Proposal: Should the Sabres be in on Gusev ?

Should we try for Gusev

• Total voters

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
I guess we are still not sure what Vegas ultimately does with Gusev; but it seems that they will have a lot of cap problems if they decide to retain him. He has been tearing it up over there ever since drafted by TBL and then lost in the expansion shenanigans.

He is the kind of player that might be able to drive a line, and might help Mitts intot a true top 6 role. I'm hopefully that he would turn into someone like Panarin / Dadonov, if given the right opportunity. Seems like there will be some substantial cost, maybe someone like Nylander, or could be some combination of lesser prospects + picks.

Would you guys think he's worth taking a risk on? We really really need a scoring threat from a second line. Assuming that Reinhart would be playing with the big 2 again, there really need to be another legit top 6 scorer brought in, on top of what we have right now.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I would move Nylander for him all day and pay him the 2x$4M deal without hesitation. I watched that line with him, Shipachyov and Dadonov and they were dynamite. The guy has skill and could be someone who can drive his own line. And he gets the double whammy of being in the division with the GM (Yzerman) and the team (Lightning) who told him he was only an AHL player to get him fired up for at least 10% of the season.

It's a complete risk. I would do it yesterday.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
If he's serious about adding NHL skill, there is absolutely no reason for Botteril to not at least inquire.

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Poll added

(and mods, please help correct typo in title, should be "on" instead of "a")

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I didn't vote A list prospect though I'd be fine with Nylander. I just don't know what else is considered "A List" and it depends on the prospect, though I might be shortsighted considering how could Gusev could be.

I'm willing to take back another bad contract to get Gusev as well.

Gusev + Clarkson for Nylander, McCabe + 2021 2nd.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I didn't vote A list prospect though I'd be fine with Nylander. I just don't know what else is considered "A List" and it depends on the prospect, though I might be shortsighted considering how could Gusev could be.

That's too rich for my blood. Taking on a cap dump and a giving up a prospect along with an actual player is....right in his wheelhouse. :(

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I was left wondering when Nylander became an A list prospect.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
That's too rich for my blood. Taking on a cap dump and a giving up a prospect along with an actual player is....right in his wheelhouse. :(

It might be. Shouldn't need to give up the pick OR take Clarkson, especially someone who has yet to play. However, I keep seeing there is a lot of interest in Gusev around the league so we have to present the best offer.

Plus, Gusev has to want to sign. Again. Krueger hopefully can speak a little Russian, or maybe of one our Russian posters can talk him into it.

Hell sign Greg O'Renko. Hear he's looking to come back. :sarcasm:

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
yes they should be in on him. Perfect gamble to take (with the added bonus of trying to rehab your image with Russian players). However, no, they should not trade Nylander. To me, if I'm trading Nylander, it's to sweeten the pot for Winnipeg in the Risto/Ehlers trade. Or something to that effect - giving up a cheap asset that still has upside in order to acquire a proven NHL player.

If you trade Nylander for Gusev, you might get 2 years of Gusev or whatever, but Russians players and Buffalo management (and to some extent, fans) do not mix, for whatever stupid reason(s), so he will probably arrive in Buffalo with one foot out the door the day he gets off the plane, if for no other reason than Buffalo's reputation preceding it. So, by 2022, you won't have 29-year old Gusev and you also won't have 23-year old Nylander.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Do you need to pay Nylander for him? If you want him just offer him the 4 X 2 contract he wants as an offer sheet, which they surely can’t match
This. We shouldnt be offering anything more than a 2nd round pick since you can get him on on OS for that.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Do you need to pay Nylander for him? If you want him just offer him the 4 X 2 contract he wants as an offer sheet, which they surely can’t match
He's not eligible for an offer sheet. He would need to have 1 year of professional experience (which would require playing 10 professional games while party to an NHL SPC) to be eligible for Group 2 RFA status, and he has 0.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Give me someone who isn't abrasive and looks disinterested. This would be the perfect, Hi Alex, you've been traded moment. Though Gusev hasn't had a chance in the NHL, his style fits an up tempo puck possession and he has a little Panarin possibly in him. So, I'm all about changing the room in a good way.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnumForce2

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I guess by 'A-list', I just mean notable, like a former first rounder, who still have a chance to reach potential. Not necessarily elite level player.

Ah, got it. Understandable.

yes they should be in on him. Perfect gamble to take (with the added bonus of trying to rehab your image with Russian players). However, no, they should not trade Nylander. To me, if I'm trading Nylander, it's to sweeten the pot for Winnipeg in the Risto/Ehlers trade. Or something to that effect - giving up a cheap asset that still has upside in order to acquire a proven NHL player.

If you trade Nylander for Gusev, you might get 2 years of Gusev or whatever, but Russians players and Buffalo management (and to some extent, fans) do not mix, for whatever stupid reason(s), so he will probably arrive in Buffalo with one foot out the door the day he gets off the plane, if for no other reason than Buffalo's reputation preceding it. So, by 2022, you won't have 29-year old Gusev and you also won't have 23-year old Nylander.

This. We shouldnt be offering anything more than a 2nd round pick since you can get him on on OS for that.

I'm down with throwing a 2nd round pick their way.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Of course YES! I am always very excited when I watch Nikita's game. He can do all sorts of cool things on the ice, I'm very sad that he left one of my favorite teams in NHL, but if he gets to Buffalo it will be amazing, from one favorite team to another. Honestly, Gusev is more important to me than Panarin. I would calmly give Sheary and second for him, and can keep one million from Sheary's salary.

This is not the most interesting video; there are no many best moments in it.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Of course YES! I am always very excited when I watch Nikita's game. He can do all sorts of cool things on the ice, I'm very sad that he left one of my favorite teams in NHL, but if he gets to Buffalo it will be amazing, from one favorite team to another. Honestly, Gusev is more important to me than Panarin. I would calmly give Sheary and second for him, and can keep one million from Sheary's salary.

This is not the most interesting video; there are no many best moments in it.

I think Vegas are trading him for futures and not for roster players. They dont have the capspace.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think Vegas are trading him for futures and not for roster players. They dont have the capspace.
As I understand, they wanted to sign it, but only for two million a year, and here we can give them to Sheary, he will receive two million if we keep salary and second round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad