Should we spend a few assets to move Horton? (like Chicago did Hossa)

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
its am34 and marners last elc year, we have to spend to the cap and go for it this year.

So what players are you bringing in to take up that other 8m+?

And what are u doing with those same players (along with another 4m player) next year when we won't have the cap room?

Seems a little shortsighted to deal assets for a 1 year run, just to dump several of those assets next year.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
So what players are you bringing in to take up that other 8m+?

And what are u doing with those same players (along with another 4m player) next year when we won't have the cap room?

Seems a little shortsighted to deal assets for a 1 year run, just to dump several of those assets next year.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
well the cup doesent wait, the cup does not care bout asset management. we have to try this year. there will be guys available at the deadline or before that have a year left,we should spend all eight on those players.next year does not matter right now.i would not take on guys with term but anyone with 1 year left who can contribute /have an impact im moving anyone not named liligren for.I would move liligren if the right deal came along though

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
As MR4 said - spending to the cap would screw the Leafs over big time the following season. The Leafs' management has to be very meticulously work things out for the next several years. They appear to be doing that under Dubas - by not adding UFAs beyond Tavares, and by not giving Sandin a contract with bonuses. The Leafs are walking a tightrope. Spending to the cap this year is the equivalent of falling off without a net.

not really, not if its guys on 1 year deals or expiring deals.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
well the cup doesent wait, the cup does not care bout asset management. we have to try this year. there will be guys available at the deadline or before that have a year left,we should spend all eight on those players.next year does not matter right now.i would not take on guys with term but anyone with 1 year left who can contribute /have an impact im moving anyone not named liligren for.I would move liligren if the right deal came along though

I'd be pretty disappointed if the Leafs took this approach (not that I think they will, because it's pretty idiotic).
1. We are the betting fav for the cup today with our young core all in place.
2. We are well set up for current and long term success, with 4 of our top 5 players being 23 and under.

Why would we sacrifice long term success for a one year run??

The Kapanens, Browns, 1sts, etc that you are dealing for these rentals are the exact guys that we need for the next 3 or 4 years as they will be the good, young and most importantly cheap depth that we need to surround our superstars with for sustained success.

Signing Tavares does not = long term plan out the window.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
not really, not if its guys on 1 year deals or expiring deals.

Yes really. Doesn't matter if it is 1 year deals or expiring deals. If the Leafs spend to the cap and end up having 3 or 4 M in performance bonuses pushed to the following year lowering their cap they have royally F'ed the team going forward. If they have a pretty good idea of what the performance bonus situation will be come the trade deadline and work around that, fine.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Read post 17. It has the math correct. Keeping Horton on the roster allows the Leafs not carry over an expensive performance bonus carryover into next year. Leafs need all the cap space next with expensive signings.
Leafs have about 2.8m in cap spaced in 2018/19. So hope that one of those bottom end Dman plays well. Later in the year as teams become sellers maybe the Leafs acquire a useful addition. Just doubt it's going to be early in the season.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
looking for cap.... is there any possible way of getting out of the 1.2mil/year we retain on Kessel's contract?'Like trading assets to Pitt in return for them taking the cap hit?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Don't put him on LTIR this year and don't spend near the cap to ensure there is enough money left over to cover bonuses.

Do put him on LTIR next year. There shouldn't be much worry of bonuses. 400K for Liljegren. Don't think there is that much else. (and I think this is the reason Sandin's ELC has no performance bonuses - and Dubas will be pretty rigid going forward)

I don't see the benefit in trading assets to get rid of his contract at this point - especially as it will be very expensive to do so.

The leafs have 14.7M in cap space. Nylander signs for 6-6.5. Horton’s 5.3 the leafs will have around 3M left which will cover Matthews and Marners bonuses. LTIR him next season when the leafs won’t have any serious bonus overages to pay and then it’s all over.

These two get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad