Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
ciggyboy said:
Sounds alot like corey locke to me minus the attitude problems

Well, Locke have a lion heart. He will do anything to help is team. I don't think he's shy in traffic and he play bigger then he is. He was twice the OHL scoring champion and he was a fourth round selection. Don't sound to much like Shremp...

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Well, Locke have a lion heart. He will do anything to help is team. I don't think he's shy in traffic and he play bigger then he is. He was twice the OHL scoring champion and he was a fourth round selection. Don't sound to much like Shremp...

What I mean is its sound like he has the same physical attributes,--small in size
not the best skater, with an amazing skillset so why is schremp a first round pick
and locke a fouth???

db23

Schremp is miles ahead of Locke at a comparable stage. I'm a Habs fan, but I'll be the first to admit that. First of all, there is a big differnece between 5-9, 175, and 5-11, 200. Secondly, Locke had 50 OHL points when he turned 18, Schremp already has 150.

This thread was about whether Schremp was picked later than he should have been. My feeling is no, not really, but be the same token I wouldn't try to diminsih Schremps's assets or say he should have been a 3rd round pick or anything. The poster who brought up Tim Connolly is right on the button. Connolly matured really early as a player, he had two similar seasons to Schremp in the OHL, then stepped right into the NHL, but he hasn't improved much since. That is what I'm sure a lot of the scouts were thinking when they rated Schremp.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
eddy said:
They take attitude in account alot today, as they should and Schremps attitude just isn't great. I can see him being another trouble making superstar in the NHL, moving from team to team because of bad relationships with coaches, owernership ect. but who knows maybe he'll mature a bit. Though theres no dought he is extremely skilled!

I can understand the apprehension of some NHL GM's, but to slip to 25th? He is only 18 years old, and maybe has got some bad advice over the years, but to pass on such a gifted young man in a very weak draft just makes no sense to me. I like Schremp and I am hoping he can prove all of these nay sayers wrong. I think he was a steal at 25, and even if he has attitude, if put in the right situation he could learn to keep it in check, and prove to be one of the top picks in this draft year. Ultimately, when you draft someone with his kind of upside, you want results on the ice. If he can learn to be a real team player and model citizen, that is all gravy! He will undoubtedly face adversity when his time comes to play in the NHL, but I think he will shine for the Oilers very soon, and continue to do so for a very long time.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
db23 said:
Schremp is miles ahead of Locke at a comparable stage. I'm a Habs fan, but I'll be the first to admit that. First of all, there is a big differnece between 5-9, 175, and 5-11, 200. Secondly, Locke had 50 OHL points when he turned 18, Schremp already has 150.

This thread was about whether Schremp was picked later than he should have been. My feeling is no, not really, but be the same token I wouldn't try to diminsih Schremps's assets or say he should have been a 3rd round pick or anything. The poster who brought up Tim Connolly is right on the button. Connolly matured really early as a player, he had two similar seasons to Schremp in the OHL, then stepped right into the NHL, but he hasn't improved much since. That is what I'm sure a lot of the scouts were thinking when they rated Schremp.

db23, you are right on the money with your comments. Further than that is the Patrick O'Sullivan comparison of a year ago. Here is a kid who plays well at both ends of the ice, has shown leadership and great skill, but because of his off ice situation, he slipped way down from where he probably should have gone. Why? GM's are so worried about a distraction in the dressing room, and a bad apple might spoil the bunch scenario that they pass up talent for a guy who gets along with everybody. Bertuzzi, Tkachuk, Roenick, Primeau, and many others at that same point in their careers, when they were drafted, very young, cocky, but all budding superstars. Would you not take any of these players on your team today? I understand that when drafted you can't accurately predict with any real conviction who will become a superstar, or how long it may take, but the same is true about Schremp, and O'Sullivan. Taken lower then they should have been and for reasons that may not be accurate, or have anything to do with their on ice ability.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
db23 said:

Not to mention Robbie and Timmy both played for the Syracuse Crunch, but i know Shremp will make a bigger name for himself in the show, as for attitude he is cocky but he can back it up with skill. Edm did get the steal of the draft.. just wait and see.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
db23 said:
Edmonton was looking for a forward in the draft going in. Lowe acknowledged that. He had his eye on Drew Stafford, but Stafford went one pick before the Oiler's. If he thought that Schremp was going to be that great, he would have taken him at #14. Instead they took Devan Dubnyk, who was the third rated goaltender, even though the Oilers are relatively deep in net. For the Oiler fans trying to convince themselves that Schremp was a major steal at #25, there isn't much evidence to back it up.

I believe that what Mr. Pendergast said when asked about their 1st round selections was very revealing. He said that once they lost out to Buffalo on Drew Stafford, they changed their mindset a little. Obviously he was the guy they wanted, but with Dubnyk sitting there they had a decision to make. He said that by them passing on Schremp at 14, (who many believed was the best forward at that point) they took a calculated risk and chose him at 25. Pendergast said that everyone felt the Oilers would take Schremp at 14, but by passing on him it made the rest of the teams all the more weary and ultimately he was there at 25 for their next pick. Any way you cut it the Oilers made out like bandits in that 1st round.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
windowlicker said:
Kevin Prendergast stated that Chucko was the guy they wanted and thought should still be available at 25. They never banked on Schremp being around at 25, which is why they took him. If Chucko is still there at 25, Schremp still gets selected IMO. (Although per Kevin, the Oil were ready to call a time-out before announcing the 25th selection).

My little bird said that they had Chucko ahead of Schremp. But I suppose it's not all that important. Schremp could be a good scoring line guy, and at #25 I certainly don't have a problem with that pick.

mowthecat

Uh huh

Vlad The Impaler said:
There are no priorities stated. 5'11 is small. That is a fact, which was pointed out.

The 200 pounds is actually worrisome based on reports from the combine. Doesn't look like it's muscle.

Anything else?

Quick. Someone tell the NHL to erase Bryan Trottiers, Denis Savards,Pat Lafontaines, and Steve Yzermans careers cause they're too small. :shakehead

mowthecat

db23 said:
Instead they took Devan Dubnyk, who was the third rated goaltender, even though the Oilers are relatively deep in net. For the Oiler fans trying to convince themselves that Schremp was a major steal at #25, there isn't much evidence to back it up.

The evidence will be in his career. Case closed.

Way to discredit yourself though. Oilers deep in net?

Every team has an opinion and the Oilers had Dubnyk rated as the #2 goalie in the draft, scouted him extensively,and got their man. Thank gawd it was Stafford which would have been a total homer pick and something the Oilers need to get away from.

CSS didnt hold the Schremp soap opera against him when they considered rankings? Puhleeze.

Nobody thought Tukonen would drop to where he did either but it happens when teams are looking for specifics. Lets put it this way. If Phoenix management werent brain dead thay could have had Wheeler AND Tukonen. Edmonton did well to get Shremp where they did,

Last edited:

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
infinitesadd said:
No, I'm comparing important games where young players where sat. Next time read what I said.

Dude you missed the point, what he was getting at was the fact that Spezza and Pitkanen are rookies at the NHL level and their teams felt they weren't ready for certian situations in the NHL playoffs. Schremp is considered a veteran player in junior hockey, he's one of the most important players on his team and was still benched in the playoffs in the OHL. Something you don't see at all when it comes to junior hockey players of that caliber.

You just can't compare the fact that two guys were sat in the NHL playoffs to a junior hockey player being benched in the playoffs.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
mowthecat said:
Quick. Someone tell the NHL to erase Bryan Trottiers, Denis Savards,Pat Lafontaines, and Steve Yzermans careers cause they're too small. :shakehead

No one is denying the fact that smaller players can't excel at the NHL level but I'm sure you can find many smaller players who exceled in junior hockey and turned out to be nothing at the NHL level.

mowthecat

TJF said:
Dude you missed the point, what he was getting at was the fact that Spezza and Pitkanen are rookies at the NHL level and their teams felt they weren't ready for certian situations in the NHL playoffs. Schremp is considered a veteran player in junior hockey, he's one of the most important players on his team and was still benched in the playoffs in the OHL. Something you don't see at all when it comes to junior hockey players of that caliber.

You just can't compare the fact that two guys were sat in the NHL playoffs to a junior hockey player being benched in the playoffs.

Considered a veteran player but just turned 18 July1. Interesting.

Puts up 74 points as a 16 year old and 69 as a 17 year old albeit with 5 fewer games played. Sounds like a real bum to me.

Last edited:

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
outKast said:
Oboiusly. Schremp is the most offesnsively gifted player in the draft behind Ovechkin and Malkin. I really do hate his cocky attitude but he's a pretty damn good player.

Daigle was also a very good player who was cocky :help: I really want Schremp to suceed!

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Buffaloed said:
Take away Shremp's baggage and you got Tim Connolly.

I'd take a healthy Conolly! Conolly with good line mates would be excellent! Conolly sees the ice well, and is a great playmaker!

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
TJF said:
No one is denying the fact that smaller players can't excel at the NHL level but I'm sure you can find many smaller players who exceled in junior hockey and turned out to be nothing at the NHL level.

This is true! However, there are far more teams that have been disappointed with choosing a big guy expecting him to step in, and he cannot play the game. If the league some how manages to get rid of the clutching and grabbing, the game will tailor made for skaters. Many big guys who were chosen because of their size will be watching from the pressbox. What I do not understand about this draft is if everyone and their Mom were in agreement that after the top 2 guys this was a crapshoot, then why take a player who is decent over a guy with such tremendous skill and upside? It was a weak draft, so take a chance and take the kid with great skill...Schremp!

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
mowthecat said:
Considered a veteran player but just turned 18 July1. Interesting.

Puts up 74 points as a 16 year old and 69 as a 17 year old albeit with 5 fewer games played. Sounds like a real bum to me.

Well considering the fact that junior hockey player range between the ages of 16-20 and him being 18 with two years under his belt he is a veteran by junior hockey standards.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Seachd said:
Apparently he's in a lot better shape than some people think:

"Labelled cocky and arrogant by some, the five-foot-11, 197-pound pivot knocked the socks off fitness consultant Daryl Duke with the shape he's in. Duke doesn't impress easily."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2004/07/28/560335.html

Good to hear, at least.

Schremp is going to do everything he can to make the Oilers this year. Whatever level of disappointment he felt at the draft is proving to be a great motivator.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
You are right on the money Ranger, and that should terrify the GM's and clubs that passed on him. Should be very interesting to watch how Schremp addresses this in his career, especially early on.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Oiltalk said:
Freaky Habs Fan-Bad attitude base on what? A few overhyped stories? Oh no we can't have cocky players in the NHL these days. Kovalchuk, Roenick, Messier. The list goes on and on.

I was stunned that he was available at 25. Based on what I had read, he was picked to go top 15.

As I watched the draft on ESPN, the anouncers where just waiting for him to be taken, and actually focused on him a couple of time as he sat, pick after pick. One of the reasons, the anouncers posed as to why he hadn't been drafted as high as expected was his interviews. Based on their remarks (coming from scouts), he likes to use a little profanity - which may lead the average person to believe Additude was the reason for his fall.

The last thing you do when trying to make a good impression w/ a potential new boss is drop a couple of 4 letter words, and I don't mean 1 or 2. This may have turned off a number of teams.

After really the top 10, there were a mess of players that had simular talent/potential - basically noone stood out. I would loved to have had Robbie in St. Louis, but .... can't pass up on Scwartz.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
I think you did just fine with the Schwarz pick. I feel that the true steals of the 1st round will be...

Schwarz
Schremp
Tukonen
Meszaros
Zajac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad