Should we extend Vanek's contract?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
A top 10 pick for Dougie Hamilton?

Unless Michael Ferland is some great player/prospect I haven't heard of, easy pass on that deal.

A 10th overall for Dougie Hamilton seems fair to me. This draft isn't exactly super strong. Dougie Hamilton is 23 years old, is a 6'6 RHD and has 2 40 point seasons to date. He's got 22 points in 40 games this season. He's actually leading Calgary's D in points.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
A 10th overall for Dougie Hamilton seems fair to me. This draft isn't exactly super strong. Dougie Hamilton is 23 years old, is a 6'6 RHD and has 2 40 point seasons to date. He's got 22 points in 40 games this season. He's actually leading Calgary's D in points.

He simply doesn't move the needle for me. I don't think he's very good despite his point totals.

Maybe you don't get a better player at #10, but i'd roll the dice on trying to at least. If i'm trading the #10 pick in a deal it's not going to be for a player who has had two teams give up on him in 3 years.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I haven't watched Calgary at all this year, just the one game against the Wings. From what I've gathered from Calgary fans Dougie Hamilton has been great for them since some time last season.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
On one hand:

He's big, smart, fits in and even if you go into a rebuild, you need some veteran presence. From his point of view, he's found a good place after a fair amount of travelling.

On the other hand:

I keep thinking two words: Alex Semin.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Should they extend Vanek? No.
Should they trade a 1st rounder for Hamilton? No.

WILL either of these things happen? Who knows...lately, their on-ice standards seem to be roughly on par with the team's power play effectiveness.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Should they extend Vanek? No.
Should they trade a 1st rounder for Hamilton? No.

WILL either of these things happen? Who knows...lately, their on-ice standards seem to be roughly on par with the team's power play effectiveness.

Why shouldn't they do either of these things?

Provided Vanek's extension is reasonable in terms and money, I'd love having him be a Wing for a while.

If the Wings landed something like the ninth overall... why wouldn't you have interest in trading it plus a contract (like you're probably have to do for salary reasons) for Hamilton? He's got top pairing potential, doesn't he? There isn't a Werenski in this draft that will fall to near the tenth pick, so what's the downside to trading for a 23 year old who's leading Calgary in D points on the same team as Giordano and Brodie?

That wouldn't be trading a second or a third for a Marek Zidlicky who will be here for a couple months. Hamilton seems exactly what everyone wants (young, top pairing potential for the HFboarders/current great top 4 with top 2 upside for the Wings)

If I'm trading the mystery box of a pick anywhere from 5-9 in this draft and locking in with Dougie Hamilton, I think I'm okay with that.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
He simply doesn't move the needle for me. I don't think he's very good despite his point totals.

Maybe you don't get a better player at #10, but i'd roll the dice on trying to at least. If i'm trading the #10 pick in a deal it's not going to be for a player who has had two teams give up on him in 3 years.

Again, this is a fairly weak draft. Dougie Hamilton is 23 years old, and still developing. He boosts this defense. Add in a free agent signing down the line that can play a top four game and you got a decent D core.

On one hand:

He's big, smart, fits in and even if you go into a rebuild, you need some veteran presence. From his point of view, he's found a good place after a fair amount of travelling.

On the other hand:

I keep thinking two words: Alex Semin.

Thomas Vanek and Alexander Semin are completely different players though. Vanek may not be physical but his forecheck is actually strong. It's odd but it works. He's an excellent passer, with damn good vision. Semin was ****ed after his wrist surgery. Vanek's vision is much higher and he scores a lot of his goals in the slot. We're also not paying 7x7.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I'd be fine with resigning him at around 3 years at 5ish million. Should work if Smith is let go.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think everyone on the roster, including Larkin and Mantha, should be considered for trade if the right pieces are coming back. Wings need a top defenseman prospect and/or future draft picks.

Why would we ever trade Mantha and Larkin when we'll just need players like them eventually anyways?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Why shouldn't they do either of these things?
Because each of us is a fan in their own way. For me, I care about either being one of the best teams in the league, or fully rebuilding to become one.

Provided Vanek's extension is reasonable in terms and money, I'd love having him be a Wing for a while.
Detroit isn't getting anywhere near a championship for at least another 2-3 years, so I want as few long-term veterans on the team as possible. They were smart to give Vanek a trial run, and he panned out wonderfully, so I want them to spin that into additional assets to rebuild.

If the Wings landed something like the ninth overall... why wouldn't you have interest in trading it plus a contract (like you're probably have to do for salary reasons) for Hamilton? He's got top pairing potential, doesn't he? There isn't a Werenski in this draft that will fall to near the tenth pick, so what's the downside to trading for a 23 year old who's leading Calgary in D points on the same team as Giordano and Brodie?

That wouldn't be trading a second or a third for a Marek Zidlicky who will be here for a couple months. Hamilton seems exactly what everyone wants (young, top pairing potential for the HFboarders/current great top 4 with top 2 upside for the Wings)

If I'm trading the mystery box of a pick anywhere from 5-9 in this draft and locking in with Dougie Hamilton, I think I'm okay with that.
Hamilton is ok, but I don't see him ever reaching a really good #1 defenseman status. And since I see the Wings ending up more like 4th or 5th overall, and even having a chance to move up in the ping pong balls, I'd sooner take the chance on either Liljgren or one of the high-end centers in this draft, than use a first rounder (and possibly other assets) to get I guy I view as a 1B.

Now if it was trading roster players to get him, sure, but I want as much ammo in the draft as possible for at least the next 2-3 years. Preferably with being awful again next year for a shot at somebody like Dahlin.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Lots of irrelevant rumors and chatter showing up already. Tampa, Chicago,LA , Sharks etc

Holland creating a market :laugh:

"Detroit isn't getting anywhere near a championship for at least another 2-3 years, so I want as few long-term veterans on the team as possible. They were smart to give Vanek a trial run, and he panned out wonderfully, so I want them to spin that into additional assets to rebuild."

Everybody who talks rebuild thinks two to three years? They said that in Buffalo, Edmonton and more than a few other teams where they are still rebuilding after six.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
A mid-tens pick in a weak draft for a good defenseman? Er, good luck with that. I have no earthly idea why Calgary or Columbus, since they were named, would even start to consider that, and Winnipeg sure as heck wouldn't, before that gets mentioned. Absolutely silly.

Vanek doesn't do anything for the team in the future, except share a rocking chair with Helm, Abbie, Nielsen, Howard, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen and whoever else we decide to sign for way too many years in the meantime. No reason to not trade him at the deadline (aside, I grant, from some hope that the rest of the Atlantic is so similarly horrendous that we can squeeze into the playoffs with 80ish points) and no reason whatsoever to resign him next year. There are enough veterans and 'leaders' on the team already.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Lots of irrelevant rumors and chatter showing up already. Tampa, Chicago,LA , Sharks etc

Holland creating a market :laugh:

"Detroit isn't getting anywhere near a championship for at least another 2-3 years, so I want as few long-term veterans on the team as possible. They were smart to give Vanek a trial run, and he panned out wonderfully, so I want them to spin that into additional assets to rebuild."

Everybody who talks rebuild thinks two to three years? They said that in Buffalo, Edmonton and more than a few other teams where they are still rebuilding after six.
Let me clarify. I think the rebuild will take 5-7 years to go from cellar dweller to contender, if done smartly. But even so, the team will be pretty bad the first 2-3 of those years, and during that phase, I want max tank status, so sell off any tradeable vets for assets.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
This question shouldn't even be floated out there. Unless the Wings are about to materialize three top 4 D (with one legit top 2), two top 6 centers, a new HoF coach, and a mad scientist to fix Mrazek's brain/Howard's lower body... and they can all get into the lineup for the Hawks... you trade Tommy for the best offer at the deadline. If it's a 7th, you debate about trading his rights at the draft, then make the trade anyway.

We all know what Holland is capable of folks... don't poke the Holland... just don't

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Detroit isn't getting anywhere near a championship for at least another 2-3 years, so I want as few long-term veterans on the team as possible.

Two to three years? Try five years minimum, and that's if they get lucky at the draft. :laugh:

I don't ever see Detroit going with a full youth movement a la Edmonton. You still need skilled vets around to take the load off the kids during a long season. There's no harm in bringing a guy back like Vanek on a two-year deal if that's what he wants to do. Let's say Detroit drafts Hischier, I don't expect them to throw him onto the top line next year. They'll take their time with top picks just as they did with later ones, unless of course they draft a player like McDavid.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Two to three years? Try five years minimum, and that's if they get lucky at the draft. :laugh:

I don't ever see Detroit going with a full youth movement a la Edmonton. You still need skilled vets around to take the load off the kids during a long season. There's no harm in bringing a guy back like Vanek on a two-year deal if that's what he wants to do. Let's say Detroit drafts Hischier, I don't expect them to throw him onto the top line next year. They'll take their time with top picks just as they did with later ones, unless of course they draft a player like McDavid.
I misspoke, as I explained above. And Vanek doesn't take a center's spot as a wing. If nobody offers anything better than a 3rd or even 4th rounder, that's another story, but if they can get a high 2nd or even a 1st round pick, I do that deal all day long.

As you just said, this will be a long process. So I want lottery picks for the first 2-3 years, with as many additional draft picks as I can get. Dealing assets helps with both of those facets.

I like the odds of a top 3-5 pick becoming something special, despite a smaller veteran locker room presence, better than a guy picked in the 10-15 slot, who has a few extra older players to lean on and answer post game questions for them. Detroit is already stuck with guys like Zetterberg and Ericsson and Howard that can do that for the next few years, plus the DeKeysers and Nyquists of the world, who aren't rookies, either.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

He said "anywhere near." I thought it was pretty obvious he meant we won't be an up-and-coming team til then.

And where exactly do you think Abby, Helm, Zetterberg, Nielsen, Kronwall, and Ericsson are going?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's really all about the development of our d-men imo. If Cholowski and Hronek take a lot of time, the rebuild will take longer. In 3 years, Larkin will be 23, AA/Mantha 25, Dekeyser/Glendening/Nyquist/Tatar 29-30, Mrazek/Ouellet/Sproul 26-27, Abdelkader/Helm 32, Nielsen 35..

that's a pretty good mix. Lots of guys in the 23-30 range where most are in their prime. A couple of veterans. I like the potential of that group if we are able to add 2-3 youngsters that can make an impact.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
Vanek's value has gone up due to his very good rebound season here with the Wings. As much as I like him and how he's played for us, his best value at this point is via a trade to a contender that will net us a solid prospect or pick.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Vanek's value has gone up due to his very good rebound season here with the Wings. As much as I like him and how he's played for us, his best value at this point is via a trade to a contender that will net us a solid prospect or pick.

Agree and we can still resign him over the summer if he chooses to come back to us, But for now we might as well get the picks.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
He has definitely exceeded expectations and has been a pleasant surprise. That being said, no we should not resign him. We absolutely must deal him at the deadline. The way he is producing, we should have a late 1st coming our way with a contender jumping at this opportunity.

Hopefully his strong play with us has resurrected his career, and someone gives him a nice contract in the offseason. That someone should not be us. We need a mini 2 year rebuild with a bunch of picks.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
What are the chances Holland attempts to re-sign Vanek? We haven't been near this position in such a long time, selling at the deadline seems unimaginable no matter how far we're out. Vanek fits the profile of what Kenny believes keeps the Wing "competitive". It would burst some fans bubbles for hope of the future but I could very well see him returning next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad