Should we have traded Reimer instead of Scrivens?

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I love Reimer and everything, but Scrivens is having a phenomenal season so far. It probably won't hold up as he's playing for the Oilers, but it made me think... Should we have traded Reimer instead of Scrivens to LA?

Scrivens 23 GP .937 sv% 1.93GAA

Reimer 24 GP .912 sv% 3.25 GAA

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No and it's because at the time Scrivens was not performing as well and Reimer was Optimus, a big thing etc. it was a mini but not quite Price Halak situation and we made a choice to go with Bernier in the off season.

It's a case of That's hockey.

James Reimer

I Stop Pucks
Oct 25, 2011
Toronto
Kids a stud now but he ain't gunna be good forever. He was like that with us. A few good games, then some really bad ones. I'm happy Edmonton found a little stability with him so far though.

Reims ain't making no 59 save shutouts but he definitely had more value than Scrivens at the time of the trade.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kids a stud now but he ain't gunna be good forever. He was like that with us. A few good games, then some really bad ones. I'm happy Edmonton found a little stability with him so far though.

Reims ain't making no 59 save shutouts but he definitely had more value than Scrivens at the time of the trade.

You know James, not since November, since the death stare he has been off and not competed. He is trade fodder more than likely.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I thought Scrivens was legit when he was still here in Toronto. His "worst" season was his first NHL stint where he posted a 3.13 and .902 in 12 games, which isn't great, but that year he also won the Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award which is the Jennings trophy of the AHL. Guy is 27 and has never had a sub-par season in his life, and I see little reason to think he's going to start falling apart. At the time of the trade for Bernier, I would have preferred to just keep Reimer and Scrivens.

Funly enough, I was actually considering making a post saying as much last night before this game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I thought Scrivens was legit when he was still here in Toronto. His "worst" season was his first NHL stint where he posted a 3.13 and .902 in 12 games, which isn't great, but that year he also won the Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award which is the Jennings trophy of the AHL. Guy is 27 and has never had a sub-par season in his life, and I see little reason to think he's going to start falling apart. At the time of the trade for Bernier, I would have preferred to just keep Reimer and Scrivens.

Funly enough, I was actually considering making a post saying as much last night before this game.

I think I remember you having this position when the trades went down. I am pretty sure I was high on a trade at the time but knew he was good and said so. That's hockey, maybe scribs is a dark horse and will become a CuJo who knows, he is pretty smart like CuJo

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No.

What will be funny is if Reimer puts up better numbers with wherever he ends up than Bernier. Then you'll see some major hand wringing.

TheThrill81*

No.

What will be funny is if Reimer puts up better numbers with wherever he ends up than Bernier. Then you'll see some major hand wringing.

Careful now, you don't want the pitchfork mob after you.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I always liked Scrivens better than Reimer. That said, I love Reimer, I love how hard he plays and competes, but he can't catch and I can never relax watching him play. It's like he's constantly stuck in a speed wobble...

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Sometimes players just fight the right situation. The fact is when he was here, he had the chance to earn the start, and Reimer was miles better than Scrivens. Obviously scrivs has found a good spot, and I'm happy for him. He's athletic but I've always questioned his mental strength and consistency; he'll have a good week and than have a terrible week. Hopefully for him and the oilers, he's improved on that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I always liked Scrivens better than Reimer. That said, I love Reimer, I love how hard he plays and competes, but he can't catch and I can never relax watching him play. It's like he's constantly stuck in a speed wobble...

Reimer is a impulse reaction tender. He strikes the puck like he wants to kill it when he makes a limb save. Always said this about him, Bernier sucks it in and stops it from shooting out 5 ft in front of him. Scrivens is more tidy than Reimer but not as tidy as Bernier

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We kept the better Goalie if that's what you're asking.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Question is kind of irrelevant since we will be trading them both in the end.

Although Reimer you would hope would have better value than Scrivens who was a throw in for Bernier.

If they do end up trading Reimer on his own, he would return more than trading Scrivens on his own.

TheThrill81*

Reimer is a impulse reaction tender. He strikes the puck like he wants to kill it when he makes a limb save. Always said this about him, Bernier sucks it in and stops it from shooting out 5 ft in front of him. Scrivens is more tidy than Reimer but not as tidy as Bernier

Hardly.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
No, at the time Reimer was the better goalie. Would have been incredibly stupid of Nonis to trade the better of the two at the time.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc

Nice. Thanks. You clarified for me what I've been feeling. Still, Leafs are 10-7 with Reimer and 18-20 with Bernier...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad