Should we extend Vanek's contract?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
trade him while he has value he is not a core piece to build around because he will be too old for a core by the time all the bad contracts finally run out.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
If that's what a contender wants to justify giving up a first round pick for him, yes by all means.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Vanek's been great for us, and I was wrong about signing him. That said, he presents no real value to the team over the next 3-4 years. Trade him at the TDL for something that will.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
IF the team is solidly out of a playoff spot at the deadline. I think he should be traded.

We should really hope that we are out of a playoff spot IF you guys want that late first round pick. Because if the team improves, resigning Vanek is much more "valuable" than tradingg him for a pick.

As much as you want the team to be "rebuilding". It currently is NOT rebuilding, and how we deal with Vanek is a lot more about philosophy than it is about the player. Because it appears right now, that Vanek is "almost" the best player on the team. And looks like he could play for 5+ more years in the NHL.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No we shouldn't extend Vanek, that's silly.

Resign him in the off-season after either keeping him or TDLing him. Or don't resign him at all. No need to worry about it before then.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Hands down the most skilled guy on the team.

Given the fact that he would not sign here anyway, they should help him get to 40 +pt and 20-25 goals and then do him a big favor and trade him to a contender. No future here for a guy with his skill sets for another 8 or so years. He knows that.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
trade him while he has value he is not a core piece to build around because he will be too old for a core by the time all the bad contracts finally run out.

Yeah, this is the correct answer. The only way I keep him is if he likes the team/city and is willing to sign a short term, cap friendly deal. If he's looking for one last payday let another team swallow that contract.

We'll almost certainly be out of a playoff spot by the time we get close to the TDL and he has rehabbed his reputation and has looked fantastic. I would absolutely try to get at least one good d-man prospect in addition to a 2nd rounder. He's a big guy who can score in this league, someone is going to be willing to pay to acquire him for a Cup run.

With all that being said I can almost guarantee Holland will sign him to an absurd extension. It's what Holland does at this point in his career.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He's on pace to put up 58 points on a team that is near the bottom of the league in Goals For. He's having a great bounceback year and is likely looking to get paid and get as long of a term as possible since he's 32 years old.

Trade him at the deadline for assets. My fear is that Holland will give him a 3+ year deal with a NTC thinking he can squeeze a couple more mediocre years out of this roster.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'd like him resigned. In a perfect scenario he is traded at the deadline and resigned in the offseason for 3 years. I think trading Tatar and retaining Vanek is the right move to make. Depending what return you can get from Tatar.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Trade as a rental to a contender and sign him back at summer.
Agree, if we are out of the playoffs and if he accepts.
If we're out of a playoff spot by the TDL, Trade him to a contending team for a 2nd and maybe a 4th and then maybe this summer resign him for 3 years $10.5 million he would still be nice as a veteran presence.
Way too much.
IF the team is solidly out of a playoff spot at the deadline. I think he should be traded.

We should really hope that we are out of a playoff spot IF you guys want that late first round pick. Because if the team improves, resigning Vanek is much more "valuable" than tradingg him for a pick.

As much as you want the team to be "rebuilding". It currently is NOT rebuilding, and how we deal with Vanek is a lot more about philosophy than it is about the player. Because it appears right now, that Vanek is "almost" the best player on the team. And looks like he could play for 5+ more years in the NHL.
I read your post like 3 times and I could not figure out what you meant.:help:
Yeah, this is the correct answer. The only way I keep him is if he likes the team/city and is willing to sign a short term, cap friendly deal. If he's looking for one last payday let another team swallow that contract.

We'll almost certainly be out of a playoff spot by the time we get close to the TDL and he has rehabbed his reputation and has looked fantastic. I would absolutely try to get at least one good d-man prospect in addition to a 2nd rounder. He's a big guy who can score in this league, someone is going to be willing to pay to acquire him for a Cup run.

With all that being said I can almost guarantee Holland will sign him to an absurd extension. It's what Holland does at this point in his career.

I am afraid this is guaranteed. Holland just gives way too much. Vanek is motivated to prove something. AS soon as he signs a big deal he might become terrible.
So sign him but to a good deal.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Vanek has been a great signing, I was totally wrong about him, but it makes no sense to resign him at all. This team already has way too many expensive veterans.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Vanek for a late 1st/early 2nd. Then Green for a 1st after the expansion. Then everyone else for 2nd-4th rounders and we're in good shape for the rebuild.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Vanek has been a pleasant surprise, but we should definitely trade him at the deadline for picks. It won't happen though. Holland doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Only way Vanek isn't brought back is if Vanek doesn't want to play here.

Let's hope he can see this ship is sinking.

Also it's not like he needs the money. He is still gonna get every penny from his Minnesota contract.

Not trading Vanek at the TDL would be an incredibly short sighted move that would not help the Wings in any way since there is no chance this team is making the playoffs and even if a miracle happened and they did somehow managed to make it, the result would be more of the same.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
No. Trade him at the deadline. I like Vanek but want nothing to do with him on a long term deal.

Like having him on the team as he's a great passer and has a lot of points this season but I think people have been overrating him quite a bit.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He's proven himself, in my opinion. Should we extend him now that we can, and for how long and how much?

Have to disagree. He hasn't proven anything other than that he can play well in a contract year where his entire NHL reputation is on the line.

I loved the Vanek deal when it was signed and I think his style of play is great for this team, but I highly doubt we get the same Vanek next year or beyond when he's older and is playing for an organization in upheaval. Easy pass on keeping him around.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Extend him at a bargain, and then trade him!

Or maybe just trade him. I'm sure that was part of the sweetheart deal he gave the Wings in the first place: if the Wings are in the playoffs, he'll stay, but if they're not, he wants to be moved to a contender.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think everyone on the roster, including Larkin and Mantha, should be considered for trade if the right pieces are coming back. Wings need a top defenseman prospect and/or future draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad