Should we have traded Reimer instead of Scrivens?

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I said Could not is, and he is in the process of doing so as you have to start doing so at some point. I am not sure if you misunderstood? Where did you pull Quick from? What's happening where am I. Help

Well Reimer has been revered as a 1B. I.E Not quite a starter but on the cusp of being one. For Scrivens to be out preforming him it would be an indication that he is indeed a starter. Seeing how you are making this statement based off a SMALL sample size of play I have to ask does that mean you view Scrivens as a upgrade over a starter I.E Quick or Lundquvist who while have had bumps this year have a proven track record of winning? (HINT this is where my statement of Quick comes from.)

I have nothing against Scrivens but the fact of the matter is similar to Ben Bishop, Jonathan Bernier, etc he has a SMALL sample size and has not proven he can mentally withstand the task of being a starter in the NHL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Really? I think the friction has already begun and as much as he is trying to be a professional (more than a lot of players would) I think its starting to show in his game

He has no one to blame but himself for the spot he's in. If he's hoping another Team will look at him as their #1, he's not doing himself any favours by letting this affect his play(if in fact it is).

I think he's mature enough to understand how things are. He needs to earn the net, not be entitled to it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs made the right choice trading Scrivens and keeping Reimer. At the time of the trade everyone knew Los Angeles needed a #2 Goalie since Jonathan Quick was their clear #1, so giving up Scrivens made the most sense because he was not a #1 Goalie.

Now if Dave Nonis chooses to trade Reimer after the season I can't see why shouldn't be able to get a 1st round pick or a player/prospect of equal value. Reimer still got the Leafs into the playoffs last season and was a major reason why they took Boston to Game 7. Plus if Washington got a 1st round pick in exchange for Semyon Varlamov, why can't the Leafs get at least that for Reimer?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
He has no one to blame but himself for the spot he's in. If he's hoping another Team will look at him as their #1, he's not doing himself any favours by letting this affect his play(if in fact it is).

I think he's mature enough to understand how things are. He needs to earn the net, not be entitled to it.

Meh, he was playing pretty well when him and Bernier were splitting time. Since he got stuck riding pine for, what, 7-8 games, even though Bernier struggled in some of those games himself, hes lost his mojo somewhat. He needs to be starting to get back into the groove of things. He definetely has himself to blame but its just another example of Carlyle's questionable decisions with regards to who he plays when, and where.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
at that time, no...but right now, its not crazy to say that scrivens is a better goalie than reimer

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Meh, he was playing pretty well when him and Bernier were splitting time. Since he got stuck riding pine for, what, 7-8 games, even though Bernier struggled in some of those games himself, hes lost his mojo somewhat. He needs to be starting to get back into the groove of things. He definetely has himself to blame but its just another example of Carlyle's questionable decisions with regards to who he plays when, and where.

He's playing Bernier like a #1. I don't see how you can question that.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Ofcoarse we should of traded Reimer, Scrivens just got a 59 save shut out against the Sharks duh....

Infact we should trade both Reimer and Bernier for Scrivens right now. Do it Nonnis!!

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

Reimer has the pension of loosing his mojo mid game never mind for a cold streak that every goalie go's through in the course of a season... That's why Nonis traded for Bernier cause of Reimer's pension of getting rattled to motivate and push him to improve or he'll lose the #1 spot as he has for that very reason. Bernier has allowed some of the worst goals this year but not one single time has he been rattled by it.

So many excuses going out for Reimer and not enough truth that Bernier is just a better goalie on many levels this year... I have my pet peeve with Carlyle but the one thing he's done right is how he's handled the goalies. That's the only thing that's saved his piss poor bench coaching this year.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Nonis would have been fired on the spot. Going into the season with a tandem that had a combined 94 games on NHL experience (and neither of them ever coming close to being considered a starter) would be completely idiotic. Not to mention the huge season / playoffs that Reimer was just coming off of. He had just as much of a chance of holding onto the starting role as Bernier did coming into the season.

Also, Scrivens recorded most of those stats on the team with the lowest GA/G in the league. He's played 4 games for Edmonton; let's see how well he maintains those stats over the next 26 games.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Haven't looked it up but has Scrivens been getting the typical games a backup gets, at least while in LA? Lets also not forget the Kings are arguably the best defensive team in hockey. If Reimer were there I'm sure he'd put up similar numbers.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The Leafs are just awful at evaluating goalies... Justin Pogge? LOL! :laugh:

Yes, I think it's obvious they traded the wrong goalie. Although, you can't fault Reimer for the Leafs' woes, their D is so bad, that the goalies have bailed out the team all year.

But, Reimer has major rebound control problems and I don't think Scrivens has anything of the sort. Not as bad, anyway. Also, there's always a question mark or concern when other teams rush or crash the net. Scrivens doesn't have the concussion history. Reimer has had trouble with rebounds for at least two seasons now? He gets by but it's still an issue.

Other than that, the Leafs can't seem to find high quality goalies. They usually have to trade for them or sign them as veteran FAs.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Scrivens is still a career backup. A team cannot be successful with him as a number 1 goalie unless you have a ridiculous defence like LA.

Maplestory*

Reimer has more experience but should've given Scrivens more chances to play so that he could've proven himself.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
NO.

Reimer has proven that he can go on a roll for 10+ games, playing against every team. Scrivens hasnt proven that more than one stint in LA.

Reimer can be a no 1 goalie. He has just had a lot go against him this year in terms of luck.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs made the right choice trading Scrivens and keeping Reimer. At the time of the trade everyone knew Los Angeles needed a #2 Goalie since Jonathan Quick was their clear #1, so giving up Scrivens made the most sense because he was not a #1 Goalie.

Now if Dave Nonis chooses to trade Reimer after the season I can't see why shouldn't be able to get a 1st round pick or a player/prospect of equal value. Reimer still got the Leafs into the playoffs last season and was a major reason why they took Boston to Game 7. Plus if Washington got a 1st round pick in exchange for Semyon Varlamov, why can't the Leafs get at least that for Reimer?

Ehhh... the goalie market is a little bit weird.

Depending on the year, goalies can cost a small fortune to acquire or are worth virtually nothing. Unfortunately for us, right now there's a glut of goalies on the market, meaning Reimer wouldn't be worth nearly as much as he would in a different year. That said, Reimer is probably the best of the bunch (sans Miller, who's in a different class), so we still should get a solid return regardless. I wouldn't expect a first, though its possible, but he definitely should fetch a second rounder+.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if Scrivs had a better career than Reimer.

Heyo!

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Sheesh. Who knew Scrivens would have a 59-save shutout while playing at home for his home-town team?

The Leafs made the right choice.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Scrivens is having a great season (most of it so far behind a great defensive team) but 1 stellar 59 save shutout doesn't all of a sudden mean he's the best goalie in the world. If that were the case every team should be on the phone looking to acquire him because he's better than every other goalie in the league. That's not how it works.

Bernier was brought in so that the team would have two potential starters and both would have to battle it out for the top spot. We went into the season not knowing for certain which goalie would end up being our back up. If management had zero confidence in Reimer and had all the faith in Bernier to be a starter, they could have traded Reimer and kept Scrivens but that wasn't the situation going into this season. It's easy to say now that we should have dealt Reimer and kept Scrivens but even I were to agree that right now we would be better off with a Bernier/Scrivens duo, it's not because Scrivens is better than Reimer - it's that Scrivens is more adjusted to a back-up role than Reimer is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad