Should Toronto bomb for McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Eichel does not seem as such a bad 2nd choice. Could end up better then McDavid, some say anyway. Not that knowledgable when it comes to prospects.

Exactly, he's considered generational as well. Kind of like the Ovechkin-Malkin draft. Can't go wrong finishing last...

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
Although I would never root for the team to tank... getting a top 5 pick this year would be an awesome reward and chance to grab a potential franchise player we've desperately needed

Willie Oree

Nov 30, 2010
6-8-5-13
Although I would never root for the team to tank... getting a top 5 pick this year would be an awesome reward and chance to grab a potential franchise player we've desperately needed

Top 5 does nothing we need either Eichel or McDavid... everything else puts us right back on the treadmill.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't even want to think about this at the moment.

I would hate to see Eichel or Mcdavid walk into this mess.

Hopefully we can hire a CEO that knows something about running a hockey team, by starting off by picking a president that has some Front Office experience in hockey to get this team righted.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Finishing dead last never guaranteed you anything but a top 2 pick, the same this year... Only thing is we have a 5% less chance of getting first overall than before. Guaranteed at worst the second overall pick, if we do finish last.

id take eichel 100% over making playoffs and getting beat in first round, but hey thats just me... a simple man who thinks that one round of playoffs isn't worth having a potential cup

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't even want to think about this at the moment.

I would hate to see Eichel or Mcdavid walk into this mess.

Hopefully we can hire a CEO that knows something about running a hockey team, by starting off by picking a president that has some Front Office experience in hockey to get this team righted.

I would hate to see McDavid and Eichel in Buffalo/Ottawa even more.
But what the hell...we still have our core!

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
Guys, we don't need to tank. Look how bad we are. People think that this team's 8th OV pick from last season is an aberration? This team was TERRIBLE, propped up by a ridiculous save percentage and a completely unsustainable shooting percentage. Every stat in the game, advanced or otherwise, shows that we were a bottom-5 team last year, and if Bernier's game is truly dipping (to a normal level), this team is in serious McDavid/Eichel territory.

Should we have a firesale? Or "tank?" Don't know if it's even needed. Lupul, Franson and the bottom-6 mercenaries are expendable, which should secure us a pretty high pick. Play the kids and go after one of Babcock or Blashill the minute this horror show of a season ends.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would hate to see McDavid and Eichel in Buffalo/Ottawa even more.
But what the hell...we still have our core!

I have faith in Rielly with Mcdavid or Eichel as good bookends for this organization.

We need to clean house. By the time these players get good, Kessel will be 30ish. Dion 32ish

This team's timing is all wrong, even JVR should be shopped for high picks or 20 year old former first picks. Percy and Leivo are good potential support players.

Let the 18-21 year olds grow together.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I have faith in Rielly with Mcdavid or Eichel as good bookends for this organization.

We need to clean house. By the time these players get good, Kessel will be 30ish. Dion 32ish

This team's timing is all wrong, even JVR should be shopped for high picks or 20 year old former first picks. Percy and Leivo are good potential support players.

Let the 18-21 year olds grow together.

imo we trade kessel for picks prospects (seth jones + 1st comes to mind, we may have to add bozak, so be it)
imo we trade phaneuf to highest bidder of 1sts + prospect
imo we trade lupul for 1st

only guys that we should keep?
Rielly- kid is a star
JVR-good contract, good PF with soft hands
Bernier-#1 goalie

guys who should be kept but not if we get a lot for them?
Kadri
Gardiner

everyone else on the current leafs team imo is expendable (minus the players who are under 24)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
imo we trade kessel for picks prospects (seth jones + 1st comes to mind, we may have to add bozak, so be it)
imo we trade phaneuf to highest bidder of 1sts + prospect
imo we trade lupul for 1st

only guys that we should keep?
Rielly- kid is a star
JVR-good contract, good PF with soft hands
Bernier-#1 goalie

guys who should be kept but not if we get a lot for them?
Kadri
Gardiner

everyone else on the current leafs team imo is expendable (minus the players who are under 24)

I have little confidence in Nonis as a deal broker with the trades he has made of late.

I hate to be a complete downer tonight, but this guy makes me nervous with his deals. He might even throw away the 1st pick because we are fresh out of 2nd rd picks thanks to him.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Guys, we don't need to tank. Look how bad we are. People think that this team's 8th OV pick from last season is an aberration? This team was TERRIBLE, propped up by a ridiculous save percentage and a completely unsustainable shooting percentage. Every stat in the game, advanced or otherwise, shows that we were a bottom-5 team last year, and if Bernier's game is truly dipping (to a normal level), this team is in serious McDavid/Eichel territory.

Should we have a firesale? Or "tank?" Don't know if it's even needed. Lupul, Franson and the bottom-6 mercenaries are expendable, which should secure us a pretty high pick. Play the kids and go after one of Babcock or Blashill the minute this horror show of a season ends.

Not in my books

My money is on our two leaders dion and kessel.

Dion : you and your camp extort the 6th highest cap hit among all D, that's your idea of leadership? GTFO!

Kessel: You show up to camp out of shape and play a pure perimeter game and show 0 absolure 0 sacrifice and for what, the 10th highest cap hit in the entire league?,GTFO!

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I have little confidence in Nonis as a deal broker with the trades he has made of late.

I hate to be a complete downer tonight, but this guy makes me nervous with his deals. He might even throw away the 1st pick because we are fresh out of 2nd rd picks thanks to him.

he trades our 1st i swear to god ill start a riot. what leafs need to do is pick up more top 90 picks.

last 3 years leafs had 17-18 picks, LA/Chicago both had over 20.... (i think like 22 and 23 respectively)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
he trades our 1st i swear to god ill start a riot. what leafs need to do is pick up more top 90 picks.

last 3 years leafs had 17-18 picks, LA/Chicago both had over 20.... (i think like 22 and 23 respectively)

Even I don't think Nonis is that irresponsible, Shanahan and Dubas? Who knows? There is no book on these 2. They have no experience, this could be NHL 2014 to them. Scary.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Even I don't think Nonis is that irresponsible, Shanahan and Dubas? Who knows? There is no book on these 2. They have no experience, this could be NHL 2014 to them. Scary.

I don't understand your total lack of faith. I mean they haven't been here 6 months and you already figure them to mess up. I don't think they've done anything to deserve such skepticism. As far as I'm concerned they've done as much as they could for this supposed core without completely screwing the future. Now it's just a waiting game to see if they've got it, or if it's time to blow it up. Most likely the latter.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Man I'd love McDavid, but the chance we get them even if we shipped off Kessel and Phaneuf is less than 5% imho. It's 25% (I think?) chance we get it with the last pick and unlikely we're even last place if we traded both of those.

Eichel would be a great fit on our first line with JVR/Kessel and a good 1-2 punch with Kadri too...

Ideally I'm fine with trading Lupul (1st plus from contender), Franson (2nd plus), and bottom 6 castoffs traded for picks (any). Replace with Leivo and Percy, and either package picks to get one of the top players (D Strome is actually plausible) or draft twice if we can get a potential #1C (preferably decent defensively).

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
Even if you finish 5-10 there are still lots of good players in this draft. Dylan Strome, Mcdavid's linemate, looks outstanding.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
I don't understand your total lack of faith. I mean they haven't been here 6 months and you already figure them to mess up. I don't think they've done anything to deserve such skepticism. As far as I'm concerned they've done as much as they could for this supposed core without completely screwing the future. Now it's just a waiting game to see if they've got it, or if it's time to blow it up. Most likely the latter.

I agree it's too early to be complaining about Shanahan, however I'm sure the Leafs could've lured someone with more experience.

One thing you could criticize Shanny for is extending Caryle....even if Babcock isn't on his radar Randy deserved to go. It would've been better to just let Spott run the show for a season so that when Babcock is available it's not a huge awkward situation in firing Randy. If Babcock is not available I doubt Randy sreally in the long term plans anyway.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Which direction we're heading could become clear as early as the 12 game mark. If we really flop and only manage to grab 3 of the next 10 games Shanny might consider to move in the rebuild direction.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Which direction we're heading could become clear as early as the 12 game mark. If we really flop and only manage to grab 3 of the next 10 games Shanny might consider to move in the rebuild direction.

I wish I could believe that but this organization has done nothing ever to prove that they would rebuild with high (1-3 range) draft picks to acquire the core pieces.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Of course they should. This core group has shown over and over it can't get it done.

They need to bottom out and accumulate some top-of-the-draft talent over a period of years.

Will they?

Of course not. They will "go for the playoffs" and win just enough games to ruin their draft position. Year, after year after year after year it's the same thing with this organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad