Should Todd Bertuzzi been banned for life?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It wasn't the sucker punch that caused most of the damage. It was slamming Moore's concussed skull into the ice that tore his frontal lobe and broke his neck. The subsequent dog pile didn't help either. It was a malicious, premeditated assault from behind and it nearly killed him. In retrospect of course Bertuzzi should've been banned for life, but there was a different tolerance of violence in the league at the time.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Your avatar is three bloody Hanson brothers and you are going to use a freak incident on a routine slash as your argument?
Im foiled up, so what. Wanna see my gloves with no palms too?

Crosby plus the stuff on Gaudreau is another reason the NHL started cracking down on slashing.

(I dont have an argument here. Its a bunch of what ifs. See lumberjack Kessel)

nashnaidoo

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2004
I loathed that Canucks team and Bertuzzi in particular, but Steve Moore went headhunting and needed to stand up and take his licks. Instead he avoided it, inciting Bertuzzi to actions that were similarly egregious. I don't wish the end result of the sucker punch and then dog pile on Moore, but if he'd stood in there with Bertuzzi or Pronger he'd still have had a career.

So no to banning for life.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I loathed that Canucks team and Bertuzzi in particular, but Steve Moore went headhunting and needed to stand up and take his licks. Instead he avoided it, inciting Bertuzzi to actions that were similarly egregious. I don't wish the end result of the sucker punch and then dog pile on Moore, but if he'd stood in there with Bertuzzi or Pronger he'd still have had a career.

So no to banning for life.
You mean how Moore literally already fought earlier in that game? Is he supposed to fight every canucks player in a gauntlet style?

Feb 24, 2017
Imagine white knighting for Steve Moore, a head hunting predator of star players, in this day and age with what we know about concussions.

OH GEE I WONDER if anyone will make some remark about irony regarding poster “Scott Stevens” calling someone else a head hunting predator.

Steve Moore was a useless player only playing in place of a rash of injured Avs forwards. He was keeping his place in the lineup by taking dangerous head shots at top nhl players.

Stevens is one of the best players to ever wear skates.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It wasn't the sucker punch that caused most of the damage. It was slamming Moore's concussed skull into the ice that tore his frontal lobe and broke his neck. The subsequent dog pile didn't help either. It was a malicious, premeditated assault from behind and it nearly killed him. In retrospect of course Bertuzzi should've been banned for life, but there was a different tolerance of violence in the league at the time.

The way they fall though it never looked like a slam to me. It looked like Moore's body went limp from being knocked out and Bert went down with him since he was holding him. That part always seemed accidental. Though I'm not sure if that ultimately matters if it results directly from an initially egregious premeditated act.

Feb 24, 2017
"Players", as in plural?
Best I can currently find is a broken link from an old story about it.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/03/04/Lightning/Tortorella_repeats_ca.shtml
"CHICAGO - For the second time in two weeks, Lightning coach John Tortorella called for league MVP candidate Martin St. Louis to receive more protection from referees.
Obstruction, elbows, face-washes, Tortorella said the wing has been the target of it all. But what really got the coach steamed was when the 5-foot-8 St. Louis was cross-checked from behind into the boards by Colorado's Steve Moore during the first period of Monday's 3-0 Tampa Bay victory."

Reactions: Realgud

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Imagine white knighting for Steve Moore, a head hunting predator of star players, in this day and age with what we know about concussions.

OH GEE I WONDER if anyone will make some remark about irony regarding poster “Scott Stevens” calling someone else a head hunting predator.

Steve Moore was a useless player only playing in place of a rash of injured Avs forwards. He was keeping his place in the lineup by taking dangerous head shots at top nhl players.

Stevens is one of the best players to ever wear skates.

How many cheap shots did Moore throw in his career? You make it sound like he did this a lot. Can you provide any other examples of times where he did this?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
No and Moore milked the injury even was offered a contract by Brian Burke I believe from Ducks. He was a chicken shit borderline player that did a dirty hit and then didn't stand up and take his lumps after. He was in it for the money and sued like no tomorrow he's a piece of work no Bertuzzi shouldn't have been banned for life. That POS ruined the Canucks with that hit on Naslund and I'm still bitter. Yes I'm ranting but whatever hate that prick Moore.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No and Moore milked the injury even was offered a contract by Brian Burke I believe from Ducks. He was a chicken **** borderline player that did a dirty hit and then didn't stand up and take his lumps after. He was in it for the money and sued like no tomorrow he's a piece of work no Bertuzzi shouldn't have been banned for life. That POS ruined the Canucks with that hit on Naslund and I'm still bitter. Yes I'm ranting but whatever hate that prick Moore.
Did you miss the part where he already stood up and fought earlier in the game?

Maybe naslund should keep his head up

Reactions: Zippgunn and obZen

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Did you miss the part where he already stood up and fought earlier in the game?

Maybe naslund should keep his head up
You mean when he fought the smallest guy on ice from Canucks? Did you even see the play Naslund reaching for puck totally defenseless this clown puts shoulder straight to his head? Sorry I'm very bitter he made out better then he ever would of playing.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

This will be a play I remember for a long time. It's a pretty good comparable to me, sucker punches against unsuspecting opponents, a couple years apart from each other. One resulted in a major injury, one resulted in nothing.

Nobody calls for Jack Johnson to have a lifetime ban from hockey over it.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it was a life lesson to not run from what you have coming. if he turns around and drops the gloves with bert he misses five minutes and goes on with his life. go full bear hug and hope he doesn't get free enough to smash your head. that was the accountability of the time and the players policed it. i think this was the exact point that on ice events went from everyone on the bench looking at the toughest guy on their team to everyone on the bench looking at the officials. it was just laughably bad the runs these borderline guys were taking on superstars and refusing to answer for them. it frustrated everyone, including the league, to see star players have to deal with players evading justice decided by players. bert went way too far with it and the rats were victorious that day.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
You mean when he fought the smallest guy on ice from Canucks? Did you even see the play Naslund reaching for puck totally defenseless this clown puts shoulder straight to his head? Sorry I'm very bitter he made out better then he ever would of playing.

Not his fault no one other than Cooke would fight him. The Canucks didn’t have a tough guy at the time like Brashear. He was gone by that point.

Call someone up from the minors and tell him to beat the snot out of Moore. Then it’s over and done with and everyone can move on. Bertuzzi doesn’t get suspended, Morre doesn’t suffer a career ending injury, and we aren’t talking about this 15 years later.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Why does Bertuzzi deserve a second chance, while Moore isn't capable of having the same chance due to Bertuzzi's decisions? Shouldn't the punishment fit the crime? Or does saying sorry make up for permanently injuring someone, altering their life forever, and ending their NHL career?

This isn't Mesopotamia, 2000 BC. Gee.

Reactions: StDevs

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Bertuzzi should have gone to jail, 10 years minimum. That's aggravated assault at the very least. Then again so should a lot of other hockey players, before someone brings up the classic counter argument(not that it is one) "but muh, MMA, boxing blabla" I don't consider them sports at all and atleast they all know what they sign up for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad