Should Toronto bomb for McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What are the Leafs chances at Connor McDavid next year?

Lets be brutality honest. This team is weak, it cannot win board battles, they cheat for offense, they are a dysfunctional group with no leadership, with a GM who doesn't have a clue, with a coach who is still stuck in the 80's.

Outside of Jonathan Bernier and opportune scoring, this team was a bottom 5 team...Since November 1st we have a win % of ~.487 and that is about sixth worst in the league.

There are 2-3 good players in the 2015 draft and I can't help but wonder if it's time to think long term.

It's not easy to find top talent. Connor McDavid or Eichel would help the Leafs a lot more than another choked, half assed effort in 2015.

I think there is just too much wrong with this team to be fixed in one year...it is much easier to get rid of guys like Lupul, Raymond, Franson, 4th line and replace them with hard working young players like D'Amigo, Holland, Percy, Granberg and let the chips fall where they may.

We can put the blame all on coaching and move forward, or try to fix this team starting next year.

You don't have to dream about Tavares in 2018, or Stamkos is 2017 when you can throw your name into a hat and get a chance at Connor McDavid.

Don't try to make the turd smell nice :laugh:, just flush it and move on.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
None.
With this teams luck we'd finish last but the league would expand by 2 teams and he'd go to Las Vegas or something.

Avec Fromage*

Approximately 0%. When was the last time this team picked first anyway?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We are not that bad.

On paper, no. In reality, yes, we are.

We have the worst collection of forwards as far as defensive responsibility goes.

Nobody in our top six can play good defense on a consistent basis. We give up 3 goals per game on a nightly basis whether our goalie is good or bad.

We live and die by outscoring our problems.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Well, hold on now. If they don't fire Crappy Randy, then they just might have a chance. Otherwise a competent coach comes in and turns them around. Aside from a few players, the team is not that bad. You are just piling on. They are lazy losers who feel that they can give up when the chips are down, but they do have talent and a good taskmaster with some kind of idea how to coach might do well with them.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Problem with the Leafs is they are to good to be really bad so the only way they might pick first would be finishing like 7th or 8th last and winning the lottery. The Leafs payroll structure makes it real hard for them to completely suck(as compared to alot of teams you see finishing near the bottom)

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Easy, just team-option Reimer to arbitration - re-sign him to what he'd be awarded...

Start him all 82 games.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Well, hold on now. If they don't fire Crappy Randy, then they just might have a chance. Otherwise a competent coach comes in and turns them around. Aside from a few players, the team is not that bad. You are just piling on. They are lazy losers who feel that they can give up when the chips are down, but they do have talent and a good taskmaster with some kind of idea how to coach might do well with them.

Leafs have now burned through two coaches with different philosophies and choked hilariously 3 years in a row.

Coaching is a problem but it's not that big of a problem.

We just have too many players that just don't want to give the same effort on defense as they do on offense.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Unless for some reason management decides to sell off everyone for picks and go with a full rebuild, no chance.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
Correct. The Leafs have only picked 1st only once. I like Clark but why couldn't it be 1984 :(. Mario fricking Lemieux.

Imagine what would be different today if that had happened. Mario running the Leafs instead of Pittsburgh...

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
On paper, no. In reality, yes, we are.

We have the worst collection of forwards as far as defensive responsibility goes.

Nobody in our top six can play good defense on a consistent basis. We give up 3 goals per game on a nightly basis whether our goalie is good or bad.

We live and die by outscoring our problems.

That's the thing though. Our offense is too good to end up last in the league.

Personally, I think Leaf's can be average defenseively if they were given a competent coach. Wilson was playing run and gun offense and he admitted it. Carlyle is known as defensive coach yet he has failed to implement a proper system. And Carlyle had better goaltending by a mile.

Someone like Berube would be great for this group of forwards.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Nonis is known to be patient, maybe too patient. It's not out of the realm of possibilities, with and injury to a key a player and an inactive offseason, I see it as a possibility, but not likely.

I think we have a better shot at being a legit contender with the right moves though.

If Shea Weber were to be shopped, and if Nonis is willing to part with the right pieces.

If I had to guess, and I'm usually very optimist, I'd say we spin our tires for another year and grab a pick around 9-17 next year. I think our GM will grab another overpaid FA and make a few OK trades. Then he's fired next offseason. Then a real rebuild begins.

I don't think Loewickie (sp?) is very patient.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Unless for some reason management decides to sell off everyone for picks and go with a full rebuild, no chance.

Miracles happen.

Chicago finished 5th in the 07 draft and that draft sucked big time outside of Patrick Kane being a star.

Philly got robbed off Kane because Chicago won and they ended up with Luke Schenn from JvR trade.

Leafs just have to finish bottom 5 to get a good chance at McDavid and it's not like he's the only great player available.

2015 is top heavy. There are quite a few good prospects.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
Not close enough. I wouldn't say no though. Everyone but Kessel, JvR, Reilly, Gards and Bernier on the table. With McDavid and Reilly we'd be set for 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad