Should we spend a few assets to move Horton? (like Chicago did Hossa)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So, with our cap space currently sitting somewhere around ~13 million. Nylander still to sign, who will take in the ballpark of half that. Potential for around ~5.5 million in bonus overages that we really need to account for so they don't roll into 2019-2020, the question is, would it be worthwhile for us to spend some assets like Chicago to clear Nathan Horton from our cap? The quick dismissal would be to say that we toss him on LTIR and we get all his money back, so no, but the problem is the money we are allowed to go over when using LTIR doesn't count for bonuses, so bonus overages & our roster combined (including Horton) needs to stay under the cap this season or they will carry over.

Moving Horton, would give us back his over 5 million, which could make a big difference at some point this season if a defender of interest becomes available on trade market.

So, beyond just the question of should we, I'd also like to brainstorm what teams might even be amenable to such a deal and what the comparable trade would be based on what we know Arizona got

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
The acquiring team only has to pay Hossa $1m/year for the next few years. Horton is owed $8m in real dollars over then next two years.

So I would guarantee you the Leafs would have to ship out a lot more to get an owner to write that cheque the next couple of years.

So... pretty doubtful it happens.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The acquiring team only has to pay Hossa $1m/year for the next few years. Horton is owed $8m in real dollars over then next two years.

So I would guarantee you the Leafs would have to ship out a lot more to get an owner to write that cheque the next couple of years.

Are these contracts not usually insured for like 80% of their value?

I'm pretty sure Arizona is only paying Hossa like 200k of each year

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't think so.

He can go back on LTIR next year - Just absorb the cost this year and keep your long-term assets.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't think so.

He can go back on LTIR next year - Just absorb the cost this year and keep your long-term assets.

I forgot Horton isn't insured, which honestly changes everything.

Sadly, we've got like 0 cap space after Nylander signs then. Anything we do is gonna have to be a hockey trade.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

This. Although the ground work can be laid to have a deal in place if cap space needs to be created to acquire a D upgrade.

However, we will start acquiring cap space for such a defender on the first day of the season. We would also be dealing creating additional cap room by trading out players or at the very least sending someone down to the minors.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Don't put him on LTIR this year and don't spend near the cap to ensure there is enough money left over to cover bonuses.

Do put him on LTIR next year. There shouldn't be much worry of bonuses. 400K for Liljegren. Don't think there is that much else. (and I think this is the reason Sandin's ELC has no performance bonuses - and Dubas will be pretty rigid going forward)

I don't see the benefit in trading assets to get rid of his contract at this point - especially as it will be very expensive to do so.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Are these contracts not usually insured for like 80% of their value?

I could be wrong but when he signed due to his injury history I thought nobody would insure that contract. I know this summer one strike against De Haan was nobody would insure his contract

I am guessing if his contract was insured Columbus would just have kept him

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I forgot Horton isn't insured, which honestly changes everything.

Sadly, we've got like 0 cap space after Nylander signs then. Anything we do is gonna have to be a hockey trade.
We don't need to be looking to make any huge additions this year anyways.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I could be wrong but when he signed due to his injury history I thought nobody would insure that contract. I know this summer one strike against De Haan was nobody would insure his contract

I am guessing if his contract was insured Columbus would just have kept him

you are right, Horton has no insurance the leafs pay 100% of his contract. That is the only reason we could trade Clarkson, CBJ couldn't afford to pay him when he will never play again they took Clarkson because A: he was playing at the time (I think) and B: if he was injured it was insured

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think he's ours for good.

There is likely other work arounds for this. We have Pridham and Gilman. I bet they have something up their sleeve we didn't even think about.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It would be nice to get rid of him, this is a great year to load up and buy some rentals while we’ve got Matthews+Marner on ELC’s. Unfortunately, that contract is uninsured, so the dump price and the rental cost would gut our prospects pool. I’m down to make a big push this year and load up, but dumping Horton is probably a bridge too far. Can’t take the eyes fully off the future, we’re trying to contend for the next 10 years.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
you are right, Horton has no insurance the leafs pay 100% of his contract. That is the only reason we could trade Clarkson, CBJ couldn't afford to pay him when he will never play again they took Clarkson because A: he was playing at the time (I think) and B: if he was injured it was insured

I do believe Columbus' logic was if we are paying this money we might as well get some value out of it, Toronto just wanted the LITR capspace savings

Reactions: Walshy7

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
its not like theres much helpful players left to sign, we have more than enough cap space right now, but next year though we gonna need every million you can get

Reactions: Its not your fault

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The leafs have 14.7M in cap space. Nylander signs for 6-6.5. Horton’s 5.3 the leafs will have around 3M left which will cover Matthews and Marners bonuses. LTIR him next season when the leafs won’t have any serious bonus overages to pay and then it’s all over.

Last edited:
Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
its not like theres much helpful players left to sign, we have more than enough cap space right now, but next year though we gonna need every million you can get

I wasn't talking about signings. Just leaving our options open if traded open up. While we don't need any major upgrades, flexibility to add to our D would be nice

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Don't put him on LTIR this year and don't spend near the cap to ensure there is enough money left over to cover bonuses.

Do put him on LTIR next year. There shouldn't be much worry of bonuses. 400K for Liljegren. Don't think there is that much else. (and I think this is the reason Sandin's ELC has no performance bonuses - and Dubas will be pretty rigid going forward)

I don't see the benefit in trading assets to get rid of his contract at this point - especially as it will be very expensive to do so.

If the contract were insured as i was thinking it was when I wrote the OP I think it would have made a ton of sense. But obviously without that it doesnt

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Come to think of it now how Clarkson also suffered a career ended, we didn’t need to make that deal at all.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I thought the whole point was as long a Horton isn’t ltir. Then the Matthews bonuses don’t count against next year?

Is it:

79.5-5.3 = 74.2 we can spend and bonuses don’t count against next year or

79.5-5.3-potential ofverage?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Come to think of it now how Clarkson also suffered a career ended, we didn’t need to make that deal at all.

Clarkson was healthy when we traded him. He played 3 games in his first season at CBJ and then 23 the next. So it was us getting rid of an atrocious player for one that will never play again, CBJ would prefer to pay $5M for a player to play no matter how shit he was compared to paying Horton $5M to never play again

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Think I'll let the GM and one of his half dozen cap experts deal with it and enjoy watching John Tavares in a Leafs uniform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad