Should we trade the 2020 #1 Draft Pick for a Winger?

Should we trade the 2020 #1 Draft Pick for a Winger?

• Total voters

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don’t see any difference between trading prospects and trading a 1st.

The first is a lottery ticket that you don’t know what you have.

Guys like Poulin and Addison you know essentially what you have in terms of potential, and they will more than likely be NHL ready before whomever the 2020 first is used on.

Seems logical to trade the first before either of those two IMHO.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If necessary, sure.

Don't really want to use it on a rental but beggars can't be choosers. We've got a great opportunity and there's no point letting it go to waste for the sake of some penny-pinching. Obviously I'd rather trade our unloved players for their awesome players but Rutherford doesn't have an unlimited supply of blackmail material now.

Actually... lets be real. Everything's on the table future wise if that makes the difference and the price is fair.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The over-obsession with draft picks and prospects on this site doesn't make any sense to me. That doesn't mean go full Shero with your draft picks, where you trade every 2nd and 3rd rounder for marginal help, but you should be completely willing to trade a 1st rounder for a win-now player that will help you.

Having a 1st round pick so you have a 50-50 chance of getting a NHLer in 3-5 years, when you won't be as good as you are now, isn't worth having a worse team when your window is open.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The first is a lottery ticket that you don’t know what you have.

Guys like Poulin and Addison you know essentially what you have in terms of potential, and they will more than likely be NHL ready before whomever the 2020 first is used on.

Seems logical to trade the first before either of those two IMHO.
Not to me. We know what we have but we also know they’re not exactly elite or can’t miss prospects.. that late 1st could end up being a Kuznetsov or Pastrnak.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
For the right winger, absolutely. Saad is one player who could be had and would be on the team next year.

Also, I voted for a winger with term. However, it depends on the winger. The team has played really well through all of the injuries, and they're near end of being a contender. If a winger gives them a chance to compete, then I say you do it.

Reactions: BillPrep

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I don't like any rental suggestion that I've heard so far as much as I like our 1st this year - and I'm a guy who could care less on a given year for another D.Pouliot draft pick.

Rentals can work - but deadline rentals very, very rarely work. If we're waiting around to the deadline to acquire what this team has needed since yesteryear (another top-6 F talent) - we're doing it wrong. We're not going to find magic by giving some scoring winger 2 months to adjust to Sully then show up in the playoffs.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
No option for "only for a top six winger, regardless of term or pending UFA status"?
I mean, I'd prefer term, but if you think you've got a good chance of winning the Cup this year, you make the move for a solid top six player regardless of their free agency status.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not to me. We know what we have but we also know they’re not exactly elite or can’t miss prospects.. that late 1st could end up being a Kuznetsov or Pastrnak.

Not sure that's true. Feel like a meaningful number of prospects take big unexpected steps between 20 and 22 that takes them into that category - and that most of the elite players selected outside the top 20 take that step then.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Unless the Pens start showing all the warts of the previous two seasons from now to the TDL or suffer more season ending injuries to crucial players, making a Cup run seem unlikely, I say we should trade our first. Sid, Geno and Letang aren't getting any younger, the team is playing the right way, it's unlikely that we get better chance any time soon. Plus, what use is this first if it turns into say a borderline top 6 player once Sid and Geno are 35+? The league encourages tanking rather than mediocrity.
Just don't waste the pick on someone who will become Brassard 2.0.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Say our winger trade flops or more injuries dictate it...Could Poulin be added in our top 6 for some skill in the playoffs if absolutely necessary?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To add, the idea that the Hawks became the Hawks because they traded too many picks is just factually incorrect. From 2009 (their first year of making the playoffs with their core) to 2017 (their last year of making the playoffs), the Hawks had 8 1st round picks, 14 2nd round picks and 12 3rd round picks in 9 drafts. Their problem was that they gave out bloated contracts to their core as a thank you for winning the cups, and the core fell off a cliff and made the team noncompetitive.

The problem with the Hawks is that Bowman made a bunch of bad trades and gave out a bunch of legacy, thank you contracts to his core. That wasn't caused by trading draft picks and prospects.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The over-obsession with draft picks and prospects on this site doesn't make any sense to me. That doesn't mean go full Shero with your draft picks, where you trade every 2nd and 3rd rounder for marginal help, but you should be completely willing to trade a 1st rounder for a win-now player that will help you.

Having a 1st round pick so you have a 50-50 chance of getting a NHLer in 3-5 years, when you won't be as good as you are now, isn't worth having a worse team when your window is open.

It's because there's a decent history of high draft picks becoming major contributors. I think about the Girouxs, Josis, Marchands, and Bergerons who were high-ish picks that make major impacts. That fear of missing out on a franchise player is strong with a lot of people. Think about our 2015 1st. That's a good case study in the pros and cons on trading 1sts.

On one hand, Perron was meh but was then traded for Hagelin and we won two cups. Hooray. On the other hand, Barzel was on the board and could have been selected (no promises that he would have been but I remember him being the BPA when they made the pick. I watched the draft because I was hoping we recouped the pick and I also wanted to see what was done with our pick). Barzel is now a core piece with the NYI. So looking back, I'd take the Cup 10 of 10 times, duh. But when you look at it on paper and then think about how hard it is to win a cup and what a gamble it is...it's gets scary.

I understand the over-obsession. I think people tend to not always value them and players correctly though. EDIT: Outside of that 1st for Perron, most of the picks we've traded away have turned into nobodies. The only significant ones I can recall are Barzel and then Dzingle with the 7th we sent to Ottawa for Kovalev in 2011.

It is 2010, yeah, use those 1sts for the chance to get a cup. In 2020, I do think we need to be more selective on how we use those. I 100% do NOT support sending a 1st out for a rental winger that we do not intend to resign. If we send a 1st, I want that player to be "in the plans". Saad, would be to and extent as we get a season and a half from him and there's a chance he would "come home". The potential of not having Schultz's contract or possibly Murray's leaves a little more money for us to play with.

I don't think any of the UFA wings are worth a 1st. No recent UFA wing trades support that theory. If we do send out a 1st for let's say Saad, I want us to recoup picks for this draft, ideally from Bjugstad and Galchenyuk or potentially whoever we trade them for. The 1st going out in a deep draft and already having no 2nd...that's rough. That's why we need to be absolutely certain on the 1st. Or make the package a large package with a young player coming back and a roster player going out, similiar to what the Brass/Sheahan for Bjug/McCann trade was.

Reactions: BillyOcean

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Still haven't seen evidence that JG out is scuttling the team

Is it ideal? No. Is it an emergency? Not yet.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Still haven't seen evidence that JG out is scuttling the team

Is it ideal? No. Is it an emergency? Not yet.

While I fully agree with this - it is also an opportunity. Not every team gets to add 6m of cap with no troubles mid-season. And we do also have a great opportunity this season, and I think the team owes itself to pursue it as hard as they can without doing anything mad.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
There's a time to sit on your hands and there a time to not sit on your hands.

Both have rewards while both can be disastrous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad