Should we trade the 2020 #1 Draft Pick for a Winger?

Should we trade the 2020 #1 Draft Pick for a Winger?

• Total voters

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I get what you are saying, but Jake isn't the bus driver. He is just another due sitting in the back with the cool kids. Jake doesn't drive the offense on his line, he is a benefactor of it. Sid got hurt, he got to play with Geno.

As long as Sid and Geno are driving the bus, the Pens should go all in every year.
I disagree. Even when with Malkin and Sid out this year, and Jake was centering his own line... He was still just as good and did his thing. He's a really good player and not the benefactor of Sid/Malkin. He's no James Neal.

They don’t know about Jake yet and they won’t by the TDL...whether his recovery allows him to possibly play in the POs will depend on how far the Pens get and his own personal situation...they have to assume he won’t be available when making any decision in the next month...btw, I disagree with you. They have a shot even without Jake of going all the way and if they can take it without significantly jeopardizing the future, then they should do it

Trade deadline isn't for a while. Why do we have to make a move right now?

RSPens

May 25, 2015
If Bjugstad can finally get healthy and JR can find someone willing to trade picks for him, than I'd have no problem getting a top 6 winger with term. But with that $4M weighing down the bottom 6, and all the RFA's left to sign, I'd be very hesitant to bring in anyone with term. For starters, we don't know if this player will even mesh well with Sid or Geno, or play how Sully wants them to play. It could be another Iginla situation or even another Pearson where we end up with next to nothing in the end. I like that the team has flexibility this year (I don't like the reason for it, injuries). If they get another $6M winger they have a lot less flexibility going in to next season.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The biggest issue I have is that there are key players (and no Schultz isn't one of them) that will need new contracts next summer. Sure losing Jake now frees up $6M, but if whoever the Pens get in a trade, has any term, it could very likely cause the Pens to not be able to sign someone (McCann, Murray, Petterson, Marino, maybe a couple more, my brain is drawing blanks right now).

Assuming Schultz and Chucky walk, and Bjugstad is moved now or in my mind preferably this summer, we are fine. Having Marino fall into our laps helps so much.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens with a cap of 84 million next year gives the Pens approx 25 million to work with. McCaan, Petts, Kuhny, Riikola, plus a couple cheaper RFA's and both goal tenders will leave enough for a good RH D man. I really think GMJR will move a goalie in order to not lose one in the expansion draft. Actually Pens are in great shape cap wise this off season pending a trade this year. So yes to Palmieri and no to Saad. Palmieri has real value with that contract. Saad no at 6 million is simply to much to consider.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Pens are currently top 5 in the league in points with all these injuries and are playing like a team. If you are JR, THIS is the team you go get a player for. The safe bet is Jake is done for the year and we should all operate under that assumption. JR needs to get the best player he can to replace Jake and if somehow Jake can come back late in the playoffs, that's a bonus.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You don’t just trade assets to trade assets, but anything and anyone beyond Sid and Geno and Letang should be up for trade. The penguins aren’t transitioning from Sid and Geno to the next generation of stars. There will be a lull. The present is all about maximizing this core. And contracts shouldn’t be a concern. They have enough deadweight to move. An easy 10 million this year, and I’m not sure re-signing Schultz should be a priority for next.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's all about what you are getting back. If Chicago wanted Poulin for Saad - we hope that Poulin can be Saad. I'd gladly do that deal. I wouldn't be doing a deal like Poulin or a 1st for Toffoli. Absolutely not.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
You don’t just trade assets to trade assets, but anything and anyone beyond Sid and Geno and Letang should be up for trade. The penguins aren’t transitioning from Sid and Geno to the next generation of stars. There will be a lull. The present is all about maximizing this core. And contracts shouldn’t be a concern. They have enough deadweight to move. An easy 10 million this year, and I’m not sure re-signing Schultz should be a priority for next.

I've actually had this conversation with friends. I honestly believe if this team commits itself to a rebuild and doesn't try to retool for years and years like some teams do, it will be a much quicker and more successful transition.

Once Sid and Geno hang it up, barring us pulling some real gem franchise players out of the draft the next few years, flip anything that can be had for value and start signing guys in the offseason to flip at the deadlines.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I look at it like we are playing with house money with the 2020 first.

If we trade it, I just look at Marino as our 2020 first. Kinda like the Steelers trading their first for all-pro Fitzpatrick.

If we keep it we keep it. Other than a trade the way the Pens can get better is to have some of their guys step it up and make a positive impact. I’m looking at you Galchenyuk and Bjugstad...

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
In all honesty, if JR can pull off one of his patented 1 for 1 swaps, that may be all we need. I'd like to see one of those before we start throwing our more valuable assets in the pot.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In all honesty, if JR can pull off one of his patented 1 for 1 swaps, that may be all we need. I'd like to see one of those before we start throwing our more valuable assets in the pot.

Ya many times the smaller deals are the ones that put teams over the top.

Trying to think of all of JRs big deals when he sent out first rounders, but only one of his three big deals I can recall worked out.

Perron deal was a dud
Kessel deal duh
Brassard deal was a dud

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I've actually had this conversation with friends. I honestly believe if this team commits itself to a rebuild and doesn't try to retool for years and years like some teams do, it will be a much quicker and more successful transition.

Once Sid and Geno hang it up, barring us pulling some real gem franchise players out of the draft the next few years, flip anything that can be had for value and start signing guys in the offseason to flip at the deadlines.
Yes. This is always the way to go. I’m merely suggesting they “strip mine” the Sid/Geno era. Then yeah, you sell off everything, burn it down as fast as you can, and then start the rebuild.

I’m just sayin, the 30th pick in 2020 isn’t gonna be the centrepiece of the 2025 rebuild

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Trying to think of all of JRs big deals when he sent out first rounders, but only one of his three big deals I can recall worked out.

Perron deal was a dud
Kessel deal duh
Brassard deal was a dud
You forgot the Reaves trade. Doesn't get any bigger than that.

Reactions: Shady Machine

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yes. This is always the way to go. I’m merely suggesting they “strip mine” the Sid/Geno era. Then yeah, you sell off everything, burn it down as fast as you can, and then start the rebuild.

I’m just sayin, the 30th pick in 2020 isn’t gonna be the centrepiece of the 2025 rebuild

Exactly. If you're JR you have to bet on this team right now. The first round pick will be a crapshoot at that stage in the draft.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Perron deal was a dud
Kessel deal duh
Brassard deal was a dud

Yeah, big game hunting and including picks hasn't really worked out for us in all honesty - Kessel deal excluded. The team has not been built doing it.

Scuderi for Daley
Perron for Hagelin
Cole for Bortuzzo
Neal for Hornqvist and Spaling
Kahun for Maatta
Sprong for Pettersson

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Yeah, big game hunting and including picks hasn't really worked out for us in all honesty - Kessel deal excluded. The team has not been built doing it.

Scuderi for Daley
Perron for Hagelin
Cole for Bortuzzo
Neal for Hornqvist and Spaling
Kahun for Maatta
Sprong for Pettersson

None of those (except one which worked) were for the need in the current situation...top six winger.

Reactions: BillyOcean

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
None of those (except one which worked) were for the need in the current situation...top six winger.

I'm not so sure we HAVE to find a top 6 winger. We have Rust and Kahun with Geno, which looks awesome. I'd give Tanev a shot with Sid and McCann or Bjugstad. I'd absolutely give those a shot first. If they work then we are looking for bottom 6 depth. Sid with McCann and Tanev I think has the best chance of working.

Hornqvist is a top 6 winger. Hagelin was a top 6 winger here for periods of time. Daley played top 4 mins here. Cole played top 4 mins at times here and was an awesome PKer. Kahun is going to stick in the top 6 if he keeps playing this way. Pettersson is playin gin the top 4. Point is, those were highly productive players that played anywhere throughout the lineup.

Reactions: Khelandros

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I'm not so sure we HAVE to find a top 6 winger. We have Rust and Kahun with Geno, which looks awesome. I'd give Tanev a shot with Sid and McCann or Bjugstad. I'd absolutely give those a shot first. If they work then we are looking for bottom 6 depth. Sid with McCann and Tanev I think has the best chance of working.

Hornqvist is a top 6 winger. Hagelin was a top 6 winger here for periods of time. Daley played top 4 mins here. Cole played top 4 mins at times here and was an awesome PKer. Kahun is going to stick in the top 6 if he keeps playing this way. Pettersson is playin gin the top 4. Point is, those were highly productive players that played anywhere throughout the lineup.

Our star centers don’t drive the play like they used to though. The complementary pieces need to be more shiny I think.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Our star centers don’t drive the play like they used to though. The complementary pieces need to be more shiny I think.

I disagree. This season I think Sid and Geno have played some of their best hockey - especially Geno. I take this guy we are seeing right now over pretty much any other year. He's been a 200 foot monster AND he's putting up points. They are both so much more well rounded right now.

Reactions: Khelandros

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think a deal that would pretty well square us away would be a deal that saw Toffoli and Martinez from LA traded here.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I think they still do. Malkin’s 17/18 was one of his best seasons and certainly best since 11/12. Sid’s season last year was arguably his best certainly one of them (best 200ft season I think would be safe to say).

Having said that the league is faster and the systems are harder to play against so you want to try to get the best winger you can especially because we lost Jake. One big move and one lateral/better fit move for the forwards should do us well.

Reactions: Andy99

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I disagree. This season I think Sid and Geno have played some of their best hockey - especially Geno. I take this guy we are seeing right now over pretty much any other year. He's been a 200 foot monster AND he's putting up points. They are both so much more well rounded right now.

I still have questions concerning Malkin’s continued consistency without Guentzel and Crosbys effectiveness coming off the injury with what’s available to him for linemates.

I guess we’ll see in the next 10 games.

Reactions: Shady Machine

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I think they still do. Malkin’s 17/18 was one of his best seasons and certainly best since 11/12. Sid’s season last year was arguably his best certainly one of them (best 200ft season I think would be safe to say).

Having said that the league is faster and the systems are harder to play against so you want to try to get the best winger you can especially because we lost Jake. One big move and one lateral/better fit move for the forwards should do us well.

did the isles sweep us because we had no depth outside our top two lines or they were able to shut down our two star centers?

If you say the latter then we need a marquee winger. Possibly and unrealistically two top wingers.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Exactly. If you're JR you have to bet on this team right now. The first round pick will be a crapshoot at that stage in the draft.
even so, i wold still like to see the bad fits and others moved out first. then we can look at trading our first.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
even so, i wold still like to see the bad fits and others moved out first. then we can look at trading our first.

Agreed. I don't think we need to do earth shattering moves right now. That being said, if we want to get in on Kreider or someone like that, it will have to be sooner rather than later because I don't think teams are going to wait around.

Reactions: The Old Master

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad