shremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The Edmonton Oilers franchise is such a great place for Rob to be going to. It's almost the perfect situation.

1) The Oilers play such a high tempo, energy style. It goes hand in hand with Rob's ability to create offense. It also allows him to be creative and to use his god given abilities.

2) The Oilers are a team that asks their forwards to comit at both ends of the ice. However, because of this a lot of the forwards are already responsible defensively. Therefore Rob will be able to work and learn from his peers and be able to slowly become better. If he screws up on his coverage, he'll no doubt have someone on his line such as Ryan Smyth, Ethan Moreau, Radek Dvorak (if he comes back), Raffi Torres, Fernando Pisani, the list goes on, that can cover him.

3) The Oilers currently lack someone of Rob's nature up the middle. With Comrie's departure (and even when he was still there) the Oilers have always seemed to lack a significant first line scoring center. A no doubter, if you will.

These three facts, coupled with Rob's fire and desire to make this team, make him a good bet to actually accomplish that.

And if he accomplishes that, I wouldnt exactly expect a lack luster season, where he'd spend time cruising the 4th line in search of minutes. If he makes this team its because the Oilers want him to be creating offense on a top line.

To be honest, if there is an NHL season next year, I actually expect Schremp to make the team, at least for the 10 game tryout period.

db23

Schremp is a New York kid who loves life in the fast lane. He'll be trying to get his butt out of Edmonton after a month.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
db23 said:
Schremp is a New York kid who loves life in the fast lane. He'll be trying to get his butt out of Edmonton after a month.

yes because Fulton is such a booming metropolis :dunno:

db23

Aki Fan said:
yes because Fulton is such a booming metropolis :dunno:

No way for a talented young athlete to ever find a way to get to the Big Apple on a Friday night, either. :dunno:

I doubt any serious scouts predicted him to go before #25 overall. He was the 10th rated North American prospect by Central Scouting and those ratings came in before he went missing in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
db23 said:
No way for a talented young athlete to ever find a way to get to the Big Apple on a Friday night, either. :dunno:

considering where Fulton is in NY (www.mapquest.com), the fact that he is just recently 18 (look up the driving restrictions in NY on your own) and has more than likely spent about 90% of his life playing hockey -- odds are slim to none

db23 said:
I doubt any serious scouts predicted him to go before #25 overall. He was the 10th rated North American prospect by Central Scouting and those ratings came in before he went missing in the playoffs.

if that isnt one of the most asanine assumptions I have ever read on these boards, not sure what is

Last edited:

db23

It's a pointless argument, but if Schremp even spent 10% of his actual time at the rink playing hockey, I would be surprised. Add to that the fact that a lot of teams and tournaments would be located in and around NYC.

db23

Aki Fan said:
considering where Fulton is in NY (www.mapquest.com), the fact that he is just recently 18 (look up the driving restrictions in NY on your own) and has more than likely spent about 90% of his life playing hockey -- odds are slim to none

if that isnt one of the most asanine assumptions I have ever read on these boards, not sure what is

Kyle Chipchura was rated 4th among N.A. prospects and was drafted 18th overall.

Dave Bolland was rated 8th among N.A. prospects, was a teammate and linemate of Schremp and clearly outplayed him in the playoffs after the rankings came out. He was drafted #32 overall.

Rob Schremp was rated 10th overall in N.A. prior to the OHL 7th and deciding playoff game in which his well experienced and respected junior coach SAT HIS LAZY ASS ON THE BENCH BECAUSE HE WAS HURTING HIS TEAM ON THE ICE.

So, he is a "steal" at #25? Give me a break.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
db23 said:
It's a pointless argument, but if Schremp even spent 10% of his actual time at the rink playing hockey, I would be surprised. Add to that the fact that a lot of teams and tournaments would be located in and around NYC.

exactly - a pointless argument, as all you are doing is making ludicrous assumptions based on your own fantasies of what players do in their free time, about geography and so called teams and tournaments. if you dont like the player, just ignore the post

db23

Aki Fan said:
exactly - a pointless argument, as all you are doing is making ludicrous assumptions based on your own fantasies of what players do in their free time, about geography and so called teams and tournaments. if you dont like the player, just ignore the post

Some Oiler fan started this thread hoping to hear that drafting Schremp at #25 was some sort of grand larceny. That is not true in any fashion and I think I have every right to point out why.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
db23 said:
Rob Schremp was rated 10th overall in N.A. prior to the OHL 7th and deciding playoff game in which his well experienced and respected junior coach SAT HIS LAZY ASS ON THE BENCH BECAUSE HE WAS HURTING HIS TEAM ON THE ICE.

And gave talented Hunter related players Dylan, Logan and Rick Steadman his playing time.

db23

Brock said:
And gave talented Hunter related players Dylan, Logan and Rick Steadman his playing time.

I guess he just didn't care whether his team won or lost, so he didn't bother to play the best players that night. Happens all the time in the final game of a playoff series. That is how those coaches keep their jobs for so long.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
db23 said:
Some Oiler fan started this thread hoping to hear that drafting Schremp at #25 was some sort of grand larceny. That is not true in any fashion and I think I have every right to point out why.

so based on your dillusions, Schremp was out partying all the time, jaunting to NYC on the weekends, and playing in tourneys near NYC which made it easier, resulting in his drop in the draft,. care to provide proof besides biased libel?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
db23 said:

Your entitled to your opinion, but you went about it in totally the wrong ways.

If you want to be taken seriously, then just state your opinion without making other crap up about Schremp being a NY boy and wanting out of Edmonton in 2 months. Or making rediculous claims that cant be backed up with anything substantial.

You can believe that Schremp won't be an NHL regular, you wouldnt be alone in that argument with this thread. Thats why this thread was created.

db23

The standard line about Schremp is that he may be a bit of a jerk but he backs up his mouth with his play on the ice. Getting benched in a key playoff game is not backing up your mouth with your play on the ice. It is the exact opposite of that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
db23 said:

Schremp is a rinkrat who loves the game more than anything. That much HAS been documented.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
db23 said:
The standard line about Schremp is that he may be a bit of a jerk but he backs up his mouth with his play on the ice. Getting benched in a key playoff game is not backing up your mouth with your play on the ice. It is the exact opposite of that.

Find me someone that called him a jerk. Honestly. All his teamates say he was great to play with. Do you know something they don't?

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
There are several stories about Robbie Schremp, none of which I'm going to go into here as there are no links nor credible media sources saying them, so we'll just leave it at that. For this arguement, his 'attitude problems' really don't bother me.

The Bolland vs. Schremp arguement continues on and actually I think it Bolland slipped far too low to be honest. Bolland is around the same size as Schremp and not all *that* far behind in skill, but he makes up for it for his tenaciousness.

However, I can say this with a credible source (if you know anyone connected with the Oilers & the draft, they will tell you it to):

The Edmonton Oilers would have selected Kris Chucko with the #25 pick had he not gone to Calgary at #24.

But will Schremp become a player? Time will tell. There are a lot of issues with Schremp and he was a very high-risk pick. The Oilers have enough depth on the farm to take risks now and again though.

Its funny you say that, because we had a serious run in with shremp at the draft. And we have a long story, that im not going to tell , because I dont want to upset edmonton fans or a member of the schremp family who i think one of them posts on the edmonton board.

Just in short, the shremps are very nice people. Excentric, Arrogant, yes, but weirdly hospitable at the same time. But thats not where the problems lie. After being around them, Do I think shremp has baggage?, very much so. Im not sure his problems are enough to hinder his career. But they would be enough to warrant him being drafted where he was.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Barnaby said:
You can downplay the doubts all you want, but if their truly were no doubts then Shremp would have easily gone in the top 10.

Not denying there were doubts. Just questioning their validity

db23

As a Habs fan, I was hoping they would draft him up to the point of seeing him benched in the playoffs. That was the huge red flag for me. I think players can do or say what they want off the ice as long as they don't harm anyone else, but they have to "fit in" on the ice. That is the whole point of the exercise. It is a team sport and each player has to work toward that end under the direction of the coach. Being benched in such a crucial game was a serious statement.

On the other hand Rob is so colorful and quotable, you probably got good value at #25 in P.R. alone, even if he never plays a game in the league. If Schremp even has one good year, which he probably will, the pick justifies itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
db23 said:
As a Habs fan, I was hoping they would draft him up to the point of seeing him benched in the playoffs. That was the huge red flag for me. I think players can do or say what they want off the ice as long as they don't harm anyone else, but they have to "fit in" on the ice. That is the whole point of the exercise. It is a team sport and each player has to work toward that end under the direction of the coach. Being benched in such a crucial game was a serious statement.

On the other hand Rob is so colorful and quotable, you probably got good value at #25 in P.R. alone, even if he never plays a game in the league. If Schremp even has one good year, which he probably will, the pick justifies itself.
If you have some inside information on why Schremp was benched in the playoffs please share.(And I think earlier in the thread you used "Lazy")

Do you know why he was benched?

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
topshelf331 said:
Its funny you say that, because we had a serious run in with shremp at the draft. And we have a long story, that im not going to tell , because I dont want to upset edmonton fans or a member of the schremp family who i think one of them posts on the edmonton board.

Just in short, the shremps are very nice people. Excentric, Arrogant, yes, but weirdly hospitable at the same time. But thats not where the problems lie. After being around them, Do I think shremp has baggage?, very much so. Im not sure his problems are enough to hinder his career. But they would be enough to warrant him being drafted where he was.
I played a year of jr. A with him, that means i was with him day in and day out, u prob met him once. Im not a edm fan but i know Robbie is a great kid, and for u to even mention the kids family in that way shows how much class u have. It sounds like ur the one with the problem.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
What I find laughable is so many people are judging Schremp based on off-ice conduct. I can understand that way of thinking in the pre-draft process, but he's an Oiler now, and it's very clear he has the desire and skill-level to be an impact NHL player. That's all that matters. Maturity as a person will come.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
pucks1 said:
I played a year of jr. A with him, that means i was with him day in and day out, u prob met him once. Im not a edm fan but i know Robbie is a great kid, and for u to even mention the kids family in that way shows how much class u have. It sounds like ur the one with the problem.

Yes, Yes, topshelf, how dare you speak about an incedent that occured w/ the Schremps. Damn first hand knowledge :speechles We only want to see rumors written by hack reporters. :banghead:

X-SHARKIE

Rabid Ranger said:
What I find laughable is so many people are judging Schremp based on off-ice conduct. I can understand that way of thinking in the pre-draft process, but he's an Oiler now, and it's very clear he has the desire and skill-level to be an impact NHL player. That's all that matters. Maturity as a person will come.

Agreed, Although I can't look down upon any Gm who passed him up. In fact when the Sharks moved up to 22, I didn't want them to take Robbie Schremp. I think Schremps attitude might serve him well down the road, but he does have some growing up to do, but I somewhat like his confidence and his approach to the game. I'm not worried about his size being a factor but only so many smaller guys who don't have good wheels seem to make it in the NHL these days. Sure you can point out the Adam Oates and the Mike Ricci's ect. but I think Schremp really fell because of his skating as well.

Still, simply put, Schremp at 25 in a average draft class was a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad