tough what exactly are we paying him for?

Sure it's everyone's job but the big boys of this roster haven't played like big boys. And if they don't, why should anyone else?
It's hard to put the blame on the "tough guys" when they only make up of 3-4 players(Nurse, Kassian, Maroon, Lucic) of the roster. It's discouraging for anyone to constantly standing up for their teammates only for the others just standing there waiting for the bus. At least jump in and break up the fight.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Thought the Oilers played really well in the first.

That hit on Benning and the penalty call on Draitsaitl changed the game. The lack of call there was ridiculous. The coach and team showed no heart after the hit either (honestly they are probably all just sick of the season at this point).

The seasons over. This should be a period to see what young guys are capable of. Put them in situations dont punish them for making mistakes. Try to have as much fun as possible. Problem is that TM thinks hes coaching for his job, and doesnt care about developing young players properly. Coaching staff should of got fired earlier in the season or the GM should be telling the coach, who he wants played now that the season is over. Just a lack of communication between GM and coach basically all year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's hard to put the blame on the "tough guys" when they only make up of 3-4 players(Nurse, Kassian, Maroon, Lucic) of the roster. It's discouraging for anyone to constantly standing up for their teammates only for the others just standing there waiting for the bus. At least jump in and break up the fight.
I dunno, I think getting paid millions of dollars and having good friends would be a good encouragement. Not to mention trying to win a hockey game.

You don't need an entire team of tough guys, but if your tough guys aren't playing tough then you're SOL.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Almost the entire reason we have lucic is so he can beat up a guy who does what was done to benning. That is his major function. I would not doubt that our dumbass coaches are telling any of our tough guys to no initiate because we might take a penalty.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I found it pretty amusing when Lucic was yelling at the bench trying to get the guys going. I appreciate the thought Lucic...but somebody shoud have put a mirror in front of him

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
HEADS UP - TOXIC DEPRESING POST

Nobody was paying attention on the bench when Lucic was yelling either.
Back to square zero with team identity, team unity, team concept, team engagement, team care.

Players giving up on each other and not having their teammates backs.
Coach refusing to allow emotion into the game when it's plain that would be a strength of our particular market.
GM pissing away assets and still at the helm this offseason to likely lose more trades and bring crap, expiring support like Lucic.
Owner knows we'll keep tuning in to see McDavid and are too loyal to stop watching, so he can sit pretty.

Same old story.

I apologize for the downer post, last night's game was something of a back breaker for my spirit.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I stopped watching at 4-1. Watching the highlights at least Aberg and that line had a pretty good play on the goal.
At 1-1 because I knew where this was headed. Decided as well I didn't want to see another NHL game with dismal officiating. But watched the 2nd period later and it was a combination of bad goaltending and dismal coverage and countless turnovers. Drais worst game of the season particularly but most were bad. The Oilers gap control was not the same as it was in last 3 games. Their attention to detail and numbers back was not as focused. Sharks had way more open ice than our opponents had in last 3 games.

This is another one of what we've seen all season. Team wins a game or a few and then follows up with a stinker. There was no involvement, passion, or intensity in this game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
At 1-1 because I knew where this was headed. Decided as well I didn't want to see another NHL game with dismal officiating. But watched the 2nd period later and it was a combination of bad goaltending and dismal coverage and countless turnovers. Drais worst game of the season particularly but most were bad. The Oilers gap control was not the same as it was in last 3 games. Their attention to detail and numbers back was not as focused. Sharks had way more open ice than our opponents had in last 3 games.

This is another one of what we've seen all season. Team wins a game or a few and then follows up with a stinker. There was no involvement, passion, or intensity in this game.
Ahhh the classic Oiler cycle. Inspire hope for a few games then completely crush it while the blood of the team's removed hearts drips into the swirling drain of despair.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Back to square zero with team identity, team unity, team concept, team engagement, team care.

Coach refusing to allow emotion into the game when it's plain that would be a strength of our particular market.
GM pissing away assets and still at the helm this offseason to likely lose more trades and bring crap, expiring support like Lucic.
Owner knows we'll keep tuning in to see McDavid and are too loyal to stop watching, so he can sit pretty.

Same old story.

I apologize for the downer post, last night's game was something of a back breaker for my spirit.

But who would. This is the difficulty with imposed illegitimate leadership. People don't follow leaders that don't lead.

So much wrong with the Lucic hire, contract, performance, and that he was immediately made an associate Captain before playing one game here.

The irony is we traded one of the leaders away yesterday that has never got much respect from the team and that consistently devalued his worth while continuing to pretend that Lucic was better, or offered more, or was a bigger part of the team.

I'm pretty wrecked that viewing the Oilers now is without Patrick Maroon and so that one of the handful of players here that is a joy is taken away.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Same old story.

Yesterday was 2011-2012 Oilers except with McDavid and Drai

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ahhh the classic Oiler cycle. Inspire hope for a few games then completely crush it while the blood of the team's removed hearts drips into the swirling drain of despair.

You're getting too morosely poetic. heh. I recommend a prescription of 4 LA KINGS playoff games and call me in May when they win in the first round.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Without Maroon, Kassian, and Letestu.. thats alot of character and leadership gone from the bench. The Oiler bench just looked so dead and quiet last night. Maybe that's what prompted Lucic to do what he did.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're getting too morosely poetic. heh. I recommend a prescription of 4 LA KINGS playoff games and call me in May when they win in the first round.
What, you're saying they'll sweep the Sharks? ;)

I wish I had watched the Preds/Jets game last night. Sounded like a doozy.

At least if they were going to have a stinker it was going to be against a California team. Can't imagine too many Flame fans were pleased.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
So the oscillation between the Oilers needing character or skill players has now swung the other way? Ideally the team needs players that possess both attributes, and yet such players aren't available and/or cheap to acquire.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What, you're saying they'll sweep the Sharks? ;)

I wish I had watched the Preds/Jets game last night. Sounded like a doozy.

At least if they were going to have a stinker it was going to be against a California team. Can't imagine too many Flame fans were pleased.

Kings served notice to the Knights last couple nights. That if they face them it won't be any easy out. Who knows if Kings finish wildcard or 3rd in division.

Teams that wouldn't want to face the Kings in first round are Winnipeg, Vegas, Minny. All would lose to them imo. Just based on playoff savvy and experience. A McLellan run Sharks would of course lose but Deboer has changed that fortune.

Not sure why I'm talking about playoffs, heh, but anything is better than discussing this club or game. The org doesn't care, I'm trying unsuccessfully not to.

Last night while turning the game off I tried to psych myself up to not watching anymore. I don't have the commitment to stick to that yet. Maybe they'll give me further motivation..

birchy

Jun 30, 2014

Same old story.

I miss Matt Hendricks.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kings served notice to the Knights last couple nights. That if they face them it won't be any easy out. Who knows if Kings finish wildcard or 3rd in division.

Teams that wouldn't want to face the Kings in first round are Winnipeg, Vegas, Minny. All would lose to them imo. Just based on playoff savvy and experience. A McLellan run Sharks would of course lose but Deboer has changed that fortune.

Not sure why I'm talking about playoffs, heh, but anything is better than discussing this club or game. The org doesn't care, I'm trying unsuccessfully not to.

Last night while turning the game off I tried to psych myself up to not watching anymore. I don't have the commitment to stick to that yet. Maybe they'll give me further motivation..
There was a point where I just put the game on my phone and listened while playing some video games. After Benning got drilled I knew it was going to be one of those games.

I have to hand it to the Oilers though. My gaming backlog has dwindled significantly this season and I have them to thank for it.

Who do we play next? Oh goodie it's Nashville. That team we haven't beaten since before McDavid was drafted. Where's that Preds killer when you need him?

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
But who would. This is the difficulty with imposed illegitimate leadership. People don't follow leaders that don't lead.

So much wrong with the Lucic hire, contract, performance, and that he was immediately made an associate Captain before playing one game here.

The irony is we traded one of the leaders away yesterday that has never got much respect from the team and that consistently devalued his worth while continuing to pretend that Lucic was better, or offered more, or was a bigger part of the team.

I'm pretty wrecked that viewing the Oilers now is without Patrick Maroon and so that one of the handful of players here that is a joy is taken away.

Like most of Chiarelli's influence, bringing in Lucic was forced and unnecessary. The leadership is fabricated at this point.
All his body language suggests the most important thing to him is breaking his goal scoring slump. There's no big picture. Leadership would've recognized the need for a response after what happened to Benning. Pisses me off the coach is basically enabling this situation too.

I would take Maroon 10 times out of 10 over Lucic, but we can thank the contract genie for that not being plausible.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Like most of Chiarelli's influence, bringing in Lucic was forced and unnecessary. The leadership is fabricated at this point.
All his body language suggests the most important thing to him is breaking his goal scoring slump. There's no big picture. Leadership would've recognized the need for a response after what happened to Benning. Pisses me off the coach is basically enabling this situation too.

I would take Maroon 10 times out of 10 over Lucic, but we can thank the contract genie for that not being plausible.

Lucic has two pucks magically bounce right too him last night and one was just an easy finish, easy as they come at this level and he rings it off the post on a wide open net. But what strikes me in his play is how often he is in a simple upright position. He's not got his stick on the ice, he's not set, he's around the net, a shot is fired and he's not even bothered to be in a set position for a rebound despite the likelihood of one coming his way being good. So that his shot attempt is out of form. ALWAYS.

Can a player that has played the game for over 20yrs be so out of his head that he's basically forgotten how to play his position? He's rarely prepared for a shot or rebound. If a person played tennis like this, always upright, never prone, you'd rarely return a volley. Half the battle is being in a set prepared position and being prepared to make a shot. lucic NEVER is.

I can't imagine how nobody has brought this to his attention. Any rookie would be told to remember to get their blade on the ice and be set when shots are fired or a rush is happening as the puck might come.

I suggest anybody look at the difference between Draisaitls defined shot preparedness mechanics and Lucics (non existent) When Drai has a one timer pass headed his way he's totally set before the pass comes to get that baby off in an instant. Again Lucic never is.

But the same Lucic, who can't ever be bothered to bear down on a shot (scoring goals doesn't even excite him) is exorting the bench to get in the game. I actually got a bit angry seeing that. What a f***ing poser. Lucic might be lying to himself. Nobody else on the team is buying his shit.

You want player cancer, its right there.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad