Should we extend Vanek's contract?

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
While he has been great and I thought it was the only good signing at the time (currently on the Ott bandwagon as well) I would trade him in a heartbeat for a 1st round pick. At this point I'm willing to trade ANYONE if the right pieces/assets are coming back. If Mrazek was playing lights out I wouldn't want to trade him either but he hasn't been the Mrazek we have all wanted to kick Howard out for in almost a season and a half now. I think everyone is expendable. Mantha has been our best player, Larkin I wouldn't want to part with but I'm definitely questioning his ability to take the next step. He's more of a perimeter player this year and he doesn't really seem to make people better on his line as far as I can tell. If we could get a haul back for him I wouldn't mind a bit.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
My prediction is Vanek will be kept at the deadline for KH's playoff push, then Vanek will sign with a contending team in the offseason for peanuts.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I would think at this stage of his career no way he wants to be here. Maybe has 4 good years left and I doubt he wants to go thru a rebuild here

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I read your post like 3 times and I could not figure out what you meant.:help:

Let me Clarify.

What i mean is the DRW have signed players to make the playoffs this year. The DRW have not YET made any committment to a rebuild.

So we all hope a HORRIBLE season (which we are having) will result in a rebuild. If we do infact rebuild, Vanek will be traded for a draft pick (logically and obviously).

BUT if management does NOT commit to a rebuild, then Vanek is a good player, and will be resigned so we can compete next year and beyond.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Let me Clarify.

What i mean is the DRW have signed players to make the playoffs this year. The DRW have not YET made any committment to a rebuild.

So we all hope a HORRIBLE season (which we are having) will result in a rebuild. If we do infact rebuild, Vanek will be traded for a draft pick (logically and obviously).

BUT if management does NOT commit to a rebuild, then Vanek is a good player, and will be resigned so we can compete next year and beyond.

Vanek isn't going to be traded. It's laughable to suggest he will be.

You can't look at the Wings and think they will make the logical decision.

Logic went out the window with this organization a very long time ago.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Well, it takes two to tango. Even if the Wings want to resign him, does Vanek really want to stick around?

He's been having a nice bouceback year so far. If he keeps it up, while staying relatively healthy, I think he can parlay this one year "show me" contract into a pretty decent chunk of change in the offseason. Most likely from a better team, too.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
If we have the cap space and he wants to return. Has there been any talk about what the cap is going to do? A bit early for it, maybe, but I'm curious.

I think Bettman said in a Dec. presser that the cap could go up a million or so. Still early though, so take that with a grain of salt.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Common WW1987... are you ever in a good mood? Have some faith. ;P

Look at Holland's track record and you think he will trade away the Wings second most productive player on the roster at the TDL?

We already know what Holland is going to say when the TDL passes us by and the Wings do nothing to build towards the future.

"The Wings are only X points out of a playoff spot, and there is so much parity in the league that it only takes one run at the right time to make the playoffs."

Oh and we can't forget. "We have been banged up all year, and we are getting so and so back, so we feel like they are a trade deadline acquisition."

On paper it's not a horrible argument to make, but when you actually watch this team attempt to play hockey, you just can't help but laugh.

Last edited:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Look at Holland's track record and you think he will trade away the Wings second most productive player on the roster at the TDL?

We already know what Holland is going to say when the TDL passes us by and the Wings do nothing to build towards the future.

"The Wings are only X points out of a playoff spot, and there is so much parity in the league that it only takes one run at the right time to make the playoffs."

On paper it's not a horrible argument to make, but when you actually watch this team attempt to play hockey, you just can't help but laugh.

Baby steps, man, baby steps. You can't run without first learning to crawl.

Holland traded Kindl last TDL. Maybe that's the butterfly farting in Brazil that leads to the tornado in Texas.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm looking through Holland's record of being GM for a team that is more than a few points out of a playoff spot at the Trade Deadline, this is what I found:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
We are likely within 5 points of the playoffs at all times this season. It's the way the East goes, it's the way the league goes with 3 point games and the Atlantic isn't exactly the best division in the world. All of the teams have flaws in this division. Boston is still Boston, and have a struggling Patrice Begeron offensively and lack of depth defensively. Florida's taken a step back, Tampa looks average, Montreal with injuries, etc.

Vanek has been our best offensive player. Great IQ, silky hands, best passer on the team IMO. With all of that, he's not going anywhere. So with that said, I look to re-sign Thomas Vanek. He's been good value. We're a struggling offensive team yet he's been really, really good. I personally like 2 years at 4M per. Not sure how the cap works, but next year we are possibly looking at

Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha
Nyquist-Larkin-Helm/Abdelkader
Vanek-Nielsen-AA
Helm/Abdelkader-Glendening-Nosek/Sheahan

- That Abdelkader contract looks really bad with the success of Vanek and Mantha. Better options in the top nine. We don't need Helm adn Abdelkader. I kind of hope Vegas finds Helm intriguing, and then a team calls us for Jimmy Howard.

- Nosek needs waivers. I think he's worth a shot.

- Depending on where we finish, I'm inclined to trade the first rounder for a top-tier young defenseman. If we get something like fourth overall even, how would a Seth Jones trade feel to you guys? Doubt Columbus does that though.

I don't know, just thinking out loud here.

To Calgary:
Riley Sheahan
Jimmy Howard
1st Rounder (9th overall)

To Detroit:
Dougie Hamilton
2nd rounder
Michael Ferland

Darren Helm to Vegas ^^

So the line-up above minus Helmer and Sheahan. D could be Green-Ericsson, DeKeyser-Hamilton, Kronwall-Ouellet, Marchenko

Last edited:

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
We are likely within 5 points of the playoffs at all times this season. It's the way the East goes, it's the way the league goes with 3 point games and the Atlantic isn't exactly the best division in the world. All of the teams have flaws in this division. Boston is still Boston, and have a struggling Patrice Begeron offensively and lack of depth defensively. Florida's taken a step back, Tampa looks average, Montreal with injuries, etc.

Vanek has been our best offensive player. Great IQ, silky hands, best passer on the team IMO. With all of that, he's not going anywhere. So with that said, I look to re-sign Thomas Vanek. He's been good value. We're a struggling offensive team yet he's been really, really good. I personally like 2 years at 4M per. Not sure how the cap works, but next year we are possibly looking at

Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha
Vanek-Nielsen-AA

- That Abdelkader contract looks really bad with the success of Vanek and Mantha. Better options in the top nine. We don't need Helm adn Abdelkader. I kind of hope Vegas finds Helm intriguing, and then a team calls us for Jimmy Howard.

- Depending on where we finish, I'm inclined to trade the first rounder for a top-tier young defenseman. If we get something like fourth overall even, how would a Seth Jones trade feel to you guys? Doubt Columbus does that though.

To Calgary:
Riley Sheahan
Jimmy Howard

To Detroit:
Dougie Hamilton
2nd rounder
Michael Ferland

Darren Helm to Vegas ^^

So the line-up above minus Helmer and Sheahan. D could be Green-Ericsson, DeKeyser-Hamilton, Kronwall-Ouellet, Marchenko

A top 10 pick for Dougie Hamilton?

Unless Michael Ferland is some great player/prospect I haven't heard of, easy pass on that deal.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Baby steps, man, baby steps. You can't run without first learning to crawl.

Holland traded Kindl last TDL. Maybe that's the butterfly farting in Brazil that leads to the tornado in Texas.
Do you really think the butterflies fart in Brazil?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm looking through Holland's record of being GM for a team that is more than a few points out of a playoff spot at the Trade Deadline, this is what I found:

A good one. And creative answer too.

People criticise Holland, but may they?

This is Hollands record.

Holland took over a good team. He did not build the team. Fine. It was in 96/97?

Then the team won 2 cups with Holland as GM. People say he did not build that team, but he did not **** it up either.
So we lost konstatinov, he replaced him by Krupp. Very good signing at the time, though Krupp played something like 22 games over 4 years deal.

Then we could not pass round 2.
We had as good forwards and Dmen as AVS and Stars, but they had the edge in goal.
Holland sings Robotaille and Hull and trade for Hasek. Suddenly we have the edge in goal. Ok, maybe Hasek traded himself to Detroit and Holland was lucky, but you have to be lucky to be good and good to be lucky. 2002

People complained Holland/Wings bought the cup.:shakehead

The cap was introduced and Holland can't buy the cup. Can he?
Then the wings are limited to sign FAs, yet Holland/wings win the cup in 2008. (Deserved the cup in both 2007 when the refs helped the ducks pass us in conference finals and in 2009 when the refs help the cry baby win the cup). Yes Holland was lucky again getting elite players in round 6 and 7 in Datsyuk, Z and Franzen.

Holland trades for the league leading player in points, Robert Lang for peanuts.

The wings can't make it to the finals and keep on declining.

And here we are now, struggling to make playoffs.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006

Bingo.

Remember when Holland would trade Detroit's first round pick plus other picks plus prospects year after year after year chasing deadline rentals, as well as occasionally landing guys the team kept around for a while?

I remember those days. Back in that wild Usenet Newsgroups era the ol' alt.hockey.nhl.det-redwings board would be alight with fans ripping Holland for trading away the teams whole future. In the 12 drafts between 1998 and 2009 the Wings picked in round 1 exactly 5 times. Of the 36 picks they could have made between 1-3 over those drafts, the Wings actually only made 27. Holland used to not give a bleep about picks, pretty much. Certainly not about keeping them all.

In the 7 drafts since 2009 Detroit has picked in round 1 5 times, and of the initial 21 top 3 round picks the team could make they've selected 20 times.

There's a track record populated by exactly zero data points of what the Wings would do in a situation where they were soundly out of the playoffs, and we've seen Holland demonstrate a fairly diverse approach to how he treats draft assets based on the overall strategy of the team. edit: The difference most people have is whether they think the one who sets that direction is Holland, or not.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
It's kind of a dilemma...you trade him and there's no guarantee you get him back over the summer. Some other team might go over the top with offer. He's been a nice fit for this team but you see what little help does for them in the here and now.

Then again, if he can get his money elsewhere and this team can build for the future...there's nothing wrong with that.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013

Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha
Vanek-Nielsen-AA

To Calgary:
Riley Sheahan
Jimmy Howard

To Detroit:
Dougie Hamilton
2nd rounder
Michael Ferland

Darren Helm to Vegas ^^

If he puts up 60ish points and 25 g's playing on a 2nd or third line i am not sure 4 does it.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Then again, if he can get his money elsewhere and this team can build for the future...there's nothing wrong with that.
Let's not pretend like the GM has no influence, which seems to be what you do every time he's criticized.

Look at the 2015 Tigers. By all accounts, Ilitch wanted the team to buy at the deadline but Dombrowski and Avila wanted to sell. They ended up selling and got some huge pieces back in Norris and Fulmer. They would be in a miserable position today had they held on to Price and Cespedes only to lose them in FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad