Proposal: Should the Sabres be in on Gusev ?

Should we try for Gusev

• Total voters

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Gusev + Eakin for McCabe, Nylander

Throw picks in wherever needed to balance.

I'm fine with this too, because Eakin can at least rove between second and third line center. McCabe can be a replacement player for them and he is what he is. He's solid in a third line capacity and playing minimal stretches at the second line LHD. Not a huge Eakin fan, but he's an upgrade and a minimal term commitment, so I'm all about that while we get the rest of the fat trimmed off.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Nylander swap. Maybe

Still a risk
That would be awesome if Botts can pull it off. Slot him with Jeff and Jack and profit. Reinhart needs to start carrying the second line. But Gusev should be a big improvement over Nylander as the potential 3rd guy on the top line.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I don't think Nylander has that kind of value. People have seen what he can and can't do. We could offer a better prospect.
I think you're potentially trading a better player in Nylander when it's all said and done

Gusev is not even a proven nhl commodity, and he's 26 years old .

Not sure what the trade market demand on Gusev actually is right now but assuming it's not crazy, Nylander should be more than enough.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think you're potentially trading a better player in Nylander when it's all said and done

Not sure what the trade market demand on Gusev actually is right now but assuming it's not crazy, Nylander should be more than enough.
Gusev is a much better player than Nylander, at least for now. The fact that he did not play in NHL should not be a problem. He will quietly adapt to NHL, and most importantly his hands and IQ will only contribute to this.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I don't think you can acquire him without taking on Clarkson's contract as well. Which is likely the entire hold up. This might be the one trade you can get some value out of Nylander though. Vegas doesn't need to protect him in the Seattle expansion.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I don't think you can acquire him without taking on Clarkson's contract as well. Which is likely the entire hold up. This might be the one trade you can get some value out of Nylander though. Vegas doesn't need to protect him in the Seattle expansion.

My understanding is that Vegas doesn't need to protect players as they are not part of the expansion draft.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
My understanding is that Vegas doesn't need to protect players as they are not part of the expansion draft.
That's my point. Nylander would not be exempt on every other team which greatly diminishes any value he may have. No team is going to pony up much for a disappointing prospect who isn't even exempt from the expansion draft. At least with Vegas there's a chance he does well and they don't potentially lose him for nothing.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

You might be right about Nylander. He could still could develop. Sometimes I forget he's still only 20.

"Not a proven NHL commodity" doesn't evaluate how he plays the game. He should be evaluated by scouting reports, the same as draft picks. After all, draft picks aren't proven NHL commodities either.

FWIW these guys went directly to the NHL from their European teams and went on to have outstanding careers.
Mark Streit, D 27*
Niklas Backstom, G 28*
Brian Ralfaski, D 25*
*age when started in NHL

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
My lander would be just at the edge of, that hurts, which is why I put nylander. Seems like the right kind of trade both parties would be looking for.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Would love to snatch him up. Would do something around nylander for sure
I think people saying Nylander isn't enough are way off base. I could be wrong, but Nylander seems like the faster skater of the 2.

I don't even think Gusev plays center in the NHL. Although from the little I saw, it seemed like he could be equally effective on both the right or left side.

I mean, you MAY get better contribution sooner from Gusev, but still a risk you're giving up the better player in Nylander both in the short and long term frankly. Gusev has a lot to prove if you ask me. I saw him skating by virtual pylons in the khl footage I viewed.

Oddly, they actually seem like pretty similar players if you ask me.

The way I see it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think people saying Nylander isn't enough are way off base. I could be wrong, but Nylander seems like the faster skater of the 2.

I don't even think Gusev plays center in the NHL. Although from the little I saw, it seemed like he could be equally effective on both the right or left side.

I mean, you MAY get better contribution sooner from Gusev, but still a risk you're giving up the better player in Nylander both in the short and long term frankly. Gusev has a lot to prove if you ask me. I saw him skating by virtual pylons in the khl footage I viewed.

Oddly, they actually seem like pretty similar players if you ask me.

The way I see it anyway.

Disagree..the odds on production are the same for Gusev and Znylander next year. Nylander still has %5 yrs of team control after next season making less than the $4M Gusev is wanting.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Disagree..the odds on production are the same for Gusev and Znylander next year. Nylander still has %5 yrs of team control after next season making less than the $4M Gusev is wanting.
I'm pretty sure we're on the same page

I think Nylander would be MORE than enough That's if they're even interested.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Some of these proposals are insane.

McCabe alone is overpayment imo

I'd rather move McCabe than Nylander. We are loaded at LHD and lacking in skill up front like Nylander. I'm not saying Nylander is a sure bet but I've seen enough of McCabe to prefer moving him if it's in a hockey deal for forward talent, rather than give him a contract extension that hes due.

Reactions: Gordo21

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Nylander >>>Gusev

Vegas needs to include a 1st
What is the value of Nylander right now? Mid to late 2nd round pick? Gusev's should be similar if not higher. I dont think Nylander holds more value than Gusev, maybe the opposite but should be close. Lets hope they are interested in Nylander as the piece coming back. Vegas are kind of thin at C. Maaaybe Asplund+pick works instead as maybe Asplund can be a 4C for them this year. They need cheap center one way or another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad